RC Groups

RC Groups
    Multirotor Talk
        Build Log Worlds Smallest 8 motor Micro Quad "The Shredder"

#1 Z06 Tony Oct 14, 2010 04:07 PM

Worlds Smallest 8 motor Micro Quad "The Shredder"

1 Attachment(s)
I am building a 10" Motor 2 Motor 8 motor X8 Quad for Acrobatic type flying NOT AP. I have everything except the servo Y splitters and they should be here Fri. Cant wait to see if my idea works.

List of equipment used:
(4)Trex 250 booms
(4)Trex 250 Boom Mounts
(2)4" Square CF 1mm Thick
(8)Turnigy Plush 6a ESC's
(8)1811-2000 Brushless Motors 2000Kv
(8)5" 3 Bladed Props(4 rev & 4 reg)
(8)Prop adapters
(4)E-flite Ultra Lightweight servo splitters
Gaui GU-344 gyro
Walkera 22 LG

Videos:

Running on 2 Hyperion 450mAh 45C 3S LiPos

This is my DIY 8 motor UAV (The Shredder) (0 min 38 sec)

Running on 2 Hyperion 900mAh 45C LiPos

This is my DIY 8 motor UAV (The Shredder) (0 min 58 sec)

Running on 2 Hyperion 900mAh 45C LiPos

This is my DIY 8 motor UAV (The Shredder) (1 min 27 sec)

#2 mkmkmk13 Oct 14, 2010 06:46 PM

for future reference, you can just solder the wires together and create a more reliable Y connection

Moe

#3 Z06 Tony Oct 14, 2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmkmk13 (Post 16292054)
for future reference, you can just solder the wires together and create a more reliable Y connection

Moe

Thanks bro. I thought about that but with 8 motors I am already soldering more than I want to. I have to do 38 solder points.

#4 Canadian Geek Oct 14, 2010 07:39 PM

Hey Tony, looking forward to seeing this. Good luck with the build.

Here is a way to make an easy to do the power distribution. I find this much easier than soldering a bunch of wires together.

- Jeff

#5 Z06 Tony Oct 17, 2010 04:45 PM

Started the build today. Got the frame togeather with some tall LG. The frame only weighs 65g. Should be able to shave a little more off but this is only a prototype frame. If it works I will rebuild it again and fix anything I did not like. Pics will be uploading soon

#6 Z06 Tony Oct 17, 2010 07:31 PM

Pics of the frame

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the frame. It weighs 65g. Forgot the back skids were taller so used some 600 canopy grommets on the front skids. Will add a plate between the skids and the frame to even it out on the final version.

#7 Z06 Tony Oct 17, 2010 07:40 PM

Pics with the motors mounted.

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics with the motors mounted. I have 4 motors and ESC's wired up so far.

#8 mkmkmk13 Oct 17, 2010 11:34 PM

looking good
waiting for some videos

what motor are you using?

#9 Z06 Tony Oct 17, 2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmkmk13 (Post 16316467)
looking good
waiting for some videos

what motor are you using?

Just listed all the equipment used for the build.

#10 PeteSchug Oct 18, 2010 06:01 AM

Very interesting so far.

I recently got an AR Drone, and after almost fifty years of conventional RC and a bit of heli flying I am really flipped out by the concept of quads and multi rotor flying machines.

I will be following this with interest. It looks like "I eat rice burners" is an inborn instinct with you and I really look forward to seeing this aerial hot rod perform.

I love my Drone, but yearn for something much hotter that's small and that I can fly with a conventional RC transmitter. FPV, or at least airborne video would be important to me. Now you have me wondering how small I can go. I guess the limit is electronics since you have to lug a certain amount of it along no matter what.

Good luck.

Edit: Anyone care to comment on how compact and light the electronics can be made? The gears are spinning!

Pete

#11 lovegroove Oct 18, 2010 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteSchug (Post 16317537)
Very interesting so far.

I recently got an AR Drone, and after almost fifty years of conventional RC and a bit of heli flying I am really flipped out by the concept of quads and multi rotor flying machines.

I will be following this with interest. It looks like "I eat rice burners" is an inborn instinct with you and I really look forward to seeing this aerial hot rod perform.

I love my Drone, but yearn for something much hotter that's small and that I can fly with a conventional RC transmitter. FPV, or at least airborne video would be important to me. Now you have me wondering how small I can go. I guess the limit is electronics since you have to lug a certain amount of it along no matter what.

Good luck.

Edit: Anyone care to comment on how compact and light the electronics can be made? The gears are spinning!

Pete

You want small?

Have you seen this?

http://www.snelflight.co.uk/QuadPod.htm

#12 Z06 Tony Oct 18, 2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteSchug (Post 16317537)
Very interesting so far.

Good luck.

Pete

Thanks, its not brushless but I have a Walkera UFO #8 and a X-Wing I am selling. They are small. The X-Wing is a little bigger w/ a little bigger motors

#13 Z06 Tony Oct 18, 2010 07:30 AM

I forgot to mention this project is based on the already successfull "Ripper" Here is the build log w/vids

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1318363

#14 PeteSchug Oct 18, 2010 11:09 AM

Thinking about it I remember some early quads in one of the hobby shops I used to visit. The thing was way small and had a little dome over the center section. Never saw it fly and was not overwhelmingly interested at the time.

Now that I've flown the Drone and pondered on how it is controlled, I've gotten interested, but mostly to learn about and build one of my own.

Saw a video, (don't remember if it was here or elsewhere) of a guy flying a hex drone, losing a motor in a minor crash and flying on five motors. That impressed me since I was wondering about man carrying versions and safety. I guess with motors, the more the merrier. (and safer)

Pete

#15 palomo Oct 18, 2010 12:19 PM

Wow, talk about power! Interesting...... Can't wait to see a video!