RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Heli Talk
        Discussion Skookum 720

#1 Rickn816 Feb 07, 2010 09:03 AM

Skookum 720

The GPS Module is now shipping. Firmware version 3.32.

Vibrations continue to be an issue. Skookum is shipping a thick aluminum mounting plate for the SK 720 to help with vibrations. See their site for videos and more infomation.

Rick

#2 Rickn816 Feb 16, 2010 01:59 PM

My Beta test unit should be arriving shortly. We are not getting the production firmware.

Rick

#3 exit44rc Feb 16, 2010 07:31 PM

I'm particularly interested in this unit as well. I heard the owner of Skookum (Art Skookum) on the Inside Heli podcast and was really impressed. I'll look forward to hearing what you have to say about it.

#4 Rickn816 Feb 17, 2010 10:29 AM

The Future

This is amazing. HP has a new accelerometer that can detect motion as small as a human hair. While we don't need this resolution on a heli, it does demonstrate that the next few years will be exciting.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1548674/h...es?partner=rss

Rick

#5 Rickn816 Feb 20, 2010 02:58 PM

Beta Testing

There are about 24 of us. Art set up a discussion board in Google. There are a number of interesting features including a flight trim feature and the PC software loaded in the unit. At this time, there is a vibration alert through the status LEDs and in flight recorder mode. When you connect it to the PC via USB, your PC sees it as a storage device.

The bailout function is worked through bank selection.

Art promises more features to come, so this should set the bar for competitors.

Rick

#6 Rickn816 Feb 23, 2010 03:04 PM

Word is, they are in the mail. I hope to post photos Saturday.

Rick

#7 superfer93 Mar 01, 2010 01:57 PM

Graphs from data downloaded

What type of data will be available for download... ? will it include info similar to what phoenix ice? as such the correlation of both data would be nice to really get to know your potential.

Do you any videos you could share focusing on the setup as well as the response of the unit, as well ETA and Estimated price?

How does it compares to aligns, which seems similar and retails for around 450 including the necesary flybarless head?

#8 Rickn816 Mar 02, 2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfer93 (Post 14479624)
What type of data will be available for download... ? will it include info similar to what phoenix ice? as such the correlation of both data would be nice to really get to know your potential.

Do you any videos you could share focusing on the setup as well as the response of the unit, as well ETA and Estimated price?

How does it compares to aligns, which seems similar and retails for around 450 including the necesary flybarless head?

http://www.skookumrobotics.com/products/sk720.html

It will do more than the Ice.

ETA and Price not yet established. We all hope that it will be less than the V-Bar, but no decisions have been made.

IMO, it exceeds the Align unit, if only because it contains 2 GB memory and a 32-bit cpu. The unit also has accelerometers in addition to MEMS gyro units. Art stated his next project is a GPS add-on.

Flight video:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=193745

Rick

#9 Rickn816 Mar 07, 2010 11:03 AM

First Flight

Just a 3-minute hover in my back yard.

I have never owned a FBL controller that was so easy to set up.
This thing flew perfectly the first time. Tail was rock-solid.

When I get clearance, I will post more details.

Rick

#10 superfer93 Mar 08, 2010 08:41 PM

seems like something I must try, expectations are high... but want it now! Waiting makes all other alternatives seem good! (even when they aren't) Lol!

#11 exit44rc Mar 08, 2010 09:38 PM

Any idea when this will be released for purchase? Of course, that's probably the million dollar question.

#12 Rickn816 Mar 09, 2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit44rc (Post 14544789)
Any idea when this will be released for purchase? Of course, that's probably the million dollar question.

No word. I will post as soon as I know.

Rick

#13 gravydrive Mar 09, 2010 11:58 AM

Got any pics you can post?

#14 mosca.br Mar 09, 2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickn816 (Post 14530665)
Just a 3-minute hover in my back yard.

I have never owned a FBL controller that was so easy to set up.
This thing flew perfectly the first time. Tail was rock-solid.

When I get clearance, I will post more details.

Rick

Any firmware updates or software updates for you early birds?

#15 Rickn816 Mar 10, 2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosca.br (Post 14553682)
Any firmware updates or software updates for you early birds?

That is what testing is about. We have a wide variety of hardware and operating systems to help find the glitches. We do not have the release firmware yet.

Rick