RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Plane Talk
        Build Log Stevens AeroModels - SkyBuggy (100)

#1 simages Mar 09, 2011 10:22 AM

Stevens AeroModels - SkyBuggy (100)

1 Attachment(s)
Started one of my three StevensAero kits. The SkyBuggy (100) is the one that pulled me in. I have to say that it will be a pleasure to build these SA kits because the laser cut is exceptional! ;)

#2 CADGURU Mar 12, 2011 01:42 AM

Nice, can't wait to see how your build progresses!

#3 simages Mar 12, 2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADGURU (Post 17658052)
Nice, can't wait to see how your build progresses!

Me too, have all next week off and have the othe SA kits too! :)

#4 CADGURU Mar 13, 2011 12:23 AM

I am currently scratch building a low wing sport plane....I did a lot of redesign of the plans in CAD; then had my major parts laser-cut. First time I have done that for a scratch build....If you wish to check out my build here's the link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402336

Definitely could use some feed back :)

#5 speedy72vega Mar 13, 2011 09:24 AM

simages, +1 on the SA kits. I built one of their 50" Edge 540's a couple of years ago, was a great airplane. The quality of their kits is very good IMHO.

#6 simages Mar 13, 2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADGURU (Post 17666076)
I am currently scratch building a low wing sport plane....I did a lot of redesign of the plans in CAD; then had my major parts laser-cut. First time I have done that for a scratch build....If you wish to check out my build here's the link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402336 Definitely could use some feed back :)

Very cool.... technology these days CAD, laser cut $15-$50 is really great. I subscribed to your build thread and that's pretty cool about helping to setup AKM Laser with aircraft cutting services.

#7 CADGURU Mar 14, 2011 12:40 AM

AKM has been cutting models for years....(I did not help them) They have been providing excellent service long before I had caught up with them.

I am helping Trinity River Studios get set up for model cutting.
As mentioned, they just got their laser for engraving and I told them the could expand markets and get into balsa cutting for customs and such. They knew nothing about cutting balsa so I brought them plans and we started working out all the techniques.

Thanks for subcribing to my thread, I got a lot of work done I'll post pics soon.

#8 simages Mar 14, 2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADGURU (Post 17675041)
AKM has been cutting models for years....(I did not help them) They have been providing excellent service long before I had caught up with them.
I am helping Trinity River Studios get set up for model cutting.
As mentioned, they just got their laser for engraving and I told them the could expand markets and get into balsa cutting for customs and such. They knew nothing about cutting balsa so I brought them plans and we started working out all the techniques.
Thanks for subcribing to my thread, I got a lot of work done I'll post pics soon.

Even Cooler...... ;)

#9 simages Mar 14, 2011 07:40 PM

A bit more done.....

4 Attachment(s)
Was able to cover the wing, build the fuse and cover it as well. I have to say; the AeroLite covering that SA offers really compliments the build. Not to mention applies fantastic per at 175 - 190, then shrinks drum tight. ;)

#10 CADGURU Mar 15, 2011 12:48 AM

Wow its really coming along, Covering already! I guess I should not be too jealous. Its been a while since I built any aircraft and I am scratch building a prototype. There are bound to be issues (and have been) with my build.

#11 simages Mar 15, 2011 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added the trim and landing gear today. Should complete it tomorrow and know the 300 will build just as easy!

#12 simages Mar 16, 2011 09:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Rainy day helped to finish the SKYBUGGY 100. All that's left is the top wing trim and the maiden flight, hopefully the wind is down tomorrow! Still very much impressed with the kit quality, instructions, hardware and well.... STEVENS AeroModel in general! ;)

#13 Stevens AeroModel Mar 17, 2011 07:05 PM

Looking great! glad you are enjoying the build.

-Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by simages (Post 17703767)
Rainy day helped to finish the SKYBUGGY 100. All that's left is the top wing trim and the maiden flight, hopefully the wind is down tomorrow! Still very much impressed with the kit quality, instructions, hardware and well.... STEVENS AeroModel in general! ;)

#14 simages Mar 17, 2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevens AeroModel (Post 17711825)
Looking great! glad you are enjoying the build. -Bill

Like I said, it's a pleasure..... Thanks for posting Bill. Glad I went to the WRAM Show in NY otherwise I still wouldn't know about the SA models..... Unfortunately it was too windy today for a maiden however; daylight savings is finally here!

Only overlooked 2 things; installing the F5b reversed so the motor hole needed trimming to ensure the thrust alignment. Thought I put front forward and I'm sure it was marked FRONT. :o Then I realized that I forgot to sand the 45 bevel on the rudder, but that didn't interfere with the control having enoght space with the tape.....

Although, I have the SKYBUGGY 300, I want to get started on the SkyBoy 600 next and should be here by Saturday!

#15 simages Mar 20, 2011 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added the wing trim......