RC Groups

RC Groups
    Slope
        Discussion L.E.G. Spindrift test flight

#1 SF Sloper Feb 10, 2010 02:54 PM

L.E.G. Spindrift test flight

Spindrift test flight here:
Spindrift RC slope sailplane first test flight (0 min 33 sec)

This was tested on a North-Westerly day which is not optimum. It's a little twitchy to fly due to the fact that I'm using an older transmitter without exponential. I think it needs a bit more nose weight. It was doing OK until I got over the lower dunes and out of the lift band. Looking forward to flying it soon in better conditions :)
Paul

#2 DT56 Feb 10, 2010 03:25 PM

Nice! Thanks for the video!!!

#3 dawsonh Feb 10, 2010 06:17 PM

That was a tough side slope condition for a maiden... but she flew! Looks good.

I think you just needed lower elevator and aileron rates for that first flight... to smooth things out.

I can't wait to see the next video. My Spindrift is almost done (as well as a new Le Fish and Guppy); but we have just had either tons of snow or no wind in Flagstaff.

Congrats.

Dawson

#4 slopemeno Feb 10, 2010 06:48 PM

Saturday should be really good on a south facing hill. Something with antennas on it...

#5 MattyB Feb 11, 2010 05:53 AM

Ahhh, doncha just love maidening a new plane, especially a totally new design...! Looks like it will be fine once the throws are tamed a little though. Look on the bright side - at least it wasn't a fuseless plank, with the precision needed on reflex and CG position - those maidens tend to last ~0.25 seconds in my experience! :o :D

#6 SF Sloper Feb 11, 2010 11:36 AM

Thanks for the replies.
It really flew tail heavy. I did add some lead to the nose and will wait for more favorable conditions for the next test at which time I hope to get some practice in with the rudder. :)