RC Groups

RC Groups
    FPV Talk
        New Product New Version of Jackaroo UAV Coming for FPV

#1 jtprouty Mar 24, 2011 08:41 AM

New Version of Jackaroo UAV Coming for FPV

2 Attachment(s)
Hangar 18 is pleased to announce that we have a licensing agreement with AttoPilot International to develop and produce an FPV version of the Jackaroo UAV. The new airframe will be a lower cost version that is designed and built with the FPV enthusiast in mind and will feature lower cost materials to let us pass the savings on to you. Please e-mail us at infor@hangar18uav.com and watch our website for updates in the very near future.

Jimmy

#2 rclab1 Mar 24, 2011 11:27 AM

#3 Wearyman Mar 24, 2011 12:54 PM

That is one funny looking plane.

Kinda looks like a cardboard tube with wings, a motor, and a dome on the front. :) Ah well, whatever works I guess.

#4 jtprouty Mar 24, 2011 01:04 PM

Actually, it's a toilet paper roll with cardboard wings.....:p

But seriously, the Jackaroo was designed by AttoPilot International using computational fluid dynamics to produce the most efficient plane for the mission. There are a bunch of Jackaroos out there now and have proven to be very reliable, robust airframes. Our goal is to bring a more affordable version to the FPV enthusiast.

#5 THE_SHRUB Mar 24, 2011 01:14 PM

Got a name for it yet?

I think it should be named "The Joey" since it looks like a miniature version of some of your other UAV's :D

#6 VRflyer Mar 24, 2011 01:17 PM

It look very efficient indeed. Very nice plane. I will try it if it is affordable

#7 c4v3man Mar 24, 2011 01:20 PM

Is the camera dome in the front going to be carried over to the lower cost version, or is that being eliminated to cut costs. Such a shame to have to put the camera out in the airstream when the dome would both protect the camera and make it more efficient...

#8 THE_SHRUB Mar 24, 2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4v3man (Post 17774570)
Is the camera dome in the front going to be carried over to the lower cost version, or is that being eliminated to cut costs. Such a shame to have to put the camera out in the airstream when the dome would both protect the camera and make it more efficient...

Well since it's being "designed with the FPVer in mind" I would assume that the dome would come standard.

I really like the concept of this plane, I will be watching the development on this thread very closely :p

#9 c4v3man Mar 24, 2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_SHRUB (Post 17774596)
Well since it's being "designed with the FPVer in mind" I would assume that the dome would come standard.

I really like the concept of this plane, I will be watching the development on this thread very closely :p

The grey version has a camera pod, the white one does not... I thought it was a legitimate question?

I'm just saying if it's in the premium $200+ airframe market I would assume most customers would expect a decent quality camera dome to be included.

#10 rclab1 Mar 24, 2011 06:15 PM

#11 airmcn_3 Mar 24, 2011 09:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by c4v3man (Post 17775591)
The grey version has a camera pod, the white one does not... I thought it was a legitimate question?

I'm just saying if it's in the premium $200+ airframe market I would assume most customers would expect a decent quality camera dome to be included.

Dome is included. The white bird does not have one as the customer ordered it without. That is an option with the all composite sUAS bird.

We will offer kit form and RTF.

Keep in mind to have a nice clear dome with little to no distortion or defects we have to pay a little more on the front end. Between the cost of EPP and the dome we will have to be careful how we price it. Believe me when I say we want everyone to be able to enjoy our birds and cost is a key player in the outcome.

There is a lot of room so get ready to finally have a purpose built FPV bird that allows everything to be located inside to leave you with a aerodynamically "Clean" aircraft. We also would like to keep it "packable" for trips or small vehicles.

We have flown the composite version up to 7lbs and 11000MAh of 3 cell battery!

Chris McNair
AttoPilot International, LLC

#12 airmcn_3 Mar 24, 2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rclab1 (Post 17777226)
The Jackeroo looks like a aerodynamic bullet with wings:cool:
After all said and done, I believe that this thing will fly like a FunJet/Stryker,
but with the runtimes of 3x-4x longer.....:eek:

I stopped using the Stryker for FPV because my average runtime was
~9min-12min.... too short for me. You guys have to call them
and ask about the glide factor, and the ability to use in very high windy
conditions.

This plane was design for efficiency, and endurance.

The stats on this Jackeroo awed me.

(but time will tell on someone's review) :)

p.s.
I wish they had a video of this plane, seems like it will fulfill almost the FPV'ers needs.
ie....slow, fast, very long flights.....

As soon as Jimmy has the foam bird cut out we will get you good video. Only video we have is of the high end composite aircraft guided by a solid AP system.

#13 jtprouty Mar 24, 2011 10:31 PM

Sorry for the delayed response - had my eyes dilated by an optometrist today and can just now see normally!!!

The camera dome will be standard on the FPV version. We're working on the domes now and they will actually determine the diameter of the fuselage.

Jimmy

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_SHRUB (Post 17774596)

#14 chancesAU Mar 24, 2011 10:35 PM

This is great news! :)
I cant wait to see the final product.

#15 Mikey636 Mar 24, 2011 10:56 PM

Looks very very similar to a Scan Eagle..