RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale Helicopters
        Build Log RC Aerodyne 600-sized Eurocopter Fennec AS-550 **COMPLETE!!**

#1 Mike_Then Nov 11, 2011 01:07 PM

RC Aerodyne 600-sized Eurocopter Fennec AS-550 **COMPLETE!!**

Ever since finishing my 500-sized Blackhawk build, I realized I'm enjoying scale heli flight as opposed to sport/aerobatic. So I bit the bullet finally and ordered a 600-sized Eurocopter Fennec AS550 from RC Aerodyne for my T-Rex 600e. I picked that one mainly because the installation of the heli mechanics seems straightforward. Besides that, it comes with an LED lighting kit, weapons set, cockpit kit, and pre-painted. Should be able to complete the build quickly and easily.

The link to the fuse is here. It was my birthday present to myself (Wednesday was my 40th), and it's scheduled to be here next Thursday. Will update the thread with pics once I receive the fuse.

#2 Brutus1967 Nov 11, 2011 02:27 PM

Congrats, and that looks like a beautiful machine!

Have fun building and flying it!

Brgds, Bert

#3 Keyrigger Nov 11, 2011 08:56 PM

Mike:

I have also chosen that heli for my second 550. I have the boom and torque tube already for it and when the LHS gets things setup with RCA, it is on the first group of kits to come it. I have already downloaded a number of pictures of the real ones so that I can finishe it off to match. Have fun and posts pics if you can.

Don

#4 Mike_Then Nov 16, 2011 09:30 AM

I checked the UPS tracking last night and much to my surprise, the fuse will be here today, a day early. Can't wait to get my hands on it. The T-Rex 600e flies great so no mechanical adjustments nor pre-installation flights will be necessary. I'm hoping for a very quick installation, especially since I learned a lot with the Blackhawk 500-sized install.

#5 josereyes Nov 17, 2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Then (Post 19848024)
Ever since finishing my 500-sized Blackhawk build, I realized I'm enjoying scale heli flight as opposed to sport/aerobatic. So I bit the bullet finally and ordered a 600-sized Eurocopter Fennec AS550 from RC Aerodyne for my T-Rex 600e. I picked that one mainly because the installation of the heli mechanics seems straightforward. Besides that, it comes with an LED lighting kit, weapons set, cockpit kit, and pre-painted. Should be able to complete the build quickly and easily.

The link to the fuse is here. It was my birthday present to myself (Wednesday was my 40th), and it's scheduled to be here next Thursday. Will update the thread with pics once I receive the fuse.

I see you're moving up to a 600. Awesome :) nice fuse. Keep. The pics coming.

#6 Mike_Then Nov 17, 2011 02:40 PM

Got the fuselage last night. The outside shipping carton looked like it was through the wringer but RC Aerodyne knows what they are doing... the fuse was triple boxed and the contents were flawless. Unpacked everything and the only issue was that I'm missing the scale cockpit kit... everything else was there and individually wrapped/bagged and in perfect shape. I've already dispatched a request to RC Aerodyne to have them ship me the cockpit kit. Not like I'm really missing it, but it's the principle of the thing... I paid for it, it's supposed to be part of it, you know?

Anyway, the instructions are lacking but I was able to complete the first part, which is to build the wooden frame that the landing skids and mechanics mount to. I built the front/back and the main frame, and set them aside to dry. I also glued a couple of the missiles together. That's about all I had time for last night but I did take pictures and hope to post them tonight.

My initial question is how to join the front fuselage to the tail (it's in two pieces). I guess glue it, once everything is positioned correctly?

When opening a support ticket with RC Aerodyne, I saw they had a manual on the product page... never noticed that before in all the times I looked at it :D so I downloaded/printed it. It's MUCH better than the manual that came with the fuse and can't wait to work on it tonight.

#7 Mike_Then Nov 18, 2011 08:32 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Got a fast reply from RC Aerodyne and they are sending me the cockpit kit. While I wait for that to get here, I have plenty of other things to do. :D The pics below are from the unboxing, last night, and tonight. The more I put together, the more excited I become. Enjoy!

#8 Mike_Then Nov 19, 2011 04:46 PM

18 Attachment(s)
Got a lot of work done today. Mounted a few lights, and did a lot of painting. Pics are below.

#9 Zootster Nov 19, 2011 07:22 PM

Excellent work!

#10 armyrcer Nov 19, 2011 08:25 PM

Great work I will be posting my apache 500 build log up soon. You using 3 mm or 5 mm LEDs for your lights. I saw you asking early about the tail boom and mounting. Do you have enough room to mount a few square pieces of ply and place a screw on each side to secure it in case you have to access the rear of the helicopter.i have seem it done in the past with that type of fuse.

Mike

#11 Keyrigger Nov 21, 2011 08:38 AM

Lookin' good, Mike.

Don

#12 Mike_Then Nov 21, 2011 09:52 AM

Thanks guys. I'm not sure about the lights... it's whatever came with the kit. There's not much room in the tail boom for wood blocks and screws... I thought about going that route but I think I'll just glue it together once everything is mounted and centered. It's a big heli and I don't know if I would trust screws, etc., especially because the fiberglass is not very thick back there. It doesn't line up perfectly so I've got visions of putty fillers and paint, but I don't know if I'm that brave. ;)

Didn't really get much done last night, but hope to make some more progress tonight.

#13 Mike_Then Nov 27, 2011 11:49 AM

Sorry I haven't posted in a while... I simply haven't had a chance to work on the heli. Work is really picking up with the merger getting closer, plus I'm on call this week so the workshop has remained dark. I did, however, get some work done last night and since it's too windy to fly today, I plan to spend the afternoon in the workshop and make some serious progress on this thing.

I'll post a little later this evening with pics and an update!

#14 afjetmech Nov 30, 2011 06:56 PM

We want updates!!!!!!!

#15 Mike_Then Dec 02, 2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afjetmech (Post 20016145)
We want updates!!!!!!!

Did a little more work the other night. I just haven't had the time to work on it since last Saturday. I do have plenty of pics of the build so I'll try to get a nice update this weekend. :)