RC Groups

RC Groups
    Modeling Science
        Question Washout mesured from LE or TE?

#1 malakiblunt Aug 02, 2010 03:47 PM

Washout mesured from LE or TE?

Hi im just about to cut some foam cores for a tailess model the wing require a 2deg twist, ive set it up so my tip templates have a 2 degre drop from the trailing edge to the LE, is this correct? as in the bok Foam modeling it says to raise the trainig edge for wash out.

obviously iether way gives wash out but on with a drooping LE and the other iwth a raised TE mesured from the Root.

cheers

#2 nmasters Aug 02, 2010 04:43 PM

Usually you add washout by raising the TE. If you do it by drooping the LE you will change the dihedral a bit but not enough to make a noticeable difference unless you're building a very low aspect ratio plane

#3 BMatthews Aug 02, 2010 08:15 PM

Six of one and half a dozen of the other. Aside from the dihedral issue Norm noted the only thing to remember is "out" is leading edge lower and "in" is leading edge higher. I like to think of it as Washout is taking incidence OUT of the tip or lowering the incidence whereas WashIN is putting IN incidence at the tip. Whether you do this at the leading edge or the trailing edge it really doesn't matter.

#4 malakiblunt Aug 03, 2010 03:55 AM

Thankyou for the replies and im glad i asked, although it is a high AR wing its flat so i would be giving it anhedral which is just the kind of help my piloting skills dont need.

Im going to adjust my tip templates accordingly.

thanks again for the help.

philip