RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sailplane Talk
        Video DAW P-40 crunchie

#1 TRISME Mar 05, 2011 11:13 PM

DAW P-40 crunchie

Fabio built this DAW wood P-40 kit. Nice day at Lilly's today. Nice flying plane.
Tom

#2 badpilotto Mar 06, 2011 01:01 AM

Tom,

That P-40 flew awesome!! It look fun, how long can you fly, is it solely limited by the winds?

TFS

John

#3 andalucia Mar 06, 2011 09:41 AM

Muy hermoso, donde lo has comprado?

gracias.
Carlos

#4 TRISME Mar 06, 2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badpilotto (Post 17599142)
Tom,

That P-40 flew awesome!! It look fun, how long can you fly, is it solely limited by the winds?

TFS

John

Yes it can only fly on the slope when the wind is blowing about ten to fifteen mph.

#5 TRISME Mar 06, 2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andalucia (Post 17601334)

gracias.
Carlos

Este avion es viejo, la compania es " Dave's Aircraft Works". Ahora la compania "Skykingrcproducts.com" venden algos. Mi espanol es mal.

Tom

#6 Cory Mar 07, 2011 06:27 PM

Fun little planes. I have the old DAW crunchy TA-152.

#7 badpilotto Mar 07, 2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRISME (Post 17601487)
Yes it can only fly on the slope when the wind is blowing about ten to fifteen mph.

Thank you! I learn something new every day. Slope flying really does look like fum:)

John

#8 Cory Mar 07, 2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andalucia (Post 17601334)

gracias.
Carlos

Carlos,

My Spanish isn't good enough to answer you in that language, but I understood your question. I hope you can understand my English answer. These crunchy D.A.W. warbirds were produced during the mid 1990s before the EPP revolution. They have been out of production for at least 12 years.

#9 Cory Mar 07, 2011 10:15 PM

You can get the EPP versions here: http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/rcplanes/DAW_kits.html

#10 03svtsnakevert Mar 09, 2011 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory (Post 17617905)
Carlos,

My Spanish isn't good enough to answer you in that language, but I understood your question. I hope you can understand my English answer. These crunchy D.A.W. warbirds were produced during the mid 1990s before the EPP revolution. They have been out of production for at least 12 years.

Here ya go, just helpin' out:

Mi isn' español; t bastante bueno contestarle en esa lengua, pero yo entendía su pregunta. Espero que usted pueda entender mi respuesta inglesa. Estos warbirds crujientes de D.A.W. fueron producidos durante los mediados de años 90 antes de la revolución del EPP. Han sido fuera de producción por lo menos 12 años.

#11 bbjsw10 Mar 09, 2011 09:32 PM

Am I the only one that is laying on his side to watch this?

I wish there was someplace to slope around me, I may need to start watching for some. Should the wind blow at the slope or away? Side of a reservoir work?

#12 dayhead Mar 09, 2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbjsw10 (Post 17637480)
Am I the only one that is laying on his side to watch this?

I wish there was someplace to slope around me, I may need to start watching for some. Should the wind blow at the slope or away? Side of a reservoir work?

Any aircraft that doesn't have a motor will only stay up when it is in rising air, which we call "lift".

One source of lift is ridge lift, or slope lift. It happens when the wind encounters an obstruction, such as a cliff or slope. So yes the wind has to blow against, and up, the slope.

Another source of lift is "thermals". This happens when the air is heated by the sun warmed ground to a temperature that is higher than the surrounding air. It forms a big bubble that breaks loose and rises up through the cooler air. If you live in the flatlands you may have to use thermals. To do that usually requires having your glider towed up by a "High-Start" or a winch. But if your glider is light enough and you're strong enough you can throw it up to thermal catching altitude, about 100' minimum I think.

Good luck!

#13 suirendoujin Mar 10, 2011 08:17 AM

NO videos, but here's my contribution. Same DAW crunchie Ta 152.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997721