RC Groups

RC Groups
    Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric)
        Discussion red/red-black/black-red/black or black/red????

#1 npowell28 Nov 26, 2010 04:16 PM

red/red-black/black-red/black or black/red????

Simple question for a newbie. When i connect by 2s lipo to my esc do i connect teh wires red to red and black to black? Cheers dudes

#2 bartricky Nov 26, 2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npowell28 (Post 16658090)
Simple question for a newbie. When i connect by 2s lipo to my esc do i connect teh wires red to red and black to black? Cheers dudes

Yep, red to red

#3 Xpress.. Nov 26, 2010 09:19 PM

Go ahead and try red to black, but don't blame me when it fries itself ;)

#4 benski Nov 27, 2010 12:17 AM

Yes indeed, red to red, black to black.:)

#5 npowell28 Nov 27, 2010 03:15 AM

Thanks guys. Most helpful as usual. Right must go out and clean the white stuff off the drive.

#6 C₄H₁₀ Nov 27, 2010 04:44 PM

Just to reiterate: Red is ALWAYS positive, black is ALWAYS negative.

EXCEPT in the case of brushless motors or brushless ESC MOTOR leads ONLY. These are constantly switching between positive and negative. Sometimes you HAVE to cross the colors to get the motor running correctly and sometimes they're all the same color.

Other than that......

Always. Universal standard. DO NOT EVER confuse or cross them; even if it's a nonpolar setup (like an incandescent light bulb) it's still good to keep them straight.

Balance taps are another animal entirely but you don't have to worry about that.

Ain't it fun to get way more info than you asked for? :D

#7 Xpress.. Nov 27, 2010 05:45 PM

Just to clear the confusion: The colors on brushless systems mean nothing, and only on brushless systems. Put red to green, blue to red, green to blue, and you will be fine.

#8 C₄H₁₀ Nov 27, 2010 05:54 PM

Personally I like to go red to yellow, black to white and red to black.

Or in the case of HK ESCs, black to red, black to black, black to yellow. Or black to black, black to black, black to black IN THAT ORDER.

Edit:

Quote:

The colors on brushless systems mean nothing, and only on brushless systems.
This is ONLY on the motor leads. The wires going to the battery STILL have to follow the red/red, black/black rule. That is VERY important.

#9 Nathan Schmoekel Nov 27, 2010 06:44 PM

I know this is a little bit of a side track, but....

I had a bit of a debacle with some HiTec receiver wiring instructions just the other day. The wiring diagram was black and white and no "+ -" were anywhere on the page. I assumed that black on the diagram indicated the black (-) wires, BUT I WAS WRONG:eek:... Black on the diagram actually indicated "hot"(+) which in the case of our RC gear, is red.

This was quite confusing and the receiver was damaged because of it....Hitec is taking care of me, but a simple "+ -" somewhere in the instructions would have been too easy and saved everyone a lot of hassle.

It's always something in this hobby:rolleyes:

#10 C₄H₁₀ Nov 27, 2010 10:10 PM

Let's hope Hitec never starts making lipos....

#11 E-reevo Nov 28, 2010 12:55 AM

red red, black black

#12 Xpress.. Nov 28, 2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Schmoekel (Post 16666841)
I know this is a little bit of a side track, but....

I had a bit of a debacle with some HiTec receiver wiring instructions just the other day. The wiring diagram was black and white and no "+ -" were anywhere on the page. I assumed that black on the diagram indicated the black (-) wires, BUT I WAS WRONG:eek:... Black on the diagram actually indicated "hot"(+) which in the case of our RC gear, is red.

This was quite confusing and the receiver was damaged because of it....Hitec is taking care of me, but a simple "+ -" somewhere in the instructions would have been too easy and saved everyone a lot of hassle.

It's always something in this hobby:rolleyes:

which receiver?

#13 Nathan Schmoekel Nov 28, 2010 05:10 PM

Twaz an Optima 7.....the SPC port wiring diagram.

#14 Rodney Nov 29, 2010 08:26 AM

Yes, red is usually positive and black usually negative or ground BUT DON'T COUNT ON IT. I have occasionally found items improperly color coded so I always check polarity before using any newly purchased equipment, especially batteries and ESC or BEC's. Remember, in the USA, for house wiring , black is usually the hot lead but, again, check to make sure.