RC Groups

RC Groups
    Giant Scale Airplanes
        Build Log Third Scale Piper cherokee Archer

#1 Keith Pyrah Mar 27, 2011 03:38 AM

Third Scale Piper cherokee Archer

5 Attachment(s)
I finally managed to get a reprint from an old full size magazine of the Cherokee family of airplanes that showed fuz sections.
The print was only at A4 size but it provided enough info together wth the downloaded full size manual and lots of photographs of the full size to enable me to produce a correct working outline drawing for the proposed model.
Th A4 was enlarged by my local plan printers and I traced off the relavent views of the correct model.
These were then enlarged to the neccessery size and corrections made for errors based on full size photographs.

#2 BROZ Mar 27, 2011 06:50 AM

Neat! Subscribe!

#3 EJWash1 Mar 27, 2011 10:57 AM

I always learn from your builds. Thank you for sharing!

Subscribed!

EJWash

#4 tailskid2 Mar 28, 2011 08:43 PM

I'm in!

#5 Keith Pyrah Mar 29, 2011 12:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The stabiliser is almost complete. The almost full length trim tab also is a balancing tab which operates as the all moving stabiliser moves. My next job is to make the mechanism (with the help of a friend with a milling machine) to operate this feature.

#6 supercubman Mar 30, 2011 06:58 PM

Looking great Keith!! Do you plan on fixed or retractable gear?

Looking forward to this build!! Trey

#7 Keith Pyrah Mar 31, 2011 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Trey
The Cherokee Archer is a fixed undercarriage with spats as can be seen in the picture in the firrst post on this thread.
I have had alittle break from the Cherokee to produce some more scale details for the Luscombe ready for this seasons flying.

#8 Keith Pyrah Apr 07, 2011 09:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
After considerable study I have concluded that to to be able to finish the cabin area inside to scale it will be neccessery to produce the upper cabin area in glass fibre.Whilst waiting for a delvery of blue foam I have proceeded with some of the more mundane elements of the model.

#9 4075aaron Apr 07, 2011 09:57 AM

Very nice! :popcorn:

#10 tailskid2 Apr 07, 2011 11:32 PM

Are you doing the 'Hersey Bar' wing or the tapered one?

#11 Keith Pyrah Apr 08, 2011 12:06 AM

The full size the model is based on has the Hershey bar wing.

#12 LN-JET Apr 19, 2011 04:50 AM

Hello Keith,
Nice subject, although I am more fan of the basic 140/180 look.
Which magazine had the 3-views? I started a 3d model some time ago just based on a lot of pictures. I am pretty confident with my sections, but It would have been nice to compare.
Are you planning to use the original laminar airfoil? I think a model of your size, and lightly loaded would be ok with it.

Lars
http://www.modellflynytt.no/attachme...34348-pa28.jpg

#13 LN-JET Apr 19, 2011 04:58 AM

Hello again,
is it possible that this drawing is the same as yours?

Lars

#14 Keith Pyrah Apr 20, 2011 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Lars

The reprint was from December 1975 scale models. See the relevant page below.

Keith

#15 Keith Pyrah Apr 25, 2011 02:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Progress report
Preperation of the control surface sheeting prior to machining.
The fin and rudder is built using using 2014 arrow shafts and 5mm carbon tubes for the rudder to maintain alignment. The carbon tubes have been removed from the rudder now they are no longer required. The arrow shafts will eventually stay in the fin and will go through the top of the fuz to the lower skin to provide rigidity for the finished model.