RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Plane Talk
        Discussion Flight boxes.....what are you guys using?

#1 big_poppa4904 Sep 09, 2011 12:26 AM

Flight boxes.....what are you guys using?

Trying to get a better idea for a Electric dedicated flight box. Would be nice if it held my charger too. I know Great Planes makes a nice one, but my charger is a couple inches too big to fit the targeted charger location on that box.

Post some pictures or links on what you guys are using. Weather its home-made, an actual r/c flight box, or something from the hardware store.

#2 RobC(UK) Sep 09, 2011 02:07 AM

I used to have one big field box but found it got real messed up during a days flying. I now have a small cantilever type box for field tools and spares etc and a dedicated box for my chargers and leads. All my LiPo packs get transported in a padded and insulated cooler bag.

I find this much more convenient when I need my charger at home and leads don't get lost. Also easier to pack into my car as I never place heavy items in the back with my planes.

#3 abenn Sep 09, 2011 02:36 AM

I have a pull-along toolbox that I got from a local d.i.y. store. The upper half has a couple of drawers which I keep tools and spares in, plus a box which I've divided into two to keep my transmitter and charger. It's detachable from the lower half, and has a carrying handle.

The lower half is one compartment, in which I've installed my deep cycle 12v battery and a power panel in case I want to fly glow again. In fact, the lower compartment used to carry my smaller 12v starter battery, my starter, a half-gallon fuel bottle, and a bunch of cleaning rags before I went all-electric.

#4 Tony K Sep 09, 2011 02:39 AM

I use a small pull behind luggage with the extendable handle. Using the foam stock holder for the radio, cardboard box for a small tool assortment and pockets for batteries and spare props.

#5 yorkiepap Sep 09, 2011 08:03 AM

Hey guys,
Since I usually only go out with no more than (2) planes, I picked up a couple of these HF aluminum cases..... one for the 800mm birds, & the other for the 1400mm birds. They will hold (2) tx easily & all the accessories/tools I may need. Can't beat them for the price. Here's the link....

Denny

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch...ase-39196.html

#6 Leadchucker Sep 09, 2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkiepap (Post 19268941)
Hey guys,
Since I usually only go out with no more than (2) planes, I picked up a couple of these HF aluminum cases..... one for the 800mm birds, & the other for the 1400mm birds. They will hold (2) tx easily & all the accessories/tools I may need. Can't beat them for the price. Here's the link....

Denny

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch...ase-39196.html

Use the same thing,one for batteries/charging equipment and one for tools. Only glitch is if you turn them on edge stuff gets jumbled up some, so I just keep them flatwise. Pic of test loadout,they are way more packed now.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1300828976

#7 rtbates Sep 09, 2011 09:11 AM

Field Box? Sorta... When I fly I take 1. planes 2. batteries 3. xmitter 4. Field charger (optional)

All but the planes fit in my Spektrum Xmitter case... Usually I take NO tools except a few small hand tools. This is E not IC, right?

#8 Chuck Sep 09, 2011 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what i use, Plano 737 tackle box. Lotsa room for lotsa stuff, nice compartmentalized to separate items. Holds about everything you need.

Chuck

#9 MiddleMarc Sep 09, 2011 07:34 PM

I use an old Targus notebook bag something like this:

http://imagedirectory.targus.com/im/...100&height=100

1 central cavity and 1 big velcro pouch on the front.

I keep my DX6i in its original foam container in the central cavity and a field kit in the front velcro pouch. The field kit is in three parts:
1. Small, clear zip bag for CA glue, tape, toothpicks, etc.
2. Small, clear zip bag for small tools; screwdriver with multiple tips, needle nose pliers, scissors, etc.
3. Lipo battery "caddy"

This caddy is a separate little bag that holds my 1S batteries for Ultra Micro planes plus a 2S 750 mah, 3S 1000 mah and 3S 1300 mah for my Stryker and Easy Star planes. It means I can leave the transmitter and tools in the car but take the Lipos into work with me on a hot summer day without worrying the Lipos will get too hot in my car.

Using this shoulder bag means I can carry my field kit and still have both hands free to carry two planes out to the flying field.

I also keep misc pieces like spare props, battery checker, etc. in the many little pouches and pockets that you find in such a computer tote bag.

I keep my planes in the trunk of my VW Golf and the field kit case in the car so the heavier bag won't shift around and hurt the planes.

#10 redh Sep 09, 2011 07:49 PM

Check out fishing boxes in a sports store or Wal Mart. They have some good ones that can be used. ENJOY !!! RED

#11 Ranandar Sep 09, 2011 08:15 PM

I just throw a roll of duct tape and some pliers in an old Clutch Cargo lunch box and I am good to go.

#12 mrodgers Sep 09, 2011 11:01 PM

My field box....

http://www.buildgaragecost.com/images/garage-door.jpg

#13 Hance Sep 10, 2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 19271617)
Here's what i use, Plano 737 tackle box. Lotsa room for lotsa stuff, nice compartmentalized to separate items. Holds about everything you need.

Chuck

I have the exact same box it works great.

#14 RobC(UK) Sep 10, 2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrodgers (Post 19275322)

I just gotta' see your truck. :eek:

#15 abenn Sep 10, 2011 02:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobC(UK) (Post 19275907)
I just gotta' see your truck. :eek:

Here you go :D