RC Groups

RC Groups
    South Bay Soaring Society
        Build Log My new toy - Miles 2M RES woody - Build log

#1 atesus Apr 23, 2011 07:29 PM

My new toy - Miles 2M RES woody - Build log
 
2 Attachment(s)
Finally starting this build. This is a Philip Kolb design kitted in Turkey, has eye pleasing lines - at least for me, and will be quite a step up from my trusty Gentle Lady :). The kit is laser cut down to the cap strips so it should go together quickly even at my speed. This will be fun!

--Ates

#2 Noel Eberhardt Apr 24, 2011 10:38 PM

Please keep up posted with your progress and comments. Being that you do such beautiful construction I'm confident it'll turn out real nice. Take and post pics as you progress.

Noel

#3 bhchan Apr 25, 2011 12:28 AM

Best looking kit box!

Brian, an EAJ

#4 Noel Eberhardt Apr 25, 2011 11:00 AM

Just curious, but where did you get the kit from? Did you bring it back from Turkey?

Noel E

#5 atesus Apr 25, 2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Eberhardt (Post 18064698)
Just curious, but where did you get the kit from? Did you bring it back from Turkey?

Noel E

:D Not that the thought didn't cross my mind, but not worth the hassle. I got it from Kennedy Composites.

#6 Sailhigh Apr 25, 2011 11:48 AM

It would be nice to see a build thread. Heard lot's of good things about Miles 2M.

#7 atesus Apr 25, 2011 11:52 PM

I'll try do my best with a build thread then. But it's gonna move slooooowly, just warning :P.

#8 atesus Apr 27, 2011 01:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This evening I went over the kit wood, checked weights etc. The sheet balsa selection (grain/density/stiffness) is good for the purpose as far as I can see, with crisp laser cutting. There was no wood in the kit with any significant blemishes, though I see some minor warping in the 4mm sheet which carries the stab pieces. I guess I'll steam the stab after assembly and dry flat under pressure. The plywood sheets are also of good quality, though the thicker ply sheet which is supposed to be 2mm is more like 2.2mm thick, so it will require some thinning down when it mates up with 4mm balsa pieces in the tail feathers. The hardware kit includes steel joiners, clevises, bolts, blind nuts, etc. The stripwood is nice and straight.

The kit seems to include pretty much everything that's needed to build the plane aside from the glue. I'll use Sigbond (aliphatic glue) and 30min epoxy where needed, and will try to avoid CA glues. Actually I am tempted to try the new Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue Max on this model. According to manufacturer's description, it contains wood fibers, thus sands easily and is waterproof. Gotta try it on some scraps first.

#9 atesus Apr 27, 2011 02:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I started the build from the stab. The parts go together like jigsaw piecesand the fit is very good. The two plywood E2 pieces are laminated and drying while the rest of the stab pieces are assembled.

#10 balmy breeze Apr 27, 2011 10:12 AM

great thread...what are the black dots on the t-pins?

#11 Sailhigh Apr 27, 2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atesus (Post 18081573)
I'll use Sigbond (aliphatic glue) and 30min epoxy where needed, and will try to avoid CA glues. Actually I am tempted to try the new Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue Max on this model. According to manufacturer's description, it contains wood fibers, thus sands easily and is waterproof. Gotta try it on some scraps first.

If you are not in a real hurry, yellow carpenter's glue works really well. I've been using them on woodies for years and the planes are still held together solidly. I started using it when a couple of friends developed allergies with some CA's. Of course I still use epoxy in high stress area.

#12 atesus Apr 27, 2011 12:02 PM

Thanks BB. The black dots are nylon pin clamps from a2zcorp. They are a tight fit to the T-pins and help holding the parts down. $1.25/28pcs, very useful items indeed.

Sean, thanks for the recommendation. I'm not a fast builder, so the wood glues are fine with me. When I got back to building after a 20 year hiatus, I noticed that I had developed an allergy to CA glues so no more of that...

I glued some scraps together with Sigbond and with Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue Max and will compare tonight how it sands and how strong the bond is. I noticed that the Elmer's glue is much thicker than Sigbond, so will have to thin it down with purified water, maybe by 25% or so.

#13 atesus Apr 28, 2011 11:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Once dry, I sanded the laminated E2 assembly down to 4mm and joined the elevator parts together.

I sanded the edges of the stab top/bottom reinforcement pieces to smoothly transition down to the stab surface. I lined up the holes using the clevis studs borrowed from the hardware bag and glued the plywood parts in place, completing the stab/elevator assembly.

#14 atesus Apr 29, 2011 12:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The fin/rudder construction is similar to stab/elevator. I first laminated the horn mounts (E2s) and cut R7s from the 2x6mm spruce stock provided. The top end of R7 needs to be trimmed at 45 degrees, I do that after the glue dries.

Again I did the assembly against a straightedge. After everything was dry, I temporarily joined the fin and the rudder with masking tape and sanded their outlines together.

I touched up the pin holes with a damp Q-tip to get rid of them. I'm intending to spray paint the tail feathers and possibly the fuse.

On to the wings... :)

#15 balmy breeze Apr 30, 2011 12:23 AM

sweet, that q-tip trick is new one on me, keep em coming, and thanks, need to get my black dots ordered.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.