RC Groups

RC Groups
    Micro Helis
        Discussion DIY V7 Ultimate 140 Blade for Walkera 4G6(S), V120D02, and 4G3, released!

#1 Timewerx Jul 24, 2010 02:00 PM

DIY V7 Ultimate 140 Blade for Walkera 4G6(S), V120D02, and 4G3, released!

1 Attachment(s)
Finally, my best mod yet! Please download attachment for both the DIY guide and template!

V7 Ultimate 140 Blade in a nutshell:

-Best aerodynamic performance and efficiency - reduces bogging by a great degree and makes helicopter still easily controllable even in the most demanding maneuvers!
-Highest blade stability reduces fluttering, vibration, and tracking issues, also makes helicopter more stable and easier to fly while agility improved too! - more ideal for both flybarred and FBL versions.
-Best crash protection offered, also the easiest and fastest to repair.
-Dramatically reduces crash cost!

Looking for a blade that offers highest performance and efficiency, best crash protection, makes your helicopter easier to fly, and reduces crashing costs dramatically? Don't believe such blade exists? Well here it is and it's DIY!:D

The rest of the mods applied in the 4G6 used in the demo you can access by clicking this picture below
http://a.imageshack.us/img338/5959/sigaoj.jpg

V7 Ultimate 140 Blade for Walkera 4G6(S), V120D02, and 4G3 (9 min 47 sec)

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/3615/20023538.jpg

#2 SoloProFan Jul 24, 2010 02:05 PM

WinRar and WinZip won't unpack it... :confused:

#3 Timewerx Jul 24, 2010 02:29 PM

Just re-packed the guide in the latest winzip 14.5. Download from here:
http://www.winzip.com/downwz.htm

Please let me know if it's working now, thanks! :)

P.S. I had to put it in a zip file because the pdf file is too big for attachments with 3.12 mb filesize.

#4 SoloProFan Jul 24, 2010 03:31 PM

Zip works fine now. ;)

#5 Timewerx Jul 24, 2010 06:54 PM

Thanks for letting me know and glad it works now!

If someone has already tried the blade, 3D, whatever, I'd like to hear your feedback, thanks!

#6 Timewerx Jul 26, 2010 10:37 AM

Just a warning, if anyone has done my previous blade mods, I would urge to read through all the instructions instead of skipping some of the steps. There's a significant change, especially the type of adhesive used to bond the blade to the graphite core. The new method should result to a bond that will last many crashes without compromising its integrity.

#7 Rocketman1092 Jul 26, 2010 12:59 PM

Timewerx,

How do you reccomend the templates be scaled when printing? My blades either come out too small (when "Fit to page" is used) or too big (when "No Scaling") is used. Should the blades measure 140mm from root to tip, or smaller to account for the added length of the original blade root?

#8 Timewerx Jul 27, 2010 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketman1092 (Post 15635334)
Timewerx,

How do you reccomend the templates be scaled when printing? My blades either come out too small (when "Fit to page" is used) or too big (when "No Scaling") is used. Should the blades measure 140mm from root to tip, or smaller to account for the added length of the original blade root?

Hi Rocketman, I have updated the guide. Please download again and visit Step 20a and Step 20b for the printing guide.:)

Thanks for your feedback! I thought it was all default print settings, I forgot I did one change to the print settings in Adobe Reader.

But in case, the settings are still giving you trouble for other reasons or using other than Adobe Reader to open PDF files, Step 20b provides good reference if you prefer to scale the printing yourself to the specified actual measurements. Use the jpeg template provided in the zip file in that case, to conveniently scale the print yourself.

Good Luck and Thanks!

#9 Doblao Jul 27, 2010 06:36 AM

About size

Hello,
Im working in reducing size of my 4g6s helis and would like to know if this kind of blades improves efficiency. If it is yes,do you think I can scale them to a reduced lenght and yet get the trust of the original ones? (75-80 mm blades would be the size I need)
Best regards from Spain,
Doblao

#10 Timewerx Jul 27, 2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doblao (Post 15641279)
Hello,
Im working in reducing size of my 4g6s helis and would like to know if this kind of blades improves efficiency. If it is yes,do you think I can scale them to a reduced lenght and yet get the trust of the original ones? (75-80 mm blades would be the size I need)
Best regards from Spain,
Doblao

Yes you can make it shorter, while retaining blade width. But to generate similar maximum thrust of the 'full size' blade, the motor had to work harder.

The math that explains this is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_loading#Theory

In a nutshell, why shorter blades need more work from the motor is it needs to make higher velocity 'exhaust' to generate the same thrust with longer blades. While longer blades exhausts a bigger volume at a lower speed, the relation of volume is linear while speed is squared due to kinetic energy.

But good new is, since the gear ratios are not optimized, you may get higher efficiency with shorter blades. I can't say for sure with 75 - 80 mm, you just need to try it out. Although one thing I can guarantee you, collective and cyclic performance will get worse with shorter blades.

Lastly, the V7 Ultimate blade in its original size of 140mm should be more efficient than conventional blades due its elliptical lift distribution which full size helicopters also employ through blade washout. The V7 blade does it with taper. Theories aside, and with high quality worksmanship, the V7 blade should give better than 10% of actual increased hover time and about 50% increased flight time in aggressive flying/3D. The blade also remains controllable and stable at higher blade angle of attack (angle of airstream against the blade pitch) compared to conventional design allowing you to make more aggressive and tighter maneuvers... Making your 4G6 a true indoor 3D heli!

#11 NaterPin Jul 27, 2010 10:23 AM

Timewerx, some guys are making smaller "moth" 4G6s and 120do2. Then cut the stock blades. Can you shrink your blades on the computer and make them work.

#12 Timewerx Jul 27, 2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaterPin (Post 15642620)
Timewerx, some guys are making smaller "moth" 4G6s and 120do2. Then cut the stock blades. Can you shrink your blades on the computer and make them work.

[edit post]

#13 NaterPin Jul 27, 2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaterPin (Post 15642620)

Sorry, when I said " Can you shrink your blades" I should of said "can people shrink your blades".
my bad

#14 Timewerx Jul 27, 2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaterPin (Post 15643051)
Sorry, when I said " Can you shrink your blades" I should of said "can people shrink your blades".
my bad

No problem! I think they can do that, they can distort it somehow with any graphics software, reducing the length while keeping the width.

#15 terry74 Jul 29, 2010 08:26 AM

Thank a lot for this great TIPs Timewerx ;)

I post it on Helimag.com

Jay