RC Groups

RC Groups
    Car Talk
        Question Shaft Driven or Belt Driven 4WD?

#1 deathstar Dec 03, 2009 07:03 AM

Shaft Driven or Belt Driven 4WD?

I just wanted to know your thoughts. I've stuck to shaft driven forever and just acquired myself a HB Cyclone that's belt driven 4WD. I've noticed most people that run in modified class use belt driven.

Are there particular pro's and con's associated with either or is one better than the other?

thanks.

#2 freechip Dec 03, 2009 09:12 AM

Pro & Cons for both and both will depend on who you asked.

#3 Silver Streak Dec 03, 2009 10:15 AM

It isn't going to matter, just get the one you like best. There are many differences, most insignificant. The only real difference I could ever feel while driving them was that a shaft drive always felt more forgiving near the limit than a belt drive, but that could have just been a difference in the two cars. My shaft drive car (TL-01) would slowly start to slide and could slide in complete control around a corner. My belt drive car (XXX-S) would be fine and suddenly loose traction and snap around. I never really put much thought into the reason until this thread, but maybe the belt stretches a little bit and once the tires slip all of the stored energy is released in the form of tire spin? I don't really know, but that was my experience with the two and comparing a TL-01 to a XXX-S is apples and oranges although I was just as competitive with the Tamiya as I was with the Losi.

#4 jettrooper02 Dec 03, 2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freechip (Post 13728409)
Pro & Cons for both and both will depend on who you asked.

well said.

#5 deathstar Dec 03, 2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Streak (Post 13728822)
It isn't going to matter, just get the one you like best. There are many differences, most insignificant. The only real difference I could ever feel while driving them was that a shaft drive always felt more forgiving near the limit than a belt drive, but that could have just been a difference in the two cars.

Y' know... I was thinking the same this.

I'm guessing belt drive cars are good for high speed tracks with plenty of straights, whereas shaft driven are preferred for tracks with plenty of twisties.

My brother has a five year old TL-01 and that has great turning control on the track (haven't taken it off road though). I'm finding the Cyclone to spin out a lot when I hit the brake or release the throttle and make a turn (brushed stock). I guess I just need to feather the throttle a bit.

#6 Papa-Jay Dec 04, 2009 05:38 AM

roomy? shaft
off road? belt need protection from dirt.
looks? I prefer shaft LOL