RC Groups

RC Groups
    Batteries and Chargers
        Question How to balance LiPo batteries without a balance charger

#1 NEW222 Apr 10, 2011 11:48 AM

How to balance LiPo batteries without a balance charger

Hi there. I know and understand that balancing batteries is important, but how does one do it without a balance charger. I have all 2s batteries 1300mAh and less. All but one has a balance lead. And for chargers, I have a E-Flite Celectra 1-3s charger, Blade 7.4 balance charger, and a Triton Jr charger. Also, I have a Astro Blinky. So is there any tricks or tips that I can use to get my batteries to the storage voltage of 3.8V per cell? Also, does it have to be 3.8V, or close to the recommended 3.8V? Thank you.

#2 everydayflyer Apr 10, 2011 12:39 PM

Storage 3.7 to 4.0 per cell . 3.85 is exactly in the middle and thus why I have recomended it for approx. 5 yeras now. Six years ago most new LiPolys were shipped at 3.7 per cell now most at 3.8 to 3.85 per cell.

Without a charger with Dsc. to storage then a 12V auto tail light bulb can be used or do like many others and just make th last flight a shorter one so they are at 3.8 or so per cell.

#3 NEW222 Apr 10, 2011 02:32 PM

Ok then. How does one do the taillight bulb then. My batteries have all mini JST connectors, from factory. Do I solder a taillight bulb to the JST, plug in till voltage is reached then balance, or get a female balance plug and do it through that?

#4 everydayflyer Apr 10, 2011 04:07 PM

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=bulb

Stay with the LiPols during discharge or you will be sorry when you overdischarge them.

Charles