RC Groups

RC Groups
    Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric)
        Discussion Double Horse 9104 Helicopter 3 channel Single Rotor Copter

#1 killbucket Apr 12, 2011 09:30 PM

Double Horse 9104 Helicopter 3 channel Single Rotor Copter

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/723e7fe...3.36.02_PM.png
You gotta see the New Double Horse 9104.
3-channel, 2 blade,

http://hobby-estore.info/images/doub...e/dh9104-5.JPG
Twenty-six inch main rotor.

Obviously, there is a "Market Gap" these newer single-rotors fill, because more are coming...and I prefer 3-channel flying's simplistic control: almost like a ground vehicle. EASY.

#2 Frank_fjs Apr 12, 2011 09:38 PM

Still with only 3 channels, really? A single rotor with 3 channels... :rolleyes:

Go to the 9100 thread and read all the posts from people stating "my 9100 pushes to the left on take-off, how do I counteract this?" - with a 4th channel!

#3 Xrayted Apr 12, 2011 10:18 PM

Its sort of like saying a dump truck with no steering wheel will somehow be better than a pickup truck with no steering wheel;) Bigger is the obvious solution to a terrible design.

#4 Balr14 Apr 13, 2011 12:15 AM

I'm constantly amazed at the extents some people will go to, to avoid 4 channels.

#5 killbucket Apr 13, 2011 04:04 PM

Well, a Big shiny RED one is on the way anyway, another buddy bought two of them, over on the truck forum. At the price, they will make nice tinker-toys.

Yes, I myself trashed the smaller 9100 pretty well, My effort to line up prospective "winners" of the thing resulted in SIX, yes, 6, people interested. And yet many purchases followed. It seems that some are happy with them; my opinions should be greatly weighted. I guess you just fly out of the bad takeoff, and keep going.

On some Dead-Calm Day in the future, I'll take both out back and try to stir some dust-bunnies up with them. Both dogs will be under lockdown in the kennel, and wife-Person will be also likewise safely distant.
You are all 100% correct- this is a Hobble-copter, and should be treated as such. As for the derision, many of us tried out 2-channels of this same size from "Ecoman*" not long ago.

My 9100 is still in its original box, deemed too dangerous. No reason to believe this model would be any different...it's in my Happy Price Range, so have one I must.
For all the money I've spent on copters, I could probably have something really, really nice to replace parts on, this is just me.

*Shatter-Tastic things, the bits really spread out on landing.

#6 Balr14 Apr 13, 2011 05:20 PM

That's awfully big to have crippled controls. The wind catches that thing wrong, and you could have yourself some big trouble. When they are that big, I want 6 channels.

#7 Microbaba Apr 13, 2011 05:31 PM

What I don't get I if they go to that much trouble, why not just make it 4 channel? Perhaps because they want to attract the toy-pilots?

It looks delicious though, which lets face it KB, it why you are buying it.:p

#8 TeeJayBee Apr 13, 2011 05:34 PM

LOL
Even I wasn't daft enough to start out with a 3ch (as I knew I needed to move on)

But if you like big and simple and can't make your mind up over 3 or 4 ch then take a look at this whopper

http://www.cyberportpic.com/heli2/8005a.jpg

Loads of them dirt cheap on ebay

:)

#9 Microbaba Apr 13, 2011 05:46 PM

I admitt, the size thing is appealling, the problem is that nobody is going to buy one to find out if it's mod-able.

Apparently the bigger the less movement. They might call them, "hover-giants". Get your no channel hover giant. Too big to fly indoor, no channels to fly outdoor, but great for showing off with, you could bolt one in your front patio. Jst go for the biggest.:D

#10 Balr14 Apr 13, 2011 06:03 PM

The problem with any fixed pitch heli is the moving rotor (or rotors in the case of a coax) is effectively a solid disk, air currents will not penetrate it. If wind gets under that disk, it's just like a kite. All you can do is cut throttle and hope for the best. With a CP heli, you have negative pitch to counteract the wind.

#11 Microbaba Apr 13, 2011 06:11 PM

Balr, deep down we believe in magical fantasies, deep down we think physics can be denied and a super-toy will be created. We know it can't be done, and yet we desire to bang our heads against the wall. I ask myself WHY do I do this. WHHHHHHHHHHHHHY! :D

#12 Balr14 Apr 13, 2011 09:30 PM

You have no idea how true that is. There are so many people in this hobby now that have no concept of physics and mechanical designs.

#13 Frank_fjs Apr 13, 2011 10:31 PM

This is what I don't understand...

If you buy a single rotor helicopter, you obviously want to advance your skills and progress from the coaxial design. Fine. So why on earth would you get a 3 channel single rotor?

The 9100 and 9104 are the only two that are existence and there's a reason for that.

A 3 channel single rotor will be more difficult to fly than a 4 channel single rotor, a 4th channel adds much needed lateral movement.

#14 killbucket Apr 14, 2011 04:39 PM

It can all come down to a simple "I like it, and I'm getting one".:D

If these turn out to be short-offered things, I have one of each for posterity.
Like I said, I already know of others who've decided to try one (or more!) for the heck of it. We aren't all dead serious about copters, and I myself am still having a ball bumbling in cripple mode.

3 channel airplanes. Do those pilots get the same pigeon-holing?
I'm not into 3-channel because of the price, simplicity, or accessibility. I like them due to all three. I'm just glad I assembled a decent fleet before the cloners took over the market.

#15 TeeJayBee Apr 14, 2011 05:47 PM

Today I got a teeny weeny coax (4ch) all the way from China
Too little too late, I ordered it 6 weeks ago and by the time it arrived I'm onto CP

Gotta say though it was a well made little heli, hovering was hands free out of the box, so I phoned my som in law and suggested he come over to get it for my grandson to play with

4ch is essential IMHO, you can avoid collisions indoors much easier with the lateral movement