RC Groups

RC Groups
    Batteries and Chargers
        Poll Do you keep your LiPos at Storage Charge?

#1 Victory Pete Jul 25, 2011 05:37 AM

Do you keep your LiPos at Storage Charge?

Do you keep your LiPos at Storage Charge? What length of time do you allow your LiPos to remain at Full Charge?
VP

#2 everydayflyer Jul 25, 2011 06:16 AM

Yes.

One to twelve hours.

Charles

#3 Bongo Fury Jul 25, 2011 06:17 AM

As much as possible yes. Helps maintain performance and capacity in my experience. Rarely have any at full charge, or even the 90% that I frequently charge to, for more than an hour or so. Easy for me after many years of using nickel cells, I just treat them the same way.

Although I don’t get too worried about an exact voltage, if they are the 3.7~3.9V per cell range I frequently leave them.

I just start the day with charging, normally I can charge them about as quickly as I can manage to get everything else ready, using up to 2C if needed. Which is hardly radical these days.

Dave

#4 crusey_aus Jul 25, 2011 06:39 AM

Always

Charge at 2c few hours before use

Cheers

#5 learn2turn Jul 25, 2011 06:40 AM

Usually the day after a fly, same day if I'm around the house, I run the Balance program on the B6 to bring them up to 1/2 charge.

One plus is that when I want fly, I only have to bring them up the other 1/2 so I doesn't take as long to get all my packs up to peak.

-l2t

#6 TreeDiver Jul 25, 2011 07:02 AM

yes, always at storage

2days max fully charged (most of time because of the weather...this happens)

#7 LeszekJ Jul 25, 2011 07:10 AM

Always at storage voltage (LiPo).
Average time ratio during flying season 1/15 (time@maxV/time@storageV)

#8 PLD Jul 25, 2011 07:23 AM

I throw mine on my normalisers... need to make a 6S version :)

#9 Ohio AV8TOR Jul 25, 2011 08:09 AM

Always charge/discharge to storage voltage

#10 teookie Jul 25, 2011 10:31 AM

Nope.

I conducted a similar poll with the guys I fly with. They all are more into electric then I am and NONE of them claims to storage charge. Sounds like it's better for the batteries if you do, but sometimes the convenience of having your packs ready 24/7 wins out over pack longevity.

#11 Azarr Jul 25, 2011 11:20 AM

I voted sometimes, but for me it depends on the pack.

The packs that cost a lot or the one's I fly infrequently always get a storage charge and the refrigerator.

The el cheapo's from HK that fly in the little foamies just about every day don't usually get a storage charge. I have my timer set and normally the little packs end up around 3.6v/cell and are charged the next day (probably 2-3days at the very most) Hasn't seemed to be a problem. I never leave them charged though.

Azarr

#12 DonA Jul 25, 2011 02:23 PM

I only leave my lipos fully charged for about 12 hours max. I usually try to judge when I will finish flying and then only charge packs I will use at the field. Then I put the last packs on storage charge while I am cleaning up and loading, BSing with friends, then I usually don't have to storage charge or discharge at home.

Don

#13 BVH Jul 25, 2011 04:07 PM

My use is completely different from most everyone here. My Lipos are used in high powered flashlights. The nature of a flashlight is to be fully charged and "ready to go" at a moments notice. Goes against my nature to keep them full, but so be it. My Lipos generally see maybe 1-2C discharge, the most loaded one at about 5C so hopefully, their life will sort of average out near what most of you get.

#14 DrV Jul 25, 2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victory Pete (Post 18855248)
Do you keep your LiPos at Storage Charge? What length of time do you allow your LiPos to remain at Full Charge?
VP

Yes, All the time in a fridge.

Max 2 hours.

#15 TreeDiver Jul 26, 2011 03:10 AM

A RC member in our club also chargers them full in the season and does no storage.
If has time he wants to fly and not charge.

If the packs are waste the next season, he simply purchases new ones

He is used to glow and does not mind.
So it is how you looked at it.