RC Groups

RC Groups
    Life, The Universe, and Politics
        Discussion Whats This ???? Already past Noon , and no Martin Luther King thread ?

#1 init4fun Jan 17, 2011 11:42 AM

Whats This ???? Already past Noon , and no Martin Luther King thread ?
 
:) Civil Rights . We wouldnt be very Civilized without them .

:cool: Happy Martin Luther King Day :cool:

#2 wrightme Jan 17, 2011 11:43 AM

Roger. It is more than a day away from work.

#3 Mark Wood Jan 17, 2011 11:52 AM

Being retired I hardly know what day it is let alone a holiday. That said, happy MLK day to our emancipated brethren! :)

mw

#4 Buran Jan 17, 2011 12:41 PM

Martin who?

Cool, my kid has the day off so we're going to the rentals and do some plubing work :o

#5 Kenny Sharp Jan 17, 2011 12:45 PM

Lived through the civil rights movement, as well as many here.

Pretty cool it happened, and within one lifetime, produced a President.....and they said it couldn't be done.

#6 Mr. Wiz Jan 17, 2011 12:47 PM

Personally, I don't get the MLK day thing. I understand who he was I just don't know if I think he really did that much in the grand scheme of things. Then again, maybe I wasn't old enough to really understand his impact. So far, nothing I've read about him is that compelling. Maybe some of you that do admire him can point me in the direction of a book or something that more clearly explains his contribution to the country.

#7 Kenny Sharp Jan 17, 2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz (Post 17131771)
Personally, I don't get the MLK day thing. I understand who he was I just don't know if I think he really did that much in the grand scheme of things. Then again, maybe I wasn't old enough to really understand his impact. So far, nothing I've read about him is that compelling. Maybe some of you that do admire him can point me in the direction of a book or something that more clearly explains his contribution to the country.

Without him, and many others like him, we would still be living in a segregated Country.

#8 Real Ira Jan 17, 2011 12:50 PM

Dr. King is on my short list of heros and I am very picky about that list.

He was just an ordinary man faced with huge challenges he never flinched in the face of up to the point of it costing him his life.
If the haters would stop trying to hijack his message I believe we really could at least come close to making his dream come true.

#9 mortato Jan 17, 2011 12:50 PM

Not fair, we in the UK want a holiday too.

#10 Kenny Sharp Jan 17, 2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mortato (Post 17131811)
Not fair, we in the UK want a holiday too.

Don't you guys have Pied Piper Day?....When all the rats were led out to sea and drowned?

#11 Mr. Wiz Jan 17, 2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp (Post 17131799)
Without him, and many others like him, we would still be living in a segregated Country.

Well, I always hear that but without more detail it doesn't hit that mark for me. Again, I was just a little kid when he was killed. I don't think what we learned about him in school told us much and I'll be honest and say I haven't gone looking for any more information about him on my own.

#12 Kenny Sharp Jan 17, 2011 12:57 PM

If you never experienced segregation, then it really wouldn't have made an impact....

Lucky you.

#13 Mr. Wiz Jan 17, 2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp (Post 17131887)
If you never experienced segregation, then it really wouldn't have made an impact....

Lucky you.

I've experienced plenty of racism but segregation isn't one of them. Maybe I should be thanking MLK for that.

#14 Kenny Sharp Jan 17, 2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz (Post 17131957)
I've experienced plenty of racism but segregation isn't one of them. Maybe I should be thanking MLK for that.

Yeah....segregation sucks.
White only restaurants, bathrooms, and drinking fountains.
White schools and hospitals.
Totally sucked.

#15 SKYPILEIT Jan 17, 2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Ira (Post 17131804)
Dr. King is on my short list of heros and I am very picky about that list.

He was just an ordinary man faced with huge challenges who never flinched in the face of up to the point of it costing him his life.
If the haters would stop trying to hijack his message I believe we really could at least come close to making his dream come true.

agreed..!I have the utmost respect for MLK & the efforts he made to make racial progress...but,it does post the question,even 43 years after his death,racial relations aren't where they should be.Not even close.

We have elected an african American President,but there is soo much more to be done.More than affirmative action & minority preferencial policies..

I've often wondered how blacks feel they can try harder on their own,without jumping into a hostile attitude about all the usual complaints...law enforcement profiling AA's,etc.

Maybe a new role model is needed...wait,we've got the POTUS..right.?

Well then,why are most of young ones more concerned about being a rap star...instead of focusing upon academic achievements.?

Why isn't Rev.Jesse Jackson & Rev. Al Sharpton speaking out..when most inner cities are a cesspool of crime,drugs & dispair.?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.