RC Groups

RC Groups
    R/C Blogs
        Cool Dynaflite Butterfly Electric Conversion

#1 xplaneguy Sep 26, 2011 12:47 PM

Dynaflite Butterfly Electric Conversion

6 Attachment(s)
Back in 2005, I built the Dynaflite Butterfly 99 inch span powered glider from a kit I purchased from Tower Hobbies. It was originally powered with an O.S. 15 FP and covered with Monokote in an Edwards AFB Flight Test scheme. After watching it collect dust for the past four years, I decided to convert it to electric using the E-Flite Power 15, 60amp ESC and a 14.8v 25 C 2200 mAh battery. The conversion only took 45 minutes with another 30 minutes devoted to reheating/cleaning the Monokote. I have four flights on it now with the new electric set up and I'm very happy. :)

Best,
Tony

#2 Fusionman Sep 26, 2011 04:54 PM

When these were built by Craft-air in the early 80's I learned to fly RC on the little brother to the Butterfly...the "Piece-o-Cake". I love your electric conversion.

#3 xplaneguy Sep 26, 2011 05:08 PM

I wish some of the other Craft-Air designs were produced by Dynaflite. The Winddrifter and Drifter II were great Craft-Air gliders. The conversion was incredibly easy. I flew it yesterday and my friends at the Muroc Model Masters were really diggin it. Good times with a classic!

Best,
Tony

#4 jyymbo Oct 30, 2011 10:06 PM

Looks great!

What size prop did you use with that set up?

Can you describe the flight characteristics a little bit with that combo - are you typically flying around 1/2 throttle, flight times, etc? How well does it climb out?

JimO
Erie, PA

#5 xplaneguy Nov 01, 2011 02:21 PM

Jim,

I'm using a 9x6 prop and cruising at just under half power. Flight times are easily 15+ minutes at cruise and climb out is fantastic.

Best,
Tony

#6 ejam Dec 05, 2011 07:50 AM

xplaneguy, Love the covering job! I built one a couple years ago, and added the same motor and esc. I bet you needed the large battery to get the cog right. Im using a 11.1 volt 3200mha lipo and a larger prop. Mine feels a little under powered, but these are not speed demons. Mine will float forever if I find a good thermal. I liked the model so well, that I built the little sister, the Peice o cake. They are so relaxing to fly. :D

#7 xplaneguy Dec 08, 2011 12:35 PM

ejam-Thank you! It was an easy scheme to do and visually great at altitude. I 'm using the 14.8 25C 2200mAh battery and the CG was perfect.

All the best,
Tony

#8 Apprentice15e Aug 26, 2012 07:59 PM

New to this plane

Hi All,

I just got this plane(airframe only) today at the my club's swap. No one has an electric conversion of this plane. And this is my first built-up plane ever.

I already have an e-flite apprentice is power 15 motor, 30 A ESC.

Can xplaneguy please post some detailed pictures of the motor mount, battery arrangement, and servos?

Thanks,