RC Groups

RC Groups
    Flying Wings
        Build Log Delta Vee - Flying Wing with No Movable Control Surfaces

#1 jimsky Dec 13, 2009 04:41 PM

Delta Vee - Flying Wing with No Movable Control Surfaces

Quick video of my Delta Vee, a Bluecor Delta Flying Wing with no movable control surfaces...all done via motor vectoring.

Jimsky

Delta Vee Demo.wmv (0 min 56 sec)

#2 Atom1025 Dec 13, 2009 05:07 PM

Sweet Jimsky! Cant wait to see the flight vids!!!

#3 matwelli Dec 13, 2009 07:22 PM

Looks good

ummm

what happens if ya loose motor, no way at all to control the glide :)

#4 jimsky Dec 13, 2009 07:33 PM

Good point, but it's only Bluecor and a couple of cheap motors and ESC's...just wanted to see if it can be done. Heli's don't glide very well either.

Full speed ahead! :D :D :D

Jimsky

#5 jimsky Jan 24, 2010 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally did the maiden flight today. I had Tom Hunt (Mr. Electric) be my test pilot.

Took off without a hitch, Tom trimed it out (lost the reflex) and did a few circuits. He felt it didn't have enought throws (I had reduced them from what was shown in the video), so he landed (story in itself) and I bumped them up.

Second launch was fine, much better. Tom was amazed how stable the plane was. He tried a roll and it was like trying to get a supertanker to make a U turn. Tom was unable to explain why this was so. He eventually gave me the radio for a try.

Flies like a trainer...flat and level, amazingly stable. Turns are slow to initilize but eventually they catch, and track right through. So much for this rolling like a drill.

Tooled around some more and decided to bring her in. I lined her up to land, floats quite well for a flat plate airframe. I chopped the throttle and Tom shouted "NO!" and it took a moment to realized my mistake. Zero control surfaces means zero control when gliding with the motor off. The plane started to veer to the right and after I realized the right stick was doing nothing to fix it... I wacked open the throttle. It nose up, stalled and dropped in...breaking a servo arm on the right motor.

So it did work and it did fly....that's all I was looking for. How to land, well I got to work on that. Like I said, it's cheap winter build fun using Bluecor and Hobby City motors, ESC's and servos.

It will be back!

Jimsky

#6 Larry21603 Jan 26, 2010 05:18 PM

Are u going to add control surfaces? .. or just a rudder.

#7 jimsky Jan 26, 2010 05:57 PM

I think a rudder is the simplest route...

Jimsky

#8 ED3 Feb 12, 2010 07:50 PM

i will try to build one since it been raining here in cali, rainy day project