RC Groups

RC Groups
    Glow to Electric Conversions
        Discussion TopFlite Cessna 182 Skylane

#1 crowe04 Oct 22, 2011 02:57 PM

TopFlite Cessna 182 Skylane

2 Attachment(s)
A couple of years ago I submitted a post asking about converting the TopFlite C182 Skylane to electric. A few replies steered me in the right direction and after a long "on again, off again" build I have finally finished the model. I used a lot of info from the TopFlite C182 Skylane ARF manual (as this has full details on making the model electric), which I downloaded from the TopFlite website, for positioning of various items. It was a fun build and only the second electric conversion that I have done. I am yet to make the first flight but the basic specs are as follows:

Motor: GreatPlanes Rimfire 1.20
ESC: GreatPlanes 80A
Motor Batteries: 2 x 3600mAh lipos (connected in parallel)
Servos: 6 (rudder; elevator; 2 x ailerons and 2 x flaps)
Flight Pack Batteries: 2 x 1100mAh nicads (running through a battery backer for redundancy)
Lighting: ElectoDynamics (2 x landing lights; 2 x nav lights; rotating beacon and 2 x strobes)
Lighting Battery: 800mAh nicad

#2 Tracon Oct 23, 2011 07:42 PM

Wow that's really nice...

I'm planning on stripping down the arf and doing a repaint on it...

Nice work any more pictures ???

Sam

#3 crowe04 Oct 25, 2011 04:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
G,day Sam,

Thanks for the comments. Have you chosen the colour scheme for your ARF repaint? I'm interested to see how it develops.
I went through the file I have and discovered I have in the region of 270 photos taken right throughout the entire three and a half year build, attached are a couple of those.

#4 Tracon Oct 25, 2011 03:20 PM

Hi Crowe,

Beautiful plane and work space you have there, I'm very inspired by your Cessna 182!.

I think I'm going to set mine up for floats and do it up the same as my 172 after a local air service here where I live (Tofino Air)

Here's a picture of my Cessna 172 a a float fly last year:

Here's a Cessna 182 I put together from CMP a few years ago:

My wife Beverly does all the photography work for us.

There's more pictures on my website here:

www.teamtracon.com

Sam

#5 ians mustang Oct 27, 2011 10:40 PM

she does great for her very first flight.

#6 stegl Nov 04, 2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowe04 (Post 19666392)
A couple of years ago I submitted a post asking about converting the TopFlite C182 Skylane to electric. A few replies steered me in the right direction and after a long "on again, off again" build I have finally finished the model. I used a lot of info from the TopFlite C182 Skylane ARF manual (as this has full details on making the model electric), which I downloaded from the TopFlite website, for positioning of various items. It was a fun build and only the second electric conversion that I have done. I am yet to make the first flight but the basic specs are as follows:

Motor: GreatPlanes Rimfire 1.20
ESC: GreatPlanes 80A
Motor Batteries: 2 x 3600mAh lipos (connected in parallel)
Servos: 6 (rudder; elevator; 2 x ailerons and 2 x flaps)
Flight Pack Batteries: 2 x 1100mAh nicads (running through a battery backer for redundancy)
Lighting: ElectoDynamics (2 x landing lights; 2 x nav lights; rotating beacon and 2 x strobes)
Lighting Battery: 800mAh nicad

I too have been working a top Flite Cessna 182 on-again, off-again and probably more off-again the last few years. I have decided that I am going to give it a go again this winter ( your summer) and see if I can get it done and finished and flown. The last two winters I have been working on Twin Otters and an Eflite deuces. I have also been thinking of electrifying the Cessna . I will send my email address as a pm to get this build and finishing pictures that you have as probably too many posts for this site. Wouls like to know how the balance worked out and the weights of the movable stuff and location of servos and so on. In other words changes from the plans.

I have decided to go with my elevator servos in the horizontal stabs like my Hanger 9( twin otter) picture attached . I have built up floats done but not finished and will build in float mounts at the same time. Just have to clean up the workshop though as it is not as sparkling as yours.

#7 stegl Nov 04, 2011 12:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Opps forgot my pics !

#8 Tracon Nov 04, 2011 01:05 PM

Hi Len,

Very nice,

Beverly got pictures of your bird at Shuswap last year...we hope to have them uploaded to our website soon...

Looking forward to the Cessna...

All the best,
Sam

#9 gewiens Nov 04, 2011 08:54 PM

Been tempted in the past to do one of these in electric. Very nice!

#10 stegl Nov 05, 2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracon (Post 19785717)
Hi Len,

Very nice,

Beverly got pictures of your bird at Shuswap last year...we hope to have them uploaded to our website soon...

Looking forward to the Cessna...

All the best,
Sam

Hi Sam;
Yes can't wait for the pics as I don't have any real good pictures myself. She does such a great job also. Will continue to add build info and pictures to this site as I couldn't find any others.

Len

#11 stegl Nov 05, 2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gewiens (Post 19789393)
Been tempted in the past to do one of these in electric. Very nice!

With all the current Brushless out there ; should not be a problem as the power is there now. Hey Sam , how is Bev making out with the Fall 2011 Shuswap pictures . I don't want to bug her. Thanks

#12 caesar95 Nov 20, 2011 04:31 PM

Very very impressive job on the Cessna (and your workspace), crowe04!
Love the simple and clean paint scheme.
Are you running on 6s battery packs for the Rimfire motor?

#13 crowe04 Nov 20, 2011 04:37 PM

I'm using two 3600mAh 4S 20C lipos connected in parallel. Still waiting on descent weather and free time to get the first flight in.

#14 caesar95 Nov 20, 2011 05:32 PM

I wonder if 4s will be enough. Top Flite 182 ARF version calls for 5s for the same motor and people go up to even 6s. What is your ready-to-fly weight?

#15 crowe04 Nov 20, 2011 09:48 PM

Ready to fly weight came in a 5kg (11lb). I couldn't find the reference in the ARF manual for the batteries, could you tell me where you saw it?