RC Groups

RC Groups
    R/C Blogs
        Discussion End of an era as Youngleccy leaves the nest.

#1 leccyflyer Sep 19, 2011 05:57 AM

End of an era as Youngleccy leaves the nest.

I came back into the hobby of aeromodelling in 1993, soon after my boy was born. My idea was that it would be a great hobby for us to share and so, when he was a baby I embarked on learning to fly and a bit later, when he was 6 or 7 years old, he'd be ready to start flying models.

As a result, we've enjoyed some great times together at various flying fields around the country and made some great friends.

This weekend was the weekend when my boy left home, as a young man, to take up his place at University and start his career. It was quite an emotional weekend - even though he's only a couple of hours away, it's still a wrench.

Made all the more so by yesterday being the first club fun-fly event that he's ever missed. There was a big hole in my heart yesterday at the club field and something of the end of an era. One consolation though was that a clubmate, whose son went off to University this time last year, enjoyed a great day with his lad, who was back home for the holidays - so I have that to look forward to :cool:

So, I thought I'd put a few pictures up here in my blog of those earlier days and some very happy memories.

#2 warwickcorvette1 Sep 19, 2011 09:39 AM

Young Boy

I hear ya. My son left for college a month ago. He did not fly RC but I coached him in football for 8 years and lacrosse for 5. He pumps iron with me, he is also a 3rd degree black belt. When he left I just looked at the pics all over the house of all the fun times we had. I was happy but sad in a way and it has been strange without him home. He is only 2 hours away as well. A new era begins of our young men now.

#3 leccyflyer Sep 20, 2011 03:41 AM

Indeed it does.

I did the football coaching thing too, but hung my boots up about three years ago. Happy memories of that too, and those activities provide lessons in life that are invaluable, about working as a team.

Best wishes and best of luck to you and your boy in that new era. :cool:

#4 Barney Boy Sep 20, 2011 07:35 AM

You should be proud of yourself, sounds like you did a awsome job...congrats...Your son and you will allways have a special bond, with flying being the common thread. What I love about this hobby is it gives the young and old both so much satisfaction at the end of the day, not to mention the chance to hang out together...I am a new empty nester myself and fianly was able to get into the hobby, as I had all girls and they were not intrested in flying. anyways pat on the back for being there for your boy...

#5 tim hooper Sep 26, 2011 01:23 AM

My, doesn't time fly! :eek:

It seems only a few years ago that I first met you and Tim (via this ver forum too....)

You've always been a sort of inseperable double act in my books, so I expect you'll tend to make up for lost time in the Uni holidays in the future. Kudos to you and Jill for being a great parents!

Give him my best regards will you?

tim

#6 leccyflyer Sep 26, 2011 05:15 AM

Thanks Tim, I'll do that.

As you're aware, yourself, Barney and Kilowatt Kemp are all heroes in Tim's eyes and he always greatly enjoyed flying with you guys. We'll really have to get together when the holidays roll around.

Mrs L always viewed mobile telephones as the work of the devil, but she's performed a 180 degree turn in the past week, as the budding student "chef" can ring home to find out what he has to do with strange ingredients like fish fingers and left over pizza to make them edible, He's just rung her a few minutes ago, so she's happy now.