RC Groups

RC Groups
    Batteries and Chargers
        Lipo Fire !!!!!

#1 larryfl1 Sep 27, 2003 04:03 PM

Lipo Fire !!!!!
 
1 Attachment(s)
well I finally witnessed a lipo fire.

Gary Wright was chargin his Funtana and the next thing we knew there was smoke and flames coming from the side of the trailer...

He was charging his packs equivelant to 10s on a 636 . Everything was destroyed... The only thing to put out the fire was a powder extinguisher..

To the best of his knowledge he had the charger set correct, anyway the 8.06 firmware should have picked up if an error was made. so no one knows what exactly happened

But everything was destroyed
Here are the photos..

This was definitely a wake up call about how dangerous this stuff could be..

#2 larryfl1 Sep 27, 2003 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another photo

#3 larryfl1 Sep 27, 2003 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
last photo

#4 henke Sep 27, 2003 04:44 PM

:( sorry to read about the funtana....

wonder what made the batteries go up in flames.


/Henke

#5 GMRO Sep 27, 2003 04:45 PM

That's a terrible loss!!!

Sorry to hear about it Gary! I hope you can deterimine what the cause was...

WOW! Not a way to begin or end the day for sure.

I hope nobody was hurt.

__________
Best regards,

Ron Osinski
aka - GMRO

#6 Philip Thulin Sep 27, 2003 04:45 PM

Gezes!

I dont know what to say!
I realy feal sorry for Gary´s loss!

/Philip

#7 t-turley Sep 27, 2003 04:54 PM

There have been enough lipo incidents reported to show that we still don't completely understand this new technology. My deepest condolences to Gary. If this was to happen in someone's basement or garage...eek! I think I'll stick with the lipos that have to be charged at 1C.

Tony Turley

#8 Daren Sep 27, 2003 05:06 PM

Wow, I'm surprised this happened. Of all people, I would think Gary would know to charge these batteries out of the model and in a fire safe location. Yet another example to prove that complacency can be a dangerous attitude to take with experimental technology.

I'm sorry for his loss, and am glad it was only the model.

Daren

#9 modest-master Sep 27, 2003 05:39 PM

Larryfl1 and everybody else:
I was there 10 feet from plane.

Just to clear the situation.
Gary has been charging the batteries inside of the plane.

THE CHARGER BURNED OUT AND CAUSED FIRE no THE BATTERY.

#10 GWRIGHT Sep 27, 2003 05:45 PM

yes, i should know better,.. but as stated,.. complacency is the key. I've been flying these for a year now without any issue, have charged many times in planes, and didn't even give it a second thought. I really like the 636, but I don't think I'll be replacing it with any schulze product.

#11 sjslhill Sep 27, 2003 06:19 PM

Can we define charger burned out?
 
What happened to the charger? Burned Out and over charged the battery pacK?

thanks

Steve

#12 hoppy Sep 27, 2003 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by modest-master

THE CHARGER BURNED OUT AND CAUSED FIRE no THE BATTERY.

Please explain this statement. I don't understand what you are trying to say.

hoppy

#13 Don Sims Sep 27, 2003 06:28 PM

I'm also at a loss as to what modest-master is trying to say???? Did the charger short out then feed excessive amperage to the battery???
Don

#14 Daren Sep 27, 2003 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by modest-master
Larryfl1 and everybody else:
I was there 10 feet from plane.

Just to clear the situation.
Gary has been charging the batteries inside of the plane.

THE CHARGER BURNED OUT AND CAUSED FIRE no THE BATTERY.

I think you're saying that the charger caused the fire, not the battery. A quick question to help clarify; did the charger light the plane on fire?

Daren

#15 Dave Hederich Sep 27, 2003 08:14 PM

Gary, we're going to need your help to understand this one, which sounds as if it ranks right up there with the one about the cat chewing into the LiPo cell.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.