RC Groups

RC Groups
    Hand Launch
        Discussion Introduction Twister 2

#1 Alex Hoekstra Jan 08, 2010 01:19 PM

Introduction Twister 2
 
7 Attachment(s)
During the Flying season after every contest and practiceday we end up with a group of dutch toppilots in a restaurant evaluating the day and the different designs and so we also came to talk about what futures a model should have to have that litle bit extra what separates the topmodels from the everymans model.
Ofcourse a good glide, good launch and good thermaling was mentioned but even more important was a very low inertia and surprisingly enough flying weight.
A low inertia wil give better handling and higher launches and it will let you know where the thermals are from a bigger distance. With a low inertia you wil be able to feel the horizontal airstreams better that are flowing towards the thermals .

Twister 2

So what is changed compared to Twister 1

Wing:

First the wingsections. Without giving up the highlift that the sections of Twister 1 had we were able to make the new sections a great deal faster in al the 3 flying fases, Launch , glide and thermal.
To make the wing lighter the rohacell is sanded down from 1 to 0.8 mm.
The spar is moved more in front so the spreadtow D box became les wide
extra bonus is that the bending stiffness from the wing increased even though the section is slightly thinner.
The new wing will have standard Carbon D box/Disser and is about 10 grams lighter making the D box wing about 110 grams or 135 gr with RDS.
The dhedral is increase to 6.5 degrees which makes handling even better

Fuselage

The fuselage is changed also drasticaly.
First the boom crosssection is made elliptical making the fuse even stiffer but the mayor change is that the nose is shortend drasticaly. The 10 grams we were able to save in the wing is put to good use by cutting down the nose to make the inertia even lower. The bonus to this is that the fuse can hold a 4 cell 500mah batterie pack giving with my Jeti system about 4.5 hours of flying.
The short nose gives extremaly good handling also in very turbulant ans windy weather.
Ofcourse we could have gone for a plane of only 240 grams but non of us flies ever any lighter then 260 grams anyway and the extra glide and the higher launch the 260 gram plane wil give will outweight the 20 gram weight win.
anytime. The fuse will come standard with a 2.4Ghz friendly kevlar nose.

Horizontal Stab.

The horizontal is increased in span and surface a bit and the section is slightly thinner and faster then the old HT08 . The moving part is also increase slightly to give better controle.

Vert stab.
The vertical is changed completly and made symetrical above and beneath the boom. The section is changed also and has less drag during launch and flying with the same cl max at launch speed as the HT 23
The rudder is 50% of the total surface.

So no fancy shapes on this one but a high performing ship that launches extremely well with great legs and very good handling.

#2 Thermaln2 Jan 08, 2010 01:27 PM

Alex,

Nice work. Is the Disser only on the bottom of those without the solid CF bottoms? It looks that way from the pictures of the "Blue" tipped one. Or is the top dusted with paint, like the blue?

chris

#3 jcats Jan 08, 2010 01:27 PM

Oooh! That yellow, red and blue is niiiice.

Jun C.

#4 Alex Hoekstra Jan 08, 2010 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermaln2 (Post 14016302)
Alex,

Nice work. Is the Disser only on the bottom of those without the solid CF bottoms? It looks that way from the pictures of the "Blue" tipped one. Or is the top dusted with paint, like the blue?

chris

There are no solid carbon bottoms. The bottom is symply painted black for visability.

#5 Kai@UCSB Jan 08, 2010 04:54 PM

Alex,

The new version looks really good !!
How much launch height you gain compare to this and the previous version?

-Kai

#6 soarluck Jan 08, 2010 05:47 PM

Any chance in getting a close up picture of the hingeline with the flapperon deflected .I have never yet figured out what the hinge is covered with .Or is it??


Thanks
SL

#7 GaryO Jan 08, 2010 05:48 PM

Price and availability if ordered now?

Didn't the Bay Area guys just do a group order a while back?

GAry

#8 Alex Hoekstra Jan 09, 2010 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kai@UCSB (Post 14018123)
Alex,

The new version looks really good !!
How much launch height you gain compare to this and the previous version?

-Kai

Its hard to say because since the testflights started the ground is covered with snow and there is no way i can launch full power without sliding. I did notice a difference when its windy. The Twister 2 keeps its speed longer. In dead air there won't be much difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soarluck (Post 14018522)
Any chance in getting a close up picture of the hingeline with the flapperon deflected .I have never yet figured out what the hinge is covered with .Or is it??


Thanks
SL

The Twister1 has a hingeline from 2 layers of 25gr glas(inside and outsidelayer that came together)
Twister2 has a hingeline of kevlar fabric.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryO (Post 14018527)
Price and availability if ordered now?
GAry

You have to check with Cliff Witney from Atlanta Hobby.

#9 Jonas M. Jan 09, 2010 03:06 AM

Wow, Alex!

Looks just awesome!

Can you post some pictures of the fuselage without the wing?



Jonas

#10 Oystmyr Jan 09, 2010 11:04 AM

Nice to see a new model Alex, the old one was to good :D

Do you have more data around the new Twister like wing area, airfoils etc?

Best regards
Mattias Hammarskiöld

#11 Alex Hoekstra Jan 09, 2010 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oystmyr (Post 14023873)
Nice to see a new model Alex, the old one was to good :D

Do you have more data around the new Twister like wing area, airfoils etc?

Best regards
Mattias Hammarskiöld

I am not publishing the airfoils. The rooth is 6.8% running down to the tip of 5.1%

#12 Josee Jan 09, 2010 01:43 PM

It looks real good honey and I look forward to see it for real in two days, you too by the way..;-)

Josée...xxx

#13 ROOSWH Jan 09, 2010 02:05 PM

I had heard that Cliff was getting a Twister, but it looks like from what was said, that he will be selling them?? If that's right, I wonder how many I could get from him if I swapped him my old Air Command Gyro Copter?

Or did I interpret Alex's post wrong??

( "Gyro Copter" actually the trade name for the Benson Gyro Copter). Cliff is a fan of ultralights etc.

walt

#14 atlav8r Jan 09, 2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROOSWH (Post 14025181)
I had heard that Cliff was getting a Twister, but it looks like from what was said, that he will be selling them?? If that's right, I wonder how many I could get from him if I swapped him my old Air Command Gyro Copter?

Or did I interpret Alex's post wrong??

( "Gyro Copter" actually the trade name for the Benson Gyro Copter). Cliff is a fan of ultralights etc.

walt


Hum... A real Benson? maybe we could talk Walter, it all depends on the dollar/euro ;-)

We have been working with Alex for a while now and have received several of the Twister 1 planes (very nice) and have the new T2's on order for March deliveries.

The phone has been ringing but we could fly the Benson at my house..... lets see, if we could fly it inverted would it generate thermals?

#15 ROOSWH Jan 09, 2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlav8r (Post 14025414)
Hum... A real Benson? maybe we could talk Walter, it all depends on the dollar/euro ;-)

We have been working with Alex for a while now and have received several of the Twister 1 planes (very nice) and have the new T2's on order for March deliveries.

The phone has been ringing but we could fly the Benson at my house..... lets see, if we could fly it inverted would it generate thermals?

Sorry, I sold the Benson 35 years ago, I have the much better Air Command e/w Rotax engine. I knew one guy who flew his Gyro inverted. Not sure I've flown mine since his accident. Not scared, just lost interest.

Hope to have a look at your Twister IIs when you get them Cliff.

" Live Long and Prosper "

walt


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.