RC Groups

RC Groups
    Night Flying
        Discussion Thin, light weight LED wire?

#1 Turbo442 Dec 20, 2009 02:11 PM

Thin, light weight LED wire?

Anyone have any ideas on a source for thin light weight LED wire?

I see this on the radioshack website.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036277

More wire than a chicken coop.

Get a three-spool assortment totaling 315 feet at a value price. This enamel-covered solid-conductor copper wire is perfect for winding your own coils and electromagnets.

40 feet of 22-gauge wire
75 feet of 26-gauge wire
200 feet of 30-gauge wire

#2 Turbo442 Dec 20, 2009 02:20 PM

30 gauge sounds pretty good to me, I guess I will need to see how it looks when I pick it up.

#3 Ghost 2501 Dec 20, 2009 05:55 PM

what about using servo gauge wire?

#4 gluemaster Dec 20, 2009 09:04 PM

I hacked up an extra cat 5 cable from my high speed internet modem I had lying around for my computer. It had 8 or so different wires in it and they are very light, not sure of the gauge though. I have them on my Flyzone Cessna and they work fine. I just taped them to the fuse and the bottom of the wing.

#5 DampRabbit Dec 21, 2009 05:55 AM

I use the cat 5 ethernet cable too. It's somewhat tough so it's not always breaking and it's easy to use.

#6 PaulVi Dec 21, 2009 03:15 PM

I use the wire from silver satin phone wire.. It is stranded wire and small gadge also works well for replacing ant wires on recivers

#7 Flight time Dec 21, 2009 03:17 PM

Go to hobbylobby in the dept. for doll houses they sell a double stranded wire for lights in a doll houses it is very small insulated and twist together real easy to stop the glitches..

#8 Diggs Dec 21, 2009 09:07 PM

The Radio Shack magnetic wire will work, but it's a PITA to work with IMO. I used it on a couple of projects, but will look for alternatives. The HobbyLobby deal sounds interesting. Is it affordable?

Diggs

#9 carguy84 Dec 22, 2009 12:13 AM

I use Cat5 wire as well.

#10 olmod Dec 22, 2009 05:24 AM

There is a winding wire often used for making RF chokes that i use wich has the advantage that the insulation burns away with the soldering ;)
no stripping needed.

#11 rampman Dec 22, 2009 09:06 PM

I strip wire pairs from colored ribbon cables. The best I have found yet. Why? They are attached to each other so when you pull off two wires you get two wires that stay attached until you seperate them at the ends to solder to your project.
Also, being they are colored, I strip off xx feet for the plane I am setting up. I prefer to use the red and brown wires and red is + and brown is - but any pair will work. You just establish the polarity you want the colors to be.
Also, if you don't have colored ribbon cable use the more common gray wires but mark one with a sharpie.

Rick

#12 simhatus Dec 25, 2009 05:08 AM

Hi

I used the colored ribbon cable to wire up my led's also use a slightly larger gauge for replacment ariels and making up extension leads.

Have more or less ran out of both and were i got it from no longer do it. Anyone know were to get it?

Simon

#13 BladeMan Dec 30, 2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flight time (Post 13874430)
Go to hobbylobby in the dept. for doll houses they sell a double stranded wire for lights in a doll houses it is very small insulated and twist together real easy to stop the glitches..

Thanks for the idea, I picked up Doll House electrical wire. 50 feet in a package (houseworks) is the brand name for $5. It will be easy to run and easy to hide.

#14 chris1379 Jan 12, 2010 10:15 PM

Check the train department in your hobby shop. I found some 1, 2, and 3-conductor wire that works well.

Chris

#15 Darth_Elevator Jan 13, 2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diggs (Post 13876935)
The Radio Shack magnetic wire will work, but it's a PITA to work with IMO. I used it on a couple of projects, but will look for alternatives.

I've used that same wire and agree it's a pain to work with. I since have switched to using the small wire from inside old printer cables. Not the new USB cables, but the old serial cables that have about 20 wires in them. They have something like 20 different wires in them, each with a different color insulation. These individual wires are very lightweight and thin, but not too brittle (I used to use the wire from old telephone extension cables but that was too brittle). Very easy to solder up; you just use your soldering iron tip to melt a little of the insulation off to expose the wire to solder on to.

Go to your local thrift store and you can buy a six-foot or longer cable for a buck.