RC Groups
    Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk
        Build Log 90mm VIPER JET from HOBBYKING

#1 vettster Sep 29, 2011 04:08 PM

90mm VIPER JET from HOBBYKING

14 Attachment(s)
She's here!! and She's B E A U T I F U L:D

HobbyKing has really raised the bar now. AND!! Lowered the prices:cool:

$178??? You have to be kidding! Apearently NOT:)

The finish on this LOW COST model is simply outstanding. There are no ripples in the fuse. The covering on the wings and horizontal stabs were applied by pro's for sure.

I cant get over how big it is. I had mentioned a couple times before in other threads that I did believe in adding Landing Gear becouse they add weight, but with a plane this size it would be a Sin not too! Another thing I said was I wanted to fly it on 10s...Yeah,.. well that has now become 12s.

This is by far the best model I have ever purchased from HobbyKing. I just wish they would release a 10lb turbine to go with it:D

bottom line... If you were to walk into your LHS and see this model. You would easily expect to pay upwards of $500+

LONG LIVE THE KING!!!

To save eveyone the trouble of scowering thru hundreds of pages...the CG is set at 98-100mm from the leading edge where the wing meets the fues

#2 lightningmcnul Sep 29, 2011 04:14 PM

Awesome, get this build log going, and lets see it fly!!

#3 vettster Sep 29, 2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightningmcnul (Post 19458360)
Awesome, get this build log going, and lets see it fly!!

I cant:( It didnt come with instructions..So I dont know how to put it together:confused:

I think Ill sell it.:)

#4 Kevin Greene Sep 29, 2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettster (Post 19458396)
I cant:( It didnt come with instructions..So I dont know how to put it together:confused:

I think Ill sell it.

I'm FIRST in line to buy it...Whatcha want for it???

Kevin

#5 sscherin Sep 29, 2011 04:31 PM

Nice.. I have a friend who builds Viper jets for a living.. They need one of those in the office :)

#6 shamu Sep 29, 2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettster (Post 19458396)
I think Ill sell it.:)

better with smiley :-)

#7 strictlyscale Sep 29, 2011 04:39 PM

Trev, what are you going to put in it? Can't be too hard to figure out how it goes together...geesh you're already halfway there! ;-)
Don't let this slow down your 104 progress!

#8 vettster Sep 29, 2011 04:55 PM

Ok guys... I geuss my litle joke didnt go over to well.:o

Im not selling it. Ive built several of EDFs prior to this one.;)

Hey Sean. I was going to go with the standard ARC36-75-1t with a 120HV esc and a HET fan. But you really have to see this model in person to appreciate it. Im now considering a 12s setup with a shubler fan and maybe a HET 700 motor. Dont really know to be honest, but I dont want to cheap out on it either. This one has enter the I DO CARE if it crashes category. Dont worry about the F-104 Sean. Its still #1 and Ive got 8 more months to finish that puppy:D

Trevor

#9 pilotrcuk Sep 29, 2011 05:08 PM

I'm guessing you're happy with the model then! Good news, confirms my decision to get one! I'm keen to run an economical / light setup (I just got my hands on a Habu 32 so 2 models on the go...)

I ordered the Turnigy XK4074 1400KV motor to run on 8S in probably a HET 9305-700. We'll see how that goes!

#10 Gaz-b Sep 29, 2011 05:09 PM

No instructions well the CG will my main concern.:eek:

#11 vettster Sep 29, 2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz-b (Post 19458833)
No instructions well the CG will my main concern.:eek:

Good point! Ill just have to scale up from the 70mm HK Viper Jet I had. It was 76mm from the leading edge. Ill figure it out % wise.

#12 jofro Sep 29, 2011 05:26 PM

No wonder it is so cheap, I hope you don't expect instruction manual, probably rejects nobody wants being built like a tank, heavy for such a small model, that's what I can see from above pics. Might be a nice looking brick to fly with 12S, good luck anyway. I purchased while ago from one of "El Cheapo" merchands beautifully built ARF "Raven", still flying it, but they must have run out of balsa and light ply and instead used heavy hardwood and ply to build it, AUW is 4.5 instead 2.5kg! Lucky haven't had a dead stick yet, that will be the end of it as a glider, Joe.

#13 Gaz-b Sep 29, 2011 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well ready to get more data on this 8s motor on 10s tomoz added eflux 75mm and pito.Keeps me amused while I wait :)

#14 vettster Sep 29, 2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jofro (Post 19458995)
No wonder it is so cheap, I hope you don't expect instruction manual, probably rejects nobody wants being built like a tank, heavy for such a small model, that's what I can see from above pics. Might be a nice looking brick to fly with 12S, good luck anyway. I purchased while ago from one of "El Cheapo" merchands beautifully built ARF "Raven", still flying it, but they must have run out of balsa and light ply and instead used heavy hardwood and ply to build it, AUW is 4.5 instead 2.5kg! Lucky haven't had a dead stick yet, that will be the end of it as a glider, Joe.

You have incredible eyesight!:eek: You can look at a picture and tell how much something weighs??? This is indeed amazing.

just another jealous person. Show me YOUR 90mm Viper Jet and lets compare.
Oh that right! You dont have one. YOu only have your amazing powers that can tell everyone what the build quality is like and what crappy materials they use, even though you have never even seen one in person.

Try using you powers for good sometime.

enough Know it alls already

#15 TripleW Sep 29, 2011 05:51 PM

Looking forward to your build. V
:popcorn: