RC Groups

RC Groups
    Parkflyers
        Why is the crazy max have 0% dihedral, but my slow stick does, and wont turn?

#1 L.I.A. Jun 20, 2003 06:35 AM

Why is the crazy max have 0% dihedral, but my slow stick does, and wont turn?

i just noticed...... I really am only familiar w/ gws planes, but while on ALLeRC.com, i noticed the "crazy max". It has a no dihedral wing. Why is this plane designed like this and able to turn correct;ly?

heres the previous post concerning this topic:

I built it perfectly (at least i hope i did).

The only mod i did was to leave very little dihedral. I cut a styrofoam piece and laid it into the center of the wing fold, and epoxied it together. I would say it has about 1/4 dihedral of what it should have if you just folded out as stock.

The problem i am having is that it is difficult to turn and maneuver. It will loop and dive very easily. but turning is almost impossible. it very odd.

Am i screwed? Did lessening the dihedral destroy the flying characteristics of this plane? I did it so it wold be a little MORE manuverable, when in fact, it is the opposite.

it has a stock 300 w/ 1260, 2s2p etec 700 lipolys and naro servos. What gives? My other one flies great (just really beat-up)

#2 jimsp Jun 20, 2003 06:50 AM

The Crazy Max has ailerons.

#3 hoppy Jun 20, 2003 06:52 AM

Planes with ailerons, like the crazy max, don't need dihedral to turn. Planes without ailerons need at least 5 deg dihedral to turn. Cut the wing in half and put the dihedral back in.
hoppy

#4 MattLarson29 Jun 20, 2003 06:54 AM

The Crazy Max has aileron control, so it does not need dihedral for stability.

Dihedral makes a wing 'want' to fly level - on a rudder and elevator only airplane like the Slow Stick, the dihedral keeps the plane level since you cannot control the roll axis directly.

Matt

#5 Basketcase Jun 20, 2003 07:00 AM

The Crazy Max has ailerons. And a fully symmetrical wing.

The SlowStick is rudder/ elevator only and has undercambered wings.

A plane without ailerons will not turn effectively without dihedral. And a plane with ailerons won't turn correctly with dihedral.

(edited to add: not for all planes, there are exceptions such as low wing planes, a lot of which have dihedral and ailerons.)

Also ailerons do not work very well with undercambered wings.

You best bet is to cut the foam piece you installed out and put the dihedral back in, or cut the wings out near the tips and add some polyhedral. Which just means two bends in the wing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=polyhedral

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=polyhedral

#6 Mike Parsons Jun 20, 2003 09:32 AM

Yep, Ailerons, and it wouldnt be very acrobatic with Dehidral. Fun Plan (since retired)...just wish it wasnt so darn ugly.

Mike.
www.atlantaeflyers.com

#7 sheerLuck Jun 20, 2003 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And just WHO are you calling UGLY ????

C. Max

:D :D :D

#8 boomerace Jun 20, 2003 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sheerLuck

C. Max

THAT is way beyond ugly!!!! :D
boomer

#9 BuzzBomber Jun 20, 2003 10:56 AM

what the heck is that spinner, anyway? Homebrew, or 2-pc. missing the cap? I like the cowling, though.

#10 sheerLuck Jun 20, 2003 11:13 AM

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145310.asp missing the cap. I think it's stuck in the mud in some deep grass over in the park. Cowling is standard Edge shaving cream cap, first modded by Basketcase, I think.

Larry

#11 Mike Parsons Jun 20, 2003 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sheerLuck

C. Max

Well color me corrected.....that is so ugly it's cute
:D :D :D :D :D

#12 L.I.A. Jun 20, 2003 05:13 PM

so......should i get a crazy max?

#13 sheerLuck Jun 20, 2003 05:19 PM

Yes.

#14 boomerace Jun 20, 2003 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by L.I.A.
so......should i get a crazy max?
A aileron trainer it's NOT! If you have flown ailerons before fine but if not your first flight will require addition of epoxy after the crash! :D
boomer

#15 Basketcase Jun 20, 2003 07:46 PM

LIA, I agree with Boomer, the CrazyMax is only good for an aileron trainer if you're VERY comfortable with the SlowStik.

Another choice that's sort of in between is the GWS E-Starter.

Hi Larry, thanks for remembering. :)

BC