RC Groups

RC Groups
    Radios
        Discussion Thoughts and opinions on FS-TH9X 2.4GHz 9CH Transmitter

#1 RC_Crazy23 Sep 23, 2011 01:07 PM

Thoughts and opinions on FS-TH9X 2.4GHz 9CH Transmitter
 
1 Attachment(s)
Anyone using this radio? I'm considering changing out my stock Airfield radio with this one. It seems to be a steal for all the options that come with this $89.00 radio.

#2 papabearflying Sep 23, 2011 02:21 PM

Never heard of this one, a Chinese product right? If it is, is might seem cheap, but it wonīt be if you lose aeroplanes why donīt you stay with a good brand, it may be cheaper in the long run. :D

#3 RC_Crazy23 Sep 23, 2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papabearflying (Post 19401542)
Never heard of this one, a Chinese product right? If it is, is might seem cheap, but it wonīt be if you lose aeroplanes why donīt you stay with a good brand, it may be cheaper in the long run. :D


Ok, I'll stick to either spectrum, jr, aitronic, or futaba. Time for me to do a search on these radios. What do you use Papabear? And have you had any issues?

#4 monkeyhanger Sep 24, 2011 06:54 PM

The TH9x is very popular. There are 2 threads on this board dedicated to it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266162

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035575

#5 solentlife Sep 24, 2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyhanger (Post 19411577)
The TH9x is very popular. There are 2 threads on this board dedicated to it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266162

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035575

Also Owners Yahoo Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/


If you go the 9X rtoute - my personal recc'n is to not buy the Turnigy where module is hard wired in ... but a version that module is removeable. Replace with FrSky module / Rx ...

Total price will STILL be way below others and you have a rock-solid system that many have good use out of. The FrSky people are developing way ahead of others Telemetry and other aspects of RC control ... Think of the FlySky Tx - as that is the actual factory name before it gets rebranded - as the base sytem to do as you want with ... unlike higher priced gear where you cannot alter / modify / customise.

#6 Kalikikopa Sep 25, 2011 12:30 AM

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1511521

#7 Kalikikopa Sep 25, 2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papabearflying (Post 19401542)
Never heard of this one, a Chinese product right? If it is, is might seem cheap, but it wonīt be if you lose aeroplanes why donīt you stay with a good brand, it may be cheaper in the long run. :D

I mean no disrespect to you, or name brands, so my apologies if I come across that way.

There are tons and tons of posts about both Spektrum and Flysky radios. There are tons and tons of "I'm using Spektrum and I lost my plane" posts and not so much about Flysky. I do understand the whole market share and number of people using Flysky, and the other factors. But my point is name brand does not mean better than no name brands. Also price my not be the best deciding factor. Meaning you shouldn't only go on low price, or come to the conclusion that a $400 tx is any better or worse than a $40, just because it is $400.

Disclaimer:
I am by no means implying Flysky is better than Spektrum, but I will say that I'm quite comfortable with using my Flysky radios.

#8 solentlife Sep 25, 2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalikikopa (Post 19413830)
I mean no disrespect to you, or name brands, so my apologies if I come across that way.

There are tons and tons of posts about both Spektrum and Flysky radios. There are tons and tons of "I'm using Spektrum and I lost my plane" posts and not so much about Flysky. I do understand the whole market share and number of people using Flysky, and the other factors. But my point is name brand does not mean better than no name brands. Also price my not be the best deciding factor. Meaning you shouldn't only go on low price, or come to the conclusion that a $400 tx is any better or worse than a $40, just because it is $400.

Disclaimer:
I am by no means implying Flysky is better than Spektrum, but I will say that I'm quite comfortable with using my Flysky radios.

Does everyone here drive a Rolls Royce or Cadillac ? Bet there's a load of 'budget' car owners out there ... just like me. ;)

#9 RC_Crazy23 Sep 25, 2011 10:22 AM

Thanks for all of your opinions. So, it comes down to what I like, how it feels in my hands, and most importantly how reliable they are. I've started saving $$$ for a radio, motor, and esc. I will share what I plan to buy when it comes to that time.

#10 John Kim Sep 25, 2011 03:42 PM

If you need a cheap but high tech radio, 9X is your choice.

A low price in this case does not mean low grade. It is possible only in China.

#11 RC_Crazy23 Sep 26, 2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 19413320)
Also Owners Yahoo Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/


If you go the 9X rtoute - my personal recc'n is to not buy the Turnigy where module is hard wired in ... but a version that module is removeable. Replace with FrSky module / Rx ...

Total price will STILL be way below others and you have a rock-solid system that many have good use out of. The FrSky people are developing way ahead of others Telemetry and other aspects of RC control ... Think of the FlySky Tx - as that is the actual factory name before it gets rebranded - as the base sytem to do as you want with ... unlike higher priced gear where you cannot alter / modify / customise.

I was looking at the FrSky rx and the cool telemetry data. Would that show on the FS-9x LCD screen??? That would seal the deal for me.

#12 Kalikikopa Sep 26, 2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC_Crazy23 (Post 19426479)
I was looking at the FrSky rx and the cool telemetry data. Would that show on the FS-9x LCD screen??? That would seal the deal for me.


Yes, if you make it. Possibly the most active thread in this section is about the FlySky radio modifications. For telemetry some fine soldering needs to be done. 2 resistors need to be removed, two more added in and soldered to the pins of a small microcontroller.

Off hand I don't know what all information you can get on the screen, like all the info on the DHT-U screen, as I only watch signal strength and battery voltage.


http://code.google.com/p/er9x/ will give you all the information you need for turning a decent radio into a great radio.

#13 ScottSails Sep 26, 2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalikikopa (Post 19430753)
Yes, if you make it. Possibly the most active thread in this section is about the FlySky radio modifications. For telemetry some fine soldering needs to be done. 2 resistors need to be removed, two more added in and soldered to the pins of a small microcontroller.

Off hand I don't know what all information you can get on the screen, like all the info on the DHT-U screen, as I only watch signal strength and battery voltage.


http://code.google.com/p/er9x/ will give you all the information you need for turning a decent radio into a great radio.


Actually you can do the mod without removing the resistors (just cutting traces and using existing). It is unnerving to do if you are not familiar with electronics (and certainly was for me as my eyesight just plain sucks).

Scott

#14 RC_Crazy23 Sep 27, 2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottSails (Post 19431431)
Actually you can do the mod without removing the resistors (just cutting traces and using existing). It is unnerving to do if you are not familiar with electronics (and certainly was for me as my eyesight just plain sucks).

Scott

Sweet! Do you have a link or instructions with pictures on how to do this?

Thanks

#15 ScottSails Sep 27, 2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC_Crazy23 (Post 19437837)
Sweet! Do you have a link or instructions with pictures on how to do this?

Thanks

FrSky Telemetry details by Phil.
http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk...%20details.pdf

And here is a possible alternative for some that is from a HW perspective - less parts yet..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510047


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 PM.