RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sport Planes
        Build Log Stevens AeroModel - SkyBoy (600)

#1 simages Mar 20, 2011 10:44 AM

Stevens AeroModel - SkyBoy (600)

2 Attachment(s)
The SAK-SKYBOY600 Kit arrived Saturday and certainly like what I see, although that was expected. :)

When I returned to the hobby in 2006 I didn't even have an x-acto knife so, starting over was a slow process. My first challenge was having limited building space in my 1 bedroom condo. So, the solution was to go to the "heli" dark side! :eek:

Atleast I got back into RC however; my airplane parts bin suffered or should I say non-existant. Which is why I like the idea of working on a proven kit design that includes quality hardware.

#2 jswain Mar 20, 2011 01:15 PM

You have made a great choice...

this looks like a really fun model and StevensAero makes the best e-powered kits today (imho). A couple of us have recently been working on another Stevens e-power kit and you can't go wrong with your current project.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...94700&page=374

john s.

#3 simages Mar 22, 2011 01:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Man these SA kits are made so well, they don't even need any glue..... :rolleyes: The elevator is as big as the Skybuggy 100!

Plan to go with Yellow, White and Blue

#4 simages Mar 23, 2011 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Only up to page 15 of 55.... :o not much progress, but I might get a snow day tomorrow. :rolleyes:

#5 simages Mar 26, 2011 08:14 PM

Page 24 of 55

1 Attachment(s)
Still a dream to build with not a problem.... ;)

#6 retiredVTT Mar 26, 2011 10:14 PM

link...

http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...r-p-20489.html

Bill

#7 simages Mar 27, 2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredVTT (Post 17797442)

Thanks - I have all the links posted in my RCG Blog for this model and the SKYBUGGY 100 and 300. ;)

#8 simages Mar 27, 2011 03:07 PM

Page 32 of 55

2 Attachment(s)
Hacthes finaished as well.....

#9 Dereck Mar 27, 2011 05:46 PM

A little complicated in the woodworking dept, but definitely closing on the "Low Winged Bee That Never Really Was' concept.

D

#10 simages Mar 27, 2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dereck (Post 17804508)
A little complicated in the woodworking dept, but definitely closing on the "Low Winged Bee That Never Really Was' concept. D

Seems to have a bit of FORD Flivver in it as well....

#11 theK2 Mar 27, 2011 10:22 PM

I'm tracking almost right along with your progress so far on my own build of the SA Skyboy. This is my second SA kit, but the first was the second kit Bill every made (CAP232 as seen in my blog). Things have REALLY improved since that first kit and he managed to improve on an already amazing build quality. When I opened the Skyboy kit my first question was "Where are the plans?!" Even my CAP232 had build plans. This kit is so amazingly precise in the laser cutting of the parts --- as long as you have a good flat surface to build on, you almost can't go wrong (assuming you follow the instructions).

Now that the work week is upon us again, I doubt I'll get on to the wing until next weekend but I've subscribed to your thread to keep up with the progress!

#12 simages Mar 28, 2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2_02 (Post 17806963)
I'm tracking almost right along with your progress so far on my own build of the SA Skyboy. This is my second SA kit, but the first was the second kit Bill every made (CAP232 as seen in my blog). Things have REALLY improved since that first kit and he managed to improve on an already amazing build quality. When I opened the Skyboy kit my first question was "Where are the plans?!" Even my CAP232 had build plans. This kit is so amazingly precise in the laser cutting of the parts --- as long as you have a good flat surface to build on, you almost can't go wrong (assuming you follow the instructions).

Now that the work week is upon us again, I doubt I'll get on to the wing until next weekend but I've subscribed to your thread to keep up with the progress!

I thought the same thing about the plans, but you don"t need them. Asked that question on the SA thread just to verify if plans are suppose to be included....

I'll have the wing finished today, there was only one little misprint referencing R3 and R4 when installing the servo trays. I'll post when finished. Thanks for posting

#13 simages Mar 30, 2011 04:50 PM

Page 40 of 55

1 Attachment(s)
Should finish the wing by weekend..... as well as covering. :rolleyes:

#14 simages Mar 30, 2011 07:35 PM

Page 43 .....

1 Attachment(s)
Had to finish the ailerons so, most all the balsa is now scrap! :)

Will definately get the covering started this weekend...... or Friday "if" I get a snow day!

#15 funflyer62 Apr 01, 2011 10:28 PM

Hey, I just saw this thread. Your work looks really nice. You may want to check out this other thread on the Skyboy. You might find a couple of things to think about before you cover your bird.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1317942

-Jay