RC Groups

RC Groups
    Multi Task F3X
        Question Sandable filler?

#1 fcbflyer Feb 19, 2011 01:20 PM

Sandable filler?

What do the experts use as a filler to make a wing repair looking like new?

I am not so happy with the bondo/easy sand auto body filler I tried. It is also pretty heavy.

One of these any good?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/superfil.php

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ltwtfiller.php

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...finisputty.php

#2 yyz Feb 19, 2011 01:37 PM

West System 410 is a good product and much lighter than Bondo when used with the West epoxy and hardener. It's light brown in color when dry.

CST carries it.

Happy sanding,

Mike

#3 target Feb 19, 2011 02:20 PM

+1 for the 410 with West Systems. "Dryer" mix is more sandable, wetter less, but stronger and heavier. Bondo is for the PSS cavemen, where heavier at all ends is better (they think).

If you REALLY want it light and strong, under-fill a fillet a little, and lay on some light glass. When it gets tacky, add the finish layer that you will sand.

R,
Target

#4 G Norsworthy Feb 19, 2011 03:07 PM

I really like the Superfil and use it almost exclusively. I have since put away the epoxy and microballoons unless I need a really wet mix or want to put in fibers. Good for both dry and wet sand, really good with wet sand. I'm on my 5th project with it. Nice working time, a little slow, but I put some in the hot box last night and it was easily ready to sand in the morning.

Most of the filling I do with epoxy is for internal work and uses chopped fiber in place of microballoons.

I also keep some lightweight spackle on hand for the last foam fill before bagging.

#5 s2000 Feb 19, 2011 03:19 PM

Split Second filler is the best I have ever used. It is liquid microballoons suspended in the can, SUPER light weight, fast, and sands so fine you can polish it. I get it at my local automotive paint store in Long Beach. Once you use it there is no going back. I can post a picture of the can if needed.

#6 flytrip Feb 19, 2011 10:09 PM

#7 yyz Feb 19, 2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2000 (Post 17455994)
Split Second filler is the best I have ever used. It is liquid microballoons suspended in the can, SUPER light weight, fast, and sands so fine you can polish it. I get it at my local automotive paint store in Long Beach. Once you use it there is no going back. I can post a picture of the can if needed.

Dennis, please post a picture of the can.

#8 fcbflyer Feb 19, 2011 11:10 PM

Split Second

#9 THE EYE Feb 19, 2011 11:44 PM

split second that stuff is the best! thanks to LJ introducing me to the product. works wonders and is smooooth!
MB3

#10 G Norsworthy Feb 20, 2011 12:36 AM

I take it split second is polyester based, meaning no foam cores?

#11 fcbflyer Feb 20, 2011 12:47 AM

On foam cores I would only use lightweight spacle. Trying to sand anything harder then that will Be nearly impossible.

#12 ChrisJ800 Feb 20, 2011 02:33 AM

+1 for Spackle, its so light and easy to sand.

#13 target Feb 20, 2011 08:16 AM

I'll have to try the Superfil and Split Second stuff.

Thanks,
Target

#14 s2000 Feb 20, 2011 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture, G.E. Paint (Gary Elliot runs the place) is I think on Anaheim street in Long Beach just east of Junipero, it is around $25 a can, the can feels almost empty since the stuff is so lightweight, it is just a lttle thicker than whipped cream.

#15 fcbflyer Feb 21, 2011 06:02 PM

Thank you guys to chime in here. I did the 410 epoxy mix before and didn't like it too much.

I ordered a can of split second and will report on the outcome.