RC Groups

RC Groups
    Motorcycles
        Help! Pats brakes outer cable needed!

#1 elkay31 Feb 27, 2010 04:29 PM

Pats brakes outer cable needed!

Hi all, i have just bought a used front pair of Pats brakes in great condition, but they do not have the inner or outer cables for them, does anyone know if the outer cables can be bought or maybe suggest a suitable alternative for them? It looks like they slip inside the small hexagonal bolt on the caliper which is then clamped with a small grubscrew.
Thanks in advance, Lee.

#2 test driver Feb 27, 2010 04:44 PM

contact scaulfi on this forum

#3 elkay31 Feb 27, 2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test driver (Post 14464226)
contact scaulfi on this forum

Thanks.

#4 scaulfi Feb 27, 2010 06:49 PM

I think I still have some left, but I need to know the lengths you need, you don't want to be short..

#5 Lukey B Mar 02, 2010 06:27 AM

Hey guys... don't know if anyone else has tried this.... but for my venom( I know it's not 1/5th but still uses the same principle) I went to K-Mart of all places... and I bought a packet of "trace line", in the fishing department... there is heaps of different gaudges, and the quality is far better than anything I can find at a hobby store.... and you can also buy crimp tubes to fit... really cheap, good gear, and you get enough for about 10 pairs of brake cables too.....

Still haven't found anything for outer yet though....

hope it helps someone out...

..Luke..

#6 Torrance Mar 02, 2010 06:31 AM

antenna tubes perhaps?

#7 Lukey B Mar 02, 2010 06:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And here is some pics.....

#8 Lukey B Mar 02, 2010 06:38 AM

I've tried antenna tubes... but they're way too stiff for the little bikes...

#9 elkay31 Mar 02, 2010 02:39 PM

Great Idea Lukey, gonna get some and deffo try it out, I used an electric guitar string(the top E, for those who play) seems to work ok....

#10 Akura2 Mar 02, 2010 03:08 PM

you can also use leader line... I use that all the time on my bikes.... nylon-coated steel leader line... and it come in various strengths..

http://www.castawaylakes.com/images/...ermaterial.jpg

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/c...1?$main-Large$

as far as the outer housing, I've been looking for a local source for years (literally)

#11 Allan Waterfall Mar 02, 2010 03:22 PM

My local model shop which is mainly plane orientated sells lead out wire for controle line models,they also sell a nylon outer in three ft. lengths which the wire slides in nicely.
I don't know what it's called but I believe it's what the electric fliers use for routing closed loop systems through fuselages,it's about 2mm OD.

It can be made to hold a curve by a quick warm with a cigarette lighter.

You can see it in the bottom pic..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...thsidesSB3.jpg

Allan

#12 DEISEL Mar 02, 2010 03:42 PM

Brake cable

Hi I think this is what i used it worked great bought it at a hobby shop.
sullivan #s507 tower #is lxfu94 it has a yellow jacket and brass coated stainles cable it is the same as what nf bikes come with.

#13 Akura2 Mar 02, 2010 04:39 PM

the only thing don't like about that stuff is that it frays... especially when you have to make more than one adjustment... and once it's frayed you may NEVER remove it from it's jacket or you won't get it back in

#14 DEISEL Mar 02, 2010 07:25 PM

brake cable

Hi Thats why its brass coated so you can tin the end with soulder.

#15 BACKEMFNRG Mar 02, 2010 09:09 PM

I've mentioned at NAUSEUM that to make the outher sheths is a piece O cake!

just get "French wire" or "Boullion" (Med size) from Ebay for a couple bucks, some heat shrink & K&S tubing and make yourself with above fishing gear.

If you want a link just ask, getting tired of digging it up for no reason.

Almost identicle to Pats brake cables.