RC Groups

RC Groups
    Auto Gyros
        Discussion Charybdis- single blade Autogyro

#1 skydanz Oct 09, 2011 10:29 AM

Charybdis- single blade Autogyro
 
Invented by C.W. McCutchen in 1964, the Charybdis (from Greek mythology of a powerful whirlpool off the Sicilian coast) was designed after studying the flight characteristics of the maple seed falling from the tree. This design was scaled up from the .010 engine size to use the Cox .049 engine. The main wing uses a simple Clarke Y airfoil with 3" chord 36" long. The stab is 18" long and set at -5 degree incidence to the wing. The counterbalance sets the CG at about 1/4" ahead of the leading edge and keeps the wing level by centrifugal force.
Flights last a couple minutes on 1/2oz of fuel and then goes into auto rotation once the engine quits allowing a gentle descent back to earth.:D

Fun to watch!:popcorn:

Dons Charybdis at SCCMAS ( It's kind of a single blade helicopter ) Monocopter (5 min 26 sec)


DC

#2 britinoz Oct 09, 2011 09:07 PM

Good one DC
I can remember about 30 odd years ago seeing some thing like that fly using 3 foot wooden ruler and a Cox 0.49 I am pretty sure it was called a 'Yard Stick""
All good fun.
Chris.......

#3 skydanz Oct 09, 2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britinoz (Post 19549308)
Good one DC
I can remember about 30 odd years ago seeing some thing like that fly using 3 foot wooden ruler and a Cox 0.49 I am pretty sure it was called a 'Yard Stick""
All good fun.
Chris.......

Thanks Chris. It is an oldie but a goodie. I built a smaller version with an .010 some 25 years ago. I'm using carbon fiber tubes and commercial airfoils for this one, which weren't available back then.;) Always draws a crowd.:D
I'm bring it to a dry lake bed next week and putting higher power prop and fuel with a full tank and see what happens. I'm going for a time record.:popcorn:

I'll post results when I get back.:)

DC

#4 jodini Oct 09, 2011 09:24 PM

Great stuff Don! I'm not sure if the guys down the flight line appreciated your efforts!:D

#5 skydanz Oct 09, 2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodini (Post 19549442)
Great stuff Don! I'm not sure if the guys down the flight line appreciated your efforts!:D

LOL They all landed and wanted to watch from there. :D They were all warned of the flight well before hand and since it wasn't traveling more than 3 or 4mph, had plenty of time to avoid it. The actual pits are 180' behind that. I miscalculated the wind direction by 30' and the camera mounted on it didn't allow it to gain as much altitude as I thought so the autorotation didn't bring it further downwind. :censored:Ahh, the joys of free flight.:confused:

#6 Boneswamped Oct 10, 2011 11:06 PM

Very Cool Don.:cool:

#7 skydanz Oct 24, 2011 12:07 AM

Well the flights in the dry lake bed were uneventful. Not sure if was the altitude or bad gas but the engine runs were inconsistent.

I did three more flights today at our field and the engine ran like a champ. Virtually no wind allowed it to ascend near vertically, hover in a thermal at about200' at then land within 50' of the take off.

Everyone is asking what's next? I tell them I have a G-62 that needs to be put on something:rolleyes:

What do you think John? A nice long running rocket motor swapped out with the .049 should get that thing some altitude!:eek::censored::popcorn:

DC

#8 britinoz Oct 24, 2011 04:48 AM

G'Day Don

Have you ever seen an 0.49 bolted to a block of 4'' X 4'' X 2'' wood with a tea towell attached. Start motor,toss as high as you can, run like hell.:(
Happy Landings
Chris.............

#9 Autorotator Oct 24, 2011 12:50 PM

One Blade...
 
Hello Skydanz!

Nice and great flying machine!
I like that possibility to fly and land where it ever wants :D
Fly oneblade fly ! :eek:

Hmm... How about some RC control? And electric motor on it?

Best regards from Finland.

Kari


Quote:

Originally Posted by skydanz (Post 19678717)
Well the flights in the dry lake bed were uneventful. Not sure if was the altitude or bad gas but the engine runs were inconsistent.

I did three more flights today at our field and the engine ran like a champ. Virtually no wind allowed it to ascend near vertically, hover in a thermal at about200' at then land within 50' of the take off.

Everyone is asking what's next? I tell them I have a G-62 that needs to be put on something:rolleyes:

What do you think John? A nice long running rocket motor swapped out with the .049 should get that thing some altitude!:eek::censored::popcorn:

DC


#10 skydanz Oct 29, 2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britinoz (Post 19679595)
G'Day Don

Have you ever seen an 0.49 bolted to a block of 4'' X 4'' X 2'' wood with a tea towell attached. Start motor,toss as high as you can, run like hell.:(
Happy Landings
Chris.............

You mean something like this?:confused:

Check out this video on YouTube:

The Flying Bandana or Dons handkerchief @ SCCMAS (1 min 46 sec)


It didn't work quite like I wanted but I think it needs a bigger chute.:D

DC

#11 skydanz Oct 29, 2011 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autorotator (Post 19682811)
Hello Skydanz!

Nice and great flying machine!
I like that possibility to fly and land where it ever wants :D
Fly oneblade fly ! :eek:

Hmm... How about some RC control? And electric motor on it?

Best regards from Finland.

Kari

Yes Kari, the mount can take an electric motor and I will use a Lipo for the counterweight. It's in the works!:D:popcorn:

DC

#12 britinoz Oct 29, 2011 03:22 AM

G'Day Don\
Yes something like that .I am glad to know that I am not the only one to do real stupid things at my age.:D
Chris.....

#13 jodini Oct 29, 2011 08:43 AM

Don...you're a nut! Love it!

#14 earlwb Oct 31, 2011 11:29 AM

I love it. But how we could RC one is the trick.
I think we need to think about how to do it.

#15 skydanz Nov 15, 2011 12:32 PM

Haven't converted it to electric motor yet but got it trimmed a little better and the engine is running better.
I got a couple good flights in.

Dons single bladed free flight helicopter at SCCMAS (0 min 41 sec)

Dons Charybdis at SCCMAS (0 min 51 sec)


DC


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.