RC Groups

RC Groups
    Life, The Universe, and Politics
        Discussion What Would Reagan Have Done?

#1 Pipemajor May 09, 2011 07:13 PM

What Would Reagan Have Done?
 
Did the only logical thing... RAISED TAXES!!!!

Excerpts from the article...
Quote:

While many commentators have focused on President George H.W. Bush and his infamous decision to raise taxes in 1990, an equally important, though often neglected, example is President Ronald Reagan, who agreed to raise taxes in 1982, 1983, and 1986. If Republicans want to seriously tackle deficit reduction, they will have to remember Reagan's full legacy -- not simply his decision to cut income taxes in 1981.
Quote:

As governor of California, Reagan had agreed to the largest tax increase in the state's history to deal with the $200 million deficit.
Quote:

Many of today's Republicans are proving to be much more ideologically rigid than their icon Ronald Reagan. Norquist is castigating and isolating a staunch conservative for saying what is rather obvious -- deficit reduction can't actually happen without raising taxes given that there are political and practical limitations to how much of government can be eliminated. Most of the major plans to come from the GOP have simply ignored this reality.

#2 rick.benjamin May 09, 2011 07:23 PM

Sigh! Sniffing bath salts?

#3 rcairflr May 09, 2011 07:38 PM

I disagree on raising taxes. I feel that we have to increase the tax base, take away all tax deductions, lower the overall rate. A few years ago I worked with a guy, who between him and his wife they made more money than myself and my wife (my wife does not work). Since they chose to have 6 kids, not only did he not pay any federal income taxes, but he got Earned Income Credit back (someone explain to me how he "Earned"it). So he gets money back and I get a big tax bill to help pay for the shmucks who don't pay anything.

This also goes for Corporations, all corporations should pay the same rate. No BS tax deductions that favor certain corporations and make it difficult for the corporations that end up paying the full rate, to be able to compete.

#4 LcJ May 09, 2011 07:50 PM

Help the debt problem in 2012


Fire Obama.

#5 rcjetpilot May 09, 2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

We'll learn whether Republicans are serious about deficit reduction when they are faced with deciding on tax increases. The ultimate response of the GOP to the debate over Coburn's comments will reveal whether fiscal conservatism is really integral to the party or whether it is primarily rhetoric used to justify large reductions in the welfare state.
Classic statism…

I’m tempted to add more but stupidity of founding concepts are lost in today’s liberalism.

#6 jumpinjo May 09, 2011 08:03 PM

I always thought a Fat Tax System would work. It would sure kill this "class envy thingy" coming from the socialist of this country and the ultra rich would pay their share too!!...;)

#7 jumpinjo May 09, 2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcairflr (Post 18191812)
I disagree on raising taxes. I feel that we have to increase the tax base, take away all tax deductions, lower the overall rate. A few years ago I worked with a guy, who between him and his wife they made more money than myself and my wife (my wife does not work). Since they chose to have 6 kids, not only did he not pay any federal income taxes, but he got Earned Income Credit back (someone explain to me how he "Earned"it). So he gets money back and I get a big tax bill to help pay for the shmucks who don't pay anything.

This also goes for Corporations, all corporations should pay the same rate. No BS tax deductions that favor certain corporations and make it difficult for the corporations that end up paying the full rate, to be able to compete.




They played the system.. Isn't it nice to have 6 kids when you can't afford them.

I've always said : If you can't afford Kids then, DON'T HAVE THEM!

#8 Pipemajor May 09, 2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LcJ (Post 18191912)
Help the debt problem in 2012


Fire Obama.

Name one Republican president who actually reduced our deficit.

#9 blademaker22 May 09, 2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjo (Post 18192012)
I always thought a Fat Tax System would work. It would sure kill this "class envy thingy" coming from the socialist of this country and the ultra rich would pay their share too!!...;)

Hey, for some people obesity is genetic! Taxing it would be unfair discrimination!!!! :D

#10 blademaker22 May 09, 2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipemajor (Post 18192038)
Name one Republican president who actually reduced our deficit.

Name one president of any party affiliation that increased our deficit by as much as Obama.

#11 Pipemajor May 09, 2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blademaker22 (Post 18192065)
Name one president of any party affiliation that increased our deficit by as much as Obama.

FDR. Defict was running 120% of GNP. Of course, back then we also were fighting 2 wars.

#12 Bflat May 09, 2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blademaker22 (Post 18192065)
Name one president of any party affiliation that increased our deficit by as much as Obama.

Now how about you name a republican president who reduced our deficit.

#13 LcJ May 09, 2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipemajor (Post 18192126)
FDR. Defict was running 120% of GNP. Of course, back then we also were fighting 2 wars.

You mean another Democrat was even worse than Obama......

#14 FrogChief May 09, 2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LcJ (Post 18191912)
Help the debt problem in 2012


Fire Obama.

Elect Ron Paul.

#15 LcJ May 09, 2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bflat (Post 18192170)
Now how about you name a republican president who reduced our deficit.

The next one if he has a conservative congress and senate!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.