RC Groups

RC Groups
    Waterplanes
        Discussion 1/9th scale Anderson Kingfisher

#1 CapMike Nov 26, 2011 07:50 AM

1/9th scale Anderson Kingfisher
 
3 Attachment(s)
After some discussion with a fellow RCG'r I was convinced to rework the Anderson Kingfisher in the PSM style making it light and easy to build. I am most of the way through the design of the fuselage to make it easy to build without plans.

Here are the proposed specs
span: 48.66
length: 31.33
height: 10.66
wing area: 317.33

Proposed power
I am planning an e-flite 370 1360kv motor (Used a Neo 370 1000kv)
max esc 40a (Used a Great Planes 25a)
Prop size will be 8" (Used a 9x6)
Battery is a Thunderpower 3S2100

Estimated weight should be around 25oz giving a wingloading of 11oz/sq ft. ( Prototype came in at 29oz. Had only heavy wood to cut the kit from and used MonoKote on the wing as that was the only covering I had on hand.)

Controls will be aileron/ throttle/ rudder/ elevator. I will be designing the landing gear option for dual use, but not sure whether I want to go all the way with creating the retract function of the gear or make it land adjustable. I would like to know what others would want should they buy the airplane kit.
(Retractable landing gear has been designed and the next plane will get them)

#2 CapMike Nov 28, 2011 08:19 AM

Doesn't seem to be much interest in something like this.

#3 cracksmeup Nov 28, 2011 10:53 AM

I got plans for a 80 inch wing span one that i was going to build one day. I could copy and get you a set Mike if your heart is set on one. Iam interested in any seaplanes Mike here is one i think you could tweek to fit your needs and it has folding landing gear. PDFs are here also made from depron. joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529912

#4 CapMike Nov 28, 2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cracksmeup (Post 19992546)
I got plans for a 80 inch wing span one that i was going to build one day. I could copy and get you a set Mike if your heart is set on one. Iam interested in any seaplanes Mike here is one i think you could tweek to fit your needs and it has folding landing gear. PDFs are here also made from depron. joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529912

Joe thanks for the offer on the plans. I have looked at the Volmer and downloaded those plans already. As far as your offer on the plans I appreciate it and already have a set that was drawn by Champion. Yours might be interesting to look at though.
I already have a 3D model drawn up and am working on creating the parts file for it.
Mike

#5 cracksmeup Nov 28, 2011 01:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapMike (Post 19993694)
Joe thanks for the offer on the plans. I have looked at the Volmer and downloaded those plans already. As far as your offer on the plans I appreciate it and already have a set that was drawn by Champion. Yours might be interesting to look at though.
I already have a 3D model drawn up and am working on creating the parts file for it.
Mike

I will dig mine out and see who drew them if i can tell at all. A guy in the classifieds section was selling one all framed up and i asked him if he had the plans and if he was willing to copy and send them. I sent him 15 bucks and in no time had a set of plans. I just ordered Ivans twin otter and his albatross plan and will busy for a long time with those and one more small plane i wanted to build so i dont see building the kingfisher is in my future any time soon.lol Here is a 60 inch drake but they call it a sea cruiser ,60 inch wingspan and just a blast to fly. I have plans if you need for this one also mike. It could use to be lightened up a bit but still flys great. joe

#6 CapMike Nov 28, 2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cracksmeup (Post 19993807)
I will dig mine out and see who drew them if i can tell at all. A guy in the classifieds section was selling one all framed up and i asked him if he had the plans and if he was willing to copy and send them. I sent him 15 bucks and in no time had a set of plans. I just ordered Ivans twin otter and his albatross plan and will busy for a long time with those and one more small plane i wanted to build so i dont see building the kingfisher is in my future any time soon.lol joe

Joe kind of sounds like me. I am doing the design work and will most likely have Zeke at Parkscale models sell the kit. I wanted to do something like the Drake but bigger than the one he did. I like hos small Drake, but I wanted something bigger to handle the wind we get. At any rate I plan to do it in the same style Zeke does the rest of the kits as an interlocking.

#7 racie34 Nov 28, 2011 05:21 PM

Kingfisher is a Great idea!...I have the Champion kit here and beings I like electrics and things lighter these days , may not build it...at 48"s...im in floatplane ectasy;)

#8 racie34 Dec 01, 2011 07:09 PM

how's the Kingfisher doing Mike?

#9 CapMike Dec 01, 2011 07:48 PM

I am plugging away at it Bruce. Along with getting the garage organized for the new toys coming Saturday

#10 GeoffinIN Dec 03, 2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapMike (Post 19991429)
Doesn't seem to be much interest in something like this.

I just now found this thread - and I'm interested!!!:D

Geoff

#11 CapMike Dec 03, 2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoffinIN (Post 20043519)
I just now found this thread - and I'm interested!!!:D

Geoff

Hey Geoff How are you buddy. Glad your interested.

Over the past week I have been doing a little on the design work as well as making room for the Lathe and Milling machine :D Have them home now so back to the design work.
This morning I dod a little on the Landing gear and figuring out the gear mount. Now that I have that figures out I think I can go ahead with the rest of the design work. I can post pictures of people are interested

#12 racie34 Dec 03, 2011 08:39 PM

of course we are......post em up

#13 racie34 Dec 09, 2011 04:44 PM

hows it coming along Mike?

#14 CapMike Dec 09, 2011 06:51 PM

I have the fuse completed the LG design, most of the wing completed working on the motor pod and sponsons now.

#15 CapMike Dec 09, 2011 08:59 PM

Here is a preview
 
1 Attachment(s)
Well as promised to some people here is a preview of what I have done so far. Still working on a few thing. I have the wing complete for the most part. Working on the sponson and motor pod and hope to have things done soon. Let me know what people think


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.