RC Groups

RC Groups
    Foamy EDFs
        Build Log Harrier GR9 (Turned into a GR7A during build!)

#1 davylah Sep 14, 2011 04:50 AM

Harrier GR9 (Turned into a GR7A during build!)

Ok, the time has come. I've ordered a bare airframe of the Guanli Sea Harrier and have decided to convert it to an RAF Harrier GR9. I've seen so many people try and fail to make a vtol Harrier so decided to go down the 'scale' route instead. I'm planning to re-shape and extend the wingtips, along with adding bigger flaps. I'll fit the correct wing undercarriage and pylons, then move on to re-shaping the nose cone. The picture below shows how similar the 2 aircraft's outlines are, with the area forward of the intakes being most obviously different.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/z...h/Untitled.png

#2 Frenche Sep 14, 2011 05:32 AM

Great idea, I've got the Guanli Harrier sitting in a box for a rainy day, thinking of doing it up in a Falklands War scheme

#3 davylah Sep 14, 2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenche (Post 19312615)
Great idea, I've got the Guanli Harrier sitting in a box for a rainy day, thinking of doing it up in a Falklands War scheme

That would be cool. I really think Guanli has missed a trick by producing the Sea Harrier, rather than the Harrier II. I'm very biased because I spent 10 years working on them, but I just love the Harrier II and it's variants. I can't believe that there are no kits on the market for such a unique and popular aircraft. Let me know if you get anywhere with your Sea Harrier

#4 jofro Sep 14, 2011 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys, talking about Harriers, I'm just heading to the field to fly my ocean going
"Yellow Fin" variant specially design to detect foreign submersible intruders to this country, note my sonar detection device at the extreme ars of the model. Great bargain for $89- but fitted with top 70mm, 4S power unit, Joe.

#5 rush1 Sep 15, 2011 12:01 AM

Iv e seen this plane at hobby king how well does it fly ?

#6 davylah Sep 15, 2011 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jofro (Post 19318596)
Hi Guys, talking about Harriers, I'm just heading to the field to fly my ocean going
"Yellow Fin" variant specially design to detect foreign submersible intruders to this country, note my sonar detection device at the extreme ars of the model. Great bargain for $89- but fitted with top 70mm, 4S power unit, Joe.

Cool! Is it purely aesthetic, or does it have a camera or something? Yeah I planned to get the bare airframe version so I could fit my own gear to it. I've been looking at the e-flite 69mm fan on 4S. I'm planning Electric retracts for nose and main, with gws micro retracts on the wing undercarriage. I spent 10 years of my life keeping the full sized ones in the air, until our fabulous government killed them off, so they're very close to my heart.

#7 jofro Sep 15, 2011 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rush1 (Post 19321298)

Hi, I was going to load my today's flight but after viewing the footage my 70 Y/O camera guy lost more then 1/2 of it! I get someone else to film it tomorrow.
Very inefficient exit ducking, more less park flying model but still fun if you like it slow Joe.

#8 evo101 Sep 15, 2011 03:19 AM

id be interested in how this flys i also have noticed that hobby king is now selling the kit

#9 Joe 1320 Sep 15, 2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyda00 (Post 19322076)
id be interested in how this flys i also have noticed that hobby king is now selling the kit

Quote:

Originally Posted by rush1 (Post 19321298)

AV-8B Harrier.wmv (3 min 24 sec)

#10 CRCJA Sep 15, 2011 11:17 AM

Wing

Keep in mind that this wing is super thin and you will not be able to put servos on it. The ailerons servo is in the center of the wing old school trainer style with L shaped torque rods.

Ralph

Quote:

Originally Posted by davylah (Post 19312488)
Ok, the time has come. I've ordered a bare airframe of the Guanli Sea Harrier and have decided to convert it to an RAF Harrier GR9. I've seen so many people try and fail to make a vtol Harrier so decided to go down the 'scale' route instead. I'm planning to re-shape and extend the wingtips, along with adding bigger flaps. I'll fit the correct wing undercarriage and pylons, then move on to re-shaping the nose cone. The picture below shows how similar the 2 aircraft's outlines are, with the area forward of the intakes being most obviously different.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/z...h/Untitled.png

#11 davylah Sep 15, 2011 12:48 PM

I was planning on beefing the wing up with a carbon spar, and fitting the servos for aileron and retract inside the pylon. Anyone any ideas how long stuff normally takes to get to the uk from hobbyking?

#12 kinghelichopter Sep 15, 2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davylah (Post 19325581)
I was planning on beefing the wing up with a carbon spar, and fitting the servos for aileron and retract inside the pylon. Anyone any ideas how long stuff normally takes to get to the uk from hobbyking?

around 10 days , great looking project :popcorn:

dave

#13 RacerPaul Sep 15, 2011 04:56 PM

:popcorn:

#14 jofro Sep 15, 2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davylah (Post 19325581)

Wing needs strengthening, it is the weakest link! I used f/glass cloth on the bottom. BTW my sonar detection device at the rear is "CofG" ballast being so nose heavy it does the trick to minimize overall weight. Taking mine to the field today hope will get someone to vid. Joe.

#15 jofro Sep 16, 2011 02:32 AM

Short demo flight today, I'm just realizing how sluggish this model is after mainly flying now days powerful 90mm, 8-12S set ups, but still enjoyable on calmer days, Joe.
P1020775.mp4 (3 min 15 sec)