RC Groups

RC Groups
    Thermal
        Build Log Duet Beta Build

#1 schrederman Sep 16, 2011 08:46 AM

Duet Beta Build

My kit arrived yesterday in fine shape. The wood is VERY nice, and the plans are nicely done. This will be a nice model!

I'll be starting this build this weekend and I have a request... If you wish to comment, please wait until the build sequence is completed. That way, other builders will not have to sift through the oooooohhhs and aaaahhhs to get through their build. However, if you have a question about something that isn't clear to you, post away!

I'm at work as I type this, so no pics until this evening...

Jack Womack

#2 kzimmerm Sep 16, 2011 09:31 AM

Hi Jack... Look forward to your building log.
Kurt:popcorn:

#3 dwells Sep 16, 2011 12:35 PM

Sweet! :popcorn:

#4 Captain Canardly Sep 16, 2011 06:45 PM

I'm watchin' Too!

#5 schrederman Sep 16, 2011 08:15 PM

Uh... did you guys read the first post?

#6 Windependence Sep 16, 2011 08:50 PM

Jack,

I was wondering if, throughout your build, you could try to think of the perspective of a new builder and comment on or clarify steps that might be confusing. Experienced builders, like yourself, can easily look at the box of parts and intuitively know how it will go together, new builders rely much more on the instructions. Something as simple as mistaking a strip of balsa for a basswood spar strip could make for a doomed build. That type of feedback would help people here and would assist Mark in fine tuning the directions.

Wayne

#7 schrederman Sep 16, 2011 09:53 PM

Kit Pics

5 Attachment(s)
OK Sports fans... Here it is! The wood is nice and there are lots of laser-cut parts. So, here we go, on my first 2-meter glider build... :D

Please remember that this is a beta build, so some of the parts may change slightly, and your kit in the future may not look exactly like this one.

#8 schrederman Sep 16, 2011 10:07 PM

A few more...

3 Attachment(s)
And hopefully tomorrow night, I'll start the wings. This wing is undercambered, so some shimming of the trailing edge will be required, like building free-flight gliders when I was a kid... :D

Nice job, Mark!

Throughout this build, I will try to keep the explanations and directions aimed at the less-experienced builders in the group, as Wayne suggested.:cool:

#9 schrederman Sep 17, 2011 09:35 PM

OK gents... I had forgotten that you needed to type something in to subscribe... my apologies. Subscribe away...:p:D

I'll do this thing in sections and post an entire section at once... By doing so, we will be able to sift through to the build much easier.

#10 leaktech Sep 17, 2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schrederman (Post 19346879)
OK gents... I had forgotten that you needed to type something in to subscribe... my apologies. Subscribe away...:p:D

I'll do this thing in sections and post an entire section at once... By doing so, we will be able to sift through to the build much easier.

Don't need to post to subscribe. Click "Thread Tools". Sorry for the post. :o:)

#11 schrederman Sep 18, 2011 08:40 PM

Let the games begin...

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, we're starting with the wings. That's where I always start.:p

Many of you are experienced builders and will not need the level of detail that I am going to provide. Many out there in IP Land need a lot of help, so I'm going to make this as detailed as possible for their sakes.

I am starting at the tip panels and the first thing I noticed is how deeply notched the trailing edge is. Also, there is a 5-degree angle forward sweep in the trailing edge, so these notches have to be cut on that same angle. The ribs are 3/32" balsa so the notches have to be the correct width... what to do!?!?

I made a template for marking the trailing edge so I could have accurate rib notches. However, we'll do this a different way for the main panels... more on that later.

Here's what the template and trailing edge look like...

#12 SHVentus Sep 19, 2011 01:15 AM

Jack,

Does the kerf of the saw take out the 3/32" or do you need 2 parallel cuts? Do you have a pic of your saw? Do you free-hand the cuts or use a jig? (just a little more info for any newbies, or oldbies - :)). Thanks.

#13 schrederman Sep 19, 2011 08:06 AM

The slot requires 2 cuts. After the first one, you need to be careful with the second to keep it accurate, because the blade wants to drift toward the first kerf. I use the jig to mark the cuts and I mark them deeply enough to show any inaccuracies in the slot. I have a flat, fine rasp that is only 1/16" thick. It allows me to clean up the slots for a perfect fit. Trying to use the jig with the saw would wear out the jig quickly, and the slots would get wider with each pass.

#14 Mark Miller Sep 19, 2011 06:36 PM

Just an FYI for you all.... the reason for the deep slots is that the rear of this airfoil is quite thin. In the prototypes I used 3/4" TE stock and things were to flimsy back there. I left the ribs the same but went to 1" TE stock with optional scallops on the version Jack is building. It should add a lot to the structure back there.

Mark

#15 schrederman Sep 20, 2011 08:23 AM

FYI... I have a really bad cold right now. I won't be doing much on the Duet until I feel better. That's probably gonna be next week... Sorry... :(