RC Groups

RC Groups
    Large Scale Cars
        Question Suggestions on building a car powered with chainsaw engine

#1 CaptainDestructo Oct 13, 2011 09:45 PM

Suggestions on building a car powered with chainsaw engine

Hey all

I know pretty much nothing about r/c stuff but would like to build a chainsaw powered car. I have a 35cc McCulloch engine and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how I might get started and what some good heavy duty steering servos would be and possibly how to wire them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 traxxas13 Oct 22, 2011 08:01 PM

well depengin on what your budget is i would just pick up a nice used hpi baja 5b. but if you are dead set on a custom depends on the weight for the servos. and what your budget is.

#3 Johnnysplits Dec 15, 2011 07:36 PM

chainsaw engine will not turn the rpm you need

#4 cheezsoup Jan 05, 2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits (Post 20149922)

Could gears not be used?

#5 traxxas13 Jan 11, 2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheezsoup (Post 20331750)
Could gears not be used?

they can but unless you have alot of time and money to have some machined it isnt worth it.

#6 txt killer Jan 17, 2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits (Post 20149922)

You don't need RPM to make speed. HP is what you use and the right gearing.:D

#7 Johnnysplits Jan 29, 2012 05:13 AM

Guess you'll be making your own gears

#8 txt killer Jan 30, 2012 06:41 PM

Chain drive is the cheapest to use and buy. You can buy gears but they will be more expensive and they have to be set right to work.:D

#9 MariusPrinsloo Apr 13, 2012 01:22 PM

I am also thinking about building a gas powered car . My choises are 15cc and 35cc .
After some searches it seems like the most commen setup is a chain drive with a ratio of 6:1 to 10:1 .

Am I wrong when I say that the starting point would be to determine how big the sprocket on the axle will be ? That way you can get wheels big enough to go with it .

I would like to keep my build as simple as possible and use a solid rear axle with suspension on the front .

#10 txt killer Apr 13, 2012 03:22 PM

Tire size will slow you down. The size of cc engine dosen't mean anything. You need at least 2 hp. Less will require a lower gear ratio.

#11 jermainezey Apr 20, 2012 06:55 AM

am bout to start abuild like this

well i know a lot about r/c nitro and gas r/c 's am bout to start a build i was going use a chain saw engine but am going be using a b and s 6.0 hp ohv engine it was free and runs great i was going go out a buy a chain to take the engine out but i then got this one for free . am not to sure if am going build a car or truck .am thinking big rig . its going be a front mounted engine with a chain runing to rear to turn a live go kart axle its going have hydraulic brakes disk brakes on the front and one on the rear axle . thats sum of my set up am still drawing out my setup and plans right now so i dont have a lot of info but i will post pics of my engine soon am going be mod it with a lighter flywheel remove gov. and add after market carb

#12 robvtol Apr 28, 2012 07:50 AM

check this one out..that I just builded.
Rc monster 110cc atv quad..test #1 (0 min 55 sec)

#13 rcphreak May 28, 2012 08:39 AM

what was used to steer this beast ive been looking to do this thanks in advance .

#14 D.V.P Jul 07, 2012 04:44 AM

Any motor will work as long as it has a clutch and you gear it correctly.

Dual chain and sprocket setup is one easy way of doing it.
I've used angle grinder heads on a few projects with good results.
They usually ahve a reduction between 3.5:1 to 4:1.

Run a small sprocket off the output on to the reat axle.
Works well.

:)