RC Groups

RC Groups
    Foamies (Scratchbuilt)
        Build Log Spitfire......EPP full fuse 20"ws.....**VIDEO ADDED**

#1 Aero Andy Apr 22, 2011 10:27 AM

Spitfire......EPP full fuse 20"ws.....**VIDEO ADDED**

5 Attachment(s)
I've started building this Spitfire to take a 18-11 10g motor. It will be Cox warbird size, but I want it to be able to take a few knocks so I'm using 6mm EPP, the terrain is pretty rugged here, so there's no nice green fields to land in. I decided on full fuse because I want to be able to hide all the gear away inside the fuselage, I think it looks cleaner that way.
Anyway, here's a few photos so far.

Andy

EPP Spitfire (3 min 0 sec)

#2 Aero Andy Apr 23, 2011 01:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quick update.
Firewall and 10g motor fitted, along with tail section.
Andy

#3 bluecrane Apr 23, 2011 05:22 PM

Andy

Your spitfire looks good. Keep us posted with progress pictures.

#4 rhysduk Apr 23, 2011 06:57 PM

Looking good so far :)
How did you make the fuz?

#5 Aero Andy Apr 24, 2011 12:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhysduk (Post 18050796)
Looking good so far :)
How did you make the fuz?

To make the fuse I made two elongated "tear drop" shaped tubes, one larger and one smaller. By rolling the EPP at the top and pinching together the bottom with hot glue, you end up with a tear drop shape. I then added a 35mm wide flat strip of EPP along the fuse length with a BBQ skewer glued to it, this rounded the top section more and made the whole thing rigid. The cockpit is polystyrene stuck on top of the smaller tube and sanded to shape.
Regards
Andy.

#6 rhysduk Apr 24, 2011 04:48 AM

Excellent idea thats both quick (i assume) and cheap! very nice.. Do you have any other photo's of the fuselage build?
Are you building this from an existing Spit or do you have plans? Noticed you mentioned it Cox size though.

PS: Where in Spain are you? From the videos it looks like Gran Alacant but its all the same out there :)

#7 Aero Andy Apr 24, 2011 08:00 AM

Hi Rhys

Sorry I forgot to take pictures at the very start, but I'll be doing a P-40 after this one, so I'll do a proper build log. I already have a few Gravity Cox warbirds, so getting the size right was easy, no plans though, just doing it by eye from a photo I printed out. I'll put together some plans for the next one though.
Hopefully maiden it tomorrow before I spray it, I'll let you know how it flies.

I'm in Mazarron, Murcia. Just 70km south of Alicante, so you were spot on with Gran Alicant, good guess. :D:D

All the best
Andy

#8 Eagle34 Apr 24, 2011 11:26 AM

Awesome work as usual Andy. Looks great.

#9 Prime_8 Apr 24, 2011 12:33 PM

very slick ... i love those wee 10g motors .

great way to do a fuze .

#10 Wildweasel09 Apr 24, 2011 05:18 PM

Very good Andy!
Subscribed.:popcorn:

#11 Aero Andy Apr 26, 2011 12:50 AM

Thanks Guys, glad you like the idea of the rolled fuze.
Ok, well I've maidened it, and it flew all right, but not great. So I've made some changes, and now it flies perfectly. Here's what I altered.

Changed the kf airfoil for a simple under camber wing.

Cut along under the length of the fuze and widened the underneath by 12mm, this gave the wing more stability and I was able to push the gear farther forward to get the CG right.

Added more surface area to the elevator to gain better authority.

Now it flies as it should, I'll get a video sorted over the next day or two. In the mean time I've sprayed it up and I'll post some pictures later.
As a prototype I'm really pleased with it, but I'll be doing another build incorporating these alterations from the start.

Andy

#12 Aero Andy Apr 28, 2011 12:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's the finished Spitfire, all painted up.
Andy

#13 Prime_8 Apr 28, 2011 12:42 AM

looks good man.

#14 rhysduk Apr 28, 2011 03:10 AM

Looking very nice Andy :)
Just noticed the belly of the bird, surely you're going to be putting skids or wheels on it? That aileron servo will get ruined other wise :)

#15 Aero Andy Apr 28, 2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhysduk (Post 18091244)
Looking very nice Andy :)
Just noticed the belly of the bird, surely you're going to be putting skids or wheels on it? That aileron servo will get ruined other wise :)

Hi Rhys

That's a good point, I think I'll quickly glue a couple of under wing scoops on this one, as it was just a trial build. The next Spitfire will be a proper build from plans I'll sketch up, and post, and I'll be adding landing gear on that one.

Cheers
Andy