RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models
        cox mini sky cruiser

#1 vinnyg Aug 14, 2003 08:50 AM

cox mini sky cruiser

i dont know if anyone has tried this yet but it is a great conversion. i remember someone did a spicy wing conversion that looked similar to the sky cruiser but i am not sure. i got the low wing version of the plane from walmart for $7. i had a motorworks car from there as well. and i also had a airhogs plane that is the same thing as a echarger. i used the sky cruiser prop and the echarger motor, with the motorworks rx (with no reverse mod) and 3 nimh's. i did not give it rudder control because i just wanted to see if it would fly. well, it definately flies and has plenty of power! i threw it in my garage and from hand level it was at the ceiling in no time. it flew great outside as well. but after a few flights the motor started to got really slow and eventually stop even with a full charge. i thought i had burnt out the rx but it ran my other motors just fine. so i opened up the m20 and saw that half of one of the brushes was gone. i dont know why. it cant be from the voltage, it didnt even get warm. i think it might have been from too many crashes. im going to get another motor and will post my results. this is a great conversion to try. so do it! thanks for reading. vin

#2 Mike Taylor Aug 14, 2003 10:22 AM

Vin,

The Mini Sky Cruisers are the same as the Spicy Wings except they are sold under the Cox label instead of the Estes label, and they have different color schemes. I have a conversion article on my web site in the 'Micro Planes' page and also on DWE's website (http://www.smallrc.com under the 'Documentation' heading).

I used the KP-00s on mine and they will fly pretty good with that set up, but the plane in the movie (Spicy Wings over T.O.) doing the aerobatics used a Kenway 4.2:1 gearbox with the KP-00 sized motor from the E-Charger plane and a 4 1/2 prop for a CO2 motor. The prop is about the same as the 10 cm prop that Bob Selman recommends for the Kenway set ups he sells at http:/www.users.joplin.com/~bselman