RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models
        Discussion Cheap lightweight mount fot Keychain Cam on Hobbyzone Chsmp

#1 pcnewman Jun 26, 2011 01:10 PM

Cheap lightweight mount fot Keychain Cam on Hobbyzone Chsmp

4 Attachment(s)
I put a tab of Velcro just behind the battery compartment and as far back as possible on the camera. Then I rolled a business card to make a sleeve and to act as a shim to provide some downward angle. Taped the sleeve into place and cut the tape away in front of the lans. Fed some piano wire thru the sleeve, bent sme offsets to clear the wheel pants and hooks to attach the rubber band to. Pretty crude but lightweight and you can pull the camera away from the velcro to get to the battery connector.

#2 pcnewman Jun 27, 2011 11:43 AM

What other mounts or cameras are anyone else using?

What other mounts or cameras are anyone else using? This thing weighs 1/2 as much as the plane and as a new pilot it's pretty difficult to fly.
The 5+ mph winds weren't helping either.

#3 caymin last Jun 28, 2011 10:15 AM

In the Micro RTF thread there are a few idea's, check out Fishycomics camera mount, some other guys have also built lightweight mounts for their UM Champs.
Placing the mount under a wing causes obvious balance issues, all the ones I've seen fit under the fuse, and they sometimes install larger wheels or extend the LG for ground clearance.

#4 CptnIncompetent Jun 28, 2011 07:57 PM

FWIW, you can save ~2g by removing the case, and 4.4g by removing the battery and patching in to the main power that the Champ flies off of.

With no case, you won't have any protection from water (useful if you like to fly in the morning) and the reset button won't be protected. To make mine water-resistant, I coated the board in a wicking viscosity UV epoxy. I also used a gel viscosity UV adhesive to build up a little material on either side of the reset switch to prevent accidental presses. Without protection on the switch, you risk losing the current file due to a rougher than expected landing.

Other than that, I've actually had good results just using some masking tape to mount the camera. It gives nice flexibility in positioning.

Excuse the poor flight. It was very choppy and the Champ was really getting tossed around. Camera is stripped as described above and mounted on top between the wings:
Hobbyzone Champ In The Face (0 min 19 sec)