RC Groups

RC Groups
    Classic Pattern Flying
        Discussion Is this Dirty Birdy or a UFO?

#1 Jetpainter Sep 04, 2011 07:51 PM

Is this Dirty Birdy or a UFO?

3 Attachment(s)
I recently got back into flying after a ten year absence and decided to get one of my old pattern ships off the garage ceiling and get it flying again. I have always thought this was a Dirty Birdy, but after looking through the thread on making molds of classic pattern airplanes I now have my doubts. The vertical stab is one piece with the fuse and the push rod exits are molded in. The wing is swept back on the leading and trailing edge. When viewed from the front, the canopy is narrower at the base than it is towards the top. I guess it could be a UFO, but I don't know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.
I need to go through it from spinner to rudder before it flies again, but I am anxious to get it in the air. The top view was before I cleaned it, boy was it dirty.
Doug
Attachment 4257746 Attachment 4257747Attachment 4257748

#2 Pitstop000 Sep 04, 2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetpainter (Post 19228828)
The vertical stab is one piece with the fuse and the push rod exits are molded in.
Doug

No doubt a UfO, and a good looking Bird to boot! Very Nice !!:cool:

#3 doxilia Sep 04, 2011 08:35 PM

Yup!

Nice UFO - just like the ones I remember from the mid 80's. Is that a Webra Speed up front or an OS - hard to tell from the pics.

Na, not a Webra on closer inspection. But not an OS either. Perhaps a Kraft?

David.

#4 stuntflyr Sep 05, 2011 01:53 AM

It looks just like my UFO glass fuselage kit. Nice looking ship.
Chris...

#5 R_G Sep 05, 2011 08:34 AM

Yep! Definitely a UFO! Looks like it cleaned up nicely!

RG

#6 Jetpainter Sep 05, 2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doxilia (Post 19229119)
Yup!

Nice UFO - just like the ones I remember from the mid 80's. Is that a Webra Speed up front or an OS - hard to tell from the pics.

Na, not a Webra on closer inspection. But not an OS either. Perhaps a Kraft?

David.

It's an OS 60SR, and being on my garage ceiling for a decade didn't do it much good, but I do have a Kraft that I'm not sure has ever been run.

Thanks for all your help guys in identifying this thing. I bet it was getting an identity complex from me calling it a Dirty Birdy all these years.
I think I'm going to start a new thread about rehabbing the UFO if anyone's interested?

#7 R_G Sep 05, 2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetpainter (Post 19232470)
I think I'm going to start a new thread about rehabbing the UFO if anyone's interested?

DEFINITELY! :popcorn:

RG