RC Groups

RC Groups
    Parkflyers
        Building Tiger Moth. How to attach foward struts w/o using screws?

#1 L.I.A. Jun 22, 2003 10:10 AM

Building Tiger Moth. How to attach foward struts w/o using screws?

Search yielded little help. I know there has got to be a better way. Thanks!

#2 goofup Jun 22, 2003 10:28 AM

Drill (1/8"??) holes all the way through the struts and fuselage. Glue some balsa dowels through the fuselage so that they that stick out a bit (1/4"???) on each side of the fuselage. The struts then slip over the dowels and small rubber bands slip over the dowel ends (crossing over the fuselage) to hold the struts in place (sorta like the dowel/rubber band method of holding wings on). To remove the wings, just pop the rubberbands off and slide the struts off the pegs.

I haven't done it, but this is what it looks like people have done from the pictures I've seen.

If I'm wrong, or there's a better way, maybe somebody will chime in here...

#3 Buzz Jun 22, 2003 10:35 AM

I used bamboo BBQ skewers from the grocery store. They are the right diameter and very light. I don't drill through the fuselage with mine... just stick them in firmly and CA them into place. You can also keep your cowling on the same way by using one skewer on each side and looping a rubber band under the cowl. Works great....and no more screws to worry about.

Buzz

#4 Basketcase Jun 22, 2003 11:21 AM

There's a couple pictures of them on the second page of this TM thread

The camo 'moth is Don's and uses the skewers, the red and white is mine and has cf rods instead.

BC

#5 Morb Jun 23, 2003 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Buzz
I used bamboo BBQ skewers from the grocery store. They are the right diameter and very light. I don't drill through the fuselage with mine... just stick them in firmly and CA them into place. You can also keep your cowling on the same way by using one skewer on each side and looping a rubber band under the cowl. Works great....and no more screws to worry about.

Buzz

Hey Buzz,

Can I see some closeup pictures of your BBQ skewer idea? That's the route I want to go through. Going to be using magnets on the cowl, so not to worried about that.

Thanks,
Geof.

#6 DEPENDS Jun 23, 2003 03:55 PM

I used short pieces of CF rod epoxied in place. Slide the struts onto the rods and use a small piece of silicone fuel line pushed over the rod to hold the struts in place.

JT

#7 L.I.A. Jun 23, 2003 09:14 PM

thanks for the ideas!

Those dopey screws........Are they serious?!?!

I used the bamboo skewer idea. Worked better than i expected.

Maiden was great.

#8 daveWCO Jun 24, 2003 12:24 AM

I used toothpicks.

daveWCO

#9 Trikster Jun 24, 2003 12:53 AM

Used the skewers also, much better than the screws. For the cowl, I used velcro. Helps keep the cowl in one piece if I mess up a landing.

#10 L.I.A. Jun 25, 2003 07:38 AM

so far i have only done a few "mods."

skewer mounts for the foward struts, velcro cowl, and glued the wing joints.

am i missing anything by not using the flying wires?

seems fine w/o 'em.

#11 Basketcase Jun 25, 2003 09:20 AM

You'll know when it's time for wires when you see the wings fold during a loop. Even though the wings start out fine the foam must get fatigued after a while and eventually gives up. The wires seem to take some of the stress off of the foam.