RC Groups

RC Groups
    Foamies (Scratchbuilt)
        Cool Home made mechanical elevon mixer.

#1 balsa or carbon Feb 07, 2011 08:30 PM

Home made mechanical elevon mixer.

Here is a Leadfeather type PBF I made for a friend who doesn't have mixing capabilities on his transmitter , so I made a mechanical mixer. The bottom of the aileron servo is attached to a hinge , then a pushrod from the elevator servo is attached to another hinge near the top of the aileron servo. then the elevator servo can move the top of the aileron servo back and forth. Seems to work well!
Home made mechanical elevon mixer (0 min 26 sec)

#2 forevercat Feb 07, 2011 09:13 PM

wow! i never thought it could be set up that way.
good idea :D

#3 balsa or carbon Feb 07, 2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forevercat (Post 17343024)
wow! i never thought it could be set up that way.
good idea :D

Got the idea from browsing RC Groups! There is so much great information ( and inspiration ) available here!

#4 SA/RCFlyer Feb 08, 2011 03:57 AM

Can you draw a plan and post it?

#5 Del-Dredd Feb 08, 2011 09:08 AM

Used to do things like that all the time years ago before the advent of Computer radios, it was the only way.

You even used to get premade variations using sliding trays etc or chunky bits of electronics (still got electronic one somewhere, probably with some old junk).

The best I saw was small cicular piece that attached on top of the aileron servo arm, this had a hinged piece on top which had a ball joint at each end for the aileron rods and a ball joint in the center that the elevator servo rod attached to.
Nice and compact and worked very well.

#6 poweredlawndart Feb 08, 2011 12:22 PM

http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...=215/101.0.1.1

Take a look at this Dubro unit and it will give you some ideas...or you could by this one.

#7 balsa or carbon Feb 08, 2011 12:32 PM

Mechanical elevon mixer plans

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SA/RCFlyer (Post 17345175)
Can you draw a plan and post it?

Here are the ( hand drawn ) plans you asked for, along with some close-up photos. Hope it helps!

#8 balsa or carbon Feb 08, 2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poweredlawndart (Post 17348221)
http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...=215/101.0.1.1

Take a look at this Dubro unit and it will give you some ideas...or you could by this one.

I saw that Dubro unit, but it's more fun to do it yourself! And I made this one with stuff I already had laying around.

#9 balsa or carbon Feb 13, 2011 12:17 AM

video

here is my friend flying the PbF with the mechanical mixer. He's never before flown a plane capable of rolls or unlimited vertical, so he's really going for it!
Crazy Flying RC II (2 min 4 sec)

#10 Slider2732 Feb 13, 2011 01:12 AM

Very neat and tidy. I have a V-tailed Cub that may well use your system there :)
Been wondering how to do such a thing with as few links and pieces as possible.

#11 str8wing Feb 13, 2011 02:10 AM

Interesting... The tilting servo was used to mix the collective in the old Xcell helicopter line (Circa 1990s), long before ccpm. 'Looks like it works well for you too. :-)