RC Groups

RC Groups
    Trader Talk
        Discussion How do I bump my add back to the top??

#1 1g1yy Apr 18, 2010 10:32 PM

How do I bump my add back to the top??

Life happened so I have been gone a while, but I still can't believe I am needing to ask this!:o

#2 E-MO Apr 18, 2010 10:48 PM

My RCG go into ~edit options~
at the bottom which I have highlighted in red is a box you need to check
works in the FS/W section only.

Quote:

Miscellaneous Options
Message Editor InterfaceWhen posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.
Basic Editor - A simple text box Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing Message Editor Interface:
Distance preferencesShow member's distance from you in
kilometers miles

Forum Options
Display Forum Selection Menu ("Forum Jump"

Sort Threads by Last Post in For Sale/Wanted Forums

#3 Mark Wood Apr 18, 2010 11:09 PM

Or just make a post to your thread.

mw

#4 cynjon Apr 18, 2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Wood (Post 14889010)
Or just make a post to your thread.

mw

The "Sort Threads by Last Post in For Sale/Wanted Forums" box is unchecked by default...unless you specifically go into your "My RCGroups" and check it, posting to your thread won't bump it to the top--except for those of us who have the box checked already.

Seems like the box should be CHECKED by default, and unchecked at the user's option...I think more people are familiar with this convention. If I remember correctly, after the latest big forum upgrade, I had to go back and RE-check the box.

#5 Jeffery Apr 19, 2010 08:59 AM

It's set to "off" to take away the attraction of people bumping their threads - unless you make an effort to turn it on you won't see bumps - and even if you turn it "on", only other people who have it set that way will see the bumps. And you are only allowed a limited number of bumps even then.

The underlying message being (and confirmed by the mods) that bumping isn't really a behaviour that is encouraged.

#6 Mark Wood Apr 19, 2010 10:47 AM

True. One does get two bumps per thread though w/out getting warned.

mw

#7 cynjon Apr 19, 2010 10:56 AM

I agree with keeping the "bumping" to a minimum...I just prefer to have the threads that are active to stay near the top of the forums, even the FS/FT forums. Some abuse it though, no doubt...but those folks are going to continue to do so whether the box is checked or not.

#8 nick84 Apr 20, 2010 01:57 PM

i think we should have the same bumping ability as pbnation.com does, you can only bump your thread to the top every 6 hours.

#9 Jeffery Apr 20, 2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick84 (Post 14901426)
i think we should have the same bumping ability as pbnation.com does, you can only bump your thread to the top every 6 hours.

Every 6 hours? No way. You could have your ad bumped off the front page before anybody except ad bumpers ever saw it. That's exactly the reason the ad bump rules are in place here.

#10 krefi Apr 23, 2010 02:06 PM

Will you get a warning (or generally frowned upon) for relisting the item by starting a new thread?

#11 1g1yy Apr 23, 2010 02:37 PM

Yes, how soon can we relist an item that has not sold? I have some motors listed that I thought would sell quickly, but those adds are several pages old now, and I doubt anyone is looking that far back. If I drop the price substantially and add more pics, can I relist rather than bump the old adds with the old prices that most members have already seen?

#12 cynjon Apr 23, 2010 02:59 PM

I believe that you are allowed to start a new FS/FT thread after a week, as long as you close the previous thread. So, one thread per week, two bumps per thread, according to the rules found at the bottom of each page. HTH...

#13 krefi Apr 23, 2010 03:23 PM

That does help. Thanks. Although I do see this statement on the rules page:

"We allow one advertisement per week per forum per user. An Advertisement is any media which persuades the viewer to take an action. The classified ads area is exempt from this rule."

But the "wait a week" suggestion sounds reasonable to me, and I think that will be my method of operations.

#14 Jeffery Apr 23, 2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krefi (Post 14926066)
That does help. Thanks. Although I do see this statement on the rules page:

"We allow one advertisement per week per forum per user. An Advertisement is any media which persuades the viewer to take an action. The classified ads area is exempt from this rule."

But the "wait a week" suggestion sounds reasonable to me, and I think that will be my method of operations.

You missed the rule that applies:

Overbumping: The post does not contain relevant information and was made purely to keep the poster's thread near the top of the thread listing. We allow two bumps per thread.

#15 krefi Apr 23, 2010 03:52 PM

Gotcha. I saw the overbumping part. But I was making a distinction between overbumping and relisting. In any event, I won't be an offender. :)