RC Groups

RC Groups
    Flying Wings
        Discussion how can you tell if you prop is cavatating?

#1 grfcon Nov 18, 2009 09:09 PM

how can you tell if you prop is cavatating?

is there any type of sound to it?

#2 Atom1025 Nov 18, 2009 09:19 PM

It will make an awful sound. The 8x4 GWS sounds like Chewbacca yelling. I think the blades are actually flattening out, GWS are notorious for this and RPMs should not exceed the rated limit.

Do you mean its not biting the air or its flattening out? What prop?

#3 Thekid3418 Nov 18, 2009 10:32 PM

The secret is, no prop or airscrew "cavitates". They can stall though ;)

One person theorized that the stalled sound was the prop-tips vibrating do to the high pressure as the tips approach the speed of sound. It'll make an insanely low nose, and make a loud "whoosh"ing nose as the prop attempts to bite the air.

#4 grfcon Nov 19, 2009 12:30 AM

no awful sound... I converted this glider wing to power but beefed it up WAY too much.... was underpowered at about 40 oz with a suppo 2217-6... so I added another one :rolleyes::rolleyes: I am hoping the twin will fly but it will weigh about 3 lbs. when balanced when ready. :eek: running an apc 7x5(e or sport...cant remember offhand) on em and I think that it will have enough power...though I won't be catching it on landings anymore at triple the wing loading:eek: you guys think this old dog will fly ? it is a boomerang conversion. frank cavazos design.. I think he XE combat wings are similar and they used to sell his stuff.. a friend of mine has the XE and the foil looks pretty similar. hoping to fly it in about two weeks as it is almost ready... thoughts are appreciated and wish me luck:D