RC Groups

RC Groups
    R/C Blogs
        Discussion X32

#1 AirX Apr 25, 2010 10:17 PM

X32

3 Attachment(s)
Several years back when the X32 and X35 were going head to head for the nextgen lightweight fighter, Kevin Cox designed and built one for 50mm microfan. I lusted after that plane... ;)

A couple years back I tried my hand at one and almost had it flying for the GWS40mm fan with a Feigao bl motor on 3s. The airframe needed to be a little larger as the wing loading on a flat plate airfoil was too small(~100in^2) and too touchy for my reflexes. a few months back I thought about trying again and using a larger airframe (~225in^2) and a 50mm microfan.

This is the thread for my design, build and test flights after which the plans will be available to anyone who wishes to download and build as long as its not for profit.

This is as far as I have gotten with the design to this point. I am involved with another project that is undergoing some changes and until that one is complete I wont do much on this one.

Eric B.

#2 flashkick Apr 25, 2010 10:46 PM

awesome. i am watching with much excitment. :popcorn:

#3 xplaneguy Apr 26, 2010 12:35 AM

Me too! :D

Best,
Tony

#4 AirX Apr 26, 2010 06:10 AM

Thanks guys, let me complete a prior commitment and I will get this one going full steam.

Eric B.

#5 AirX May 02, 2010 08:33 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Thought I would post the rest of the pictures that were part of the design process but my external drive is acting up and I cannot find them. There were some pictures showing the modification of the nose to get the inlet correct.

These pictures are of the nearly finished design that I had completed several months back and were stored on my laptop. When I can get the other pictures off the external drive I will post them.

The last thing to be done is the wing interface and a little fuselage cleanup.
I will take this on when a prior project is complete.

Eric B.

#6 AirX Jun 02, 2010 09:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I made some new pictures of some changes I have been squeasing in arround the day job and a side job.

Eric B.

#7 flashkick Jun 03, 2010 05:43 PM

looking good

#8 AirX Jun 03, 2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akwardflyer (Post 15236782)
looking good

Thanks, I am cutting templates right now. Soon there will be a kit to build. I hope it flies like I think it will as I built stability into the wing incidences.

Cheers,
Eric B.

#9 Esprit440 Jun 11, 2010 09:16 PM

Hey Eric, here's a nice molded X-32 going together in Tokyo:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1255357

-Matt

#10 AirX Jun 12, 2010 10:26 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting that bit of inspiration.... :)

I am progressing a bit, I cut the templates for mine today. I wanted to cut it on the CNC but since I will post the templates to this thread not everyone would be using a CNC to cut thiers so I wanted to verify the templates worked correctly... :)

Eric B.

#11 AirX Sep 04, 2010 06:43 PM

Lost files with computer crash

I lost the working files of this model I was working on with a computer crash a month ago. I plan to get it back into CAD later this year.

Eric B.

#12 AirX May 13, 2013 09:59 AM

What once was lost is now found!!

I was looking thru some old files on a removable hard drive I have and found a backup of the old laptop.
I have the Inventor files for this project and will be working on it at lunch at work to restore them to a proper update so they are scalable to the sizes I want to work with.

More to come... :)

Cheers,
Eric B.

#13 AirX May 13, 2013 06:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
To add to the previous post, I had time at lunch to convert the old files to the version I use at work and then made a new drawing for the plan and placement of sections for the original 50mm version. I expect to be able to scale the PDF to 70mm size as I don't plan to build a 50mm.
The sheets are displayed as shown.

Eric B.