RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Warbirds
        Discussion JPower P-38 (Sold By Banana Hobby)

#1 fred_n Oct 18, 2009 08:10 PM

JPower P-38 (Sold By Banana Hobby)

Check out the new P-38 Lightning on BananaHobby.com. I've been looking for one so pre-ordered it. It'll be available in November 2009.

Any comments on this plane?

#2 Orion Pax Oct 18, 2009 08:12 PM

Here's the link for those wanting a short cut.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1944.html

Well it says it is 6 channel and 55" WS with retracts. I am anxious to see this. They will get my money if the video proves to be good. I have bought from them before and have had good results. Can't wait for more.

#3 mfpage Oct 18, 2009 09:02 PM

Looks Promising

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred_n
Check out the new P-38 Lightning on BananaHobby.com. I've been looking for one so pre-ordered it. It'll be available in November 2009.

Looks to be a very promising flyer. The only problem is BH customer service or lack of and lack of spare parts.

They carry some great looking planes, but try to order parts for the plane before you buy "the plane". Try ordering something simple like a spare prop.

Good Luck.
mfpage

#4 800mZero Oct 18, 2009 09:11 PM

oooh its EPO---hobby lobby is carrying thier mustang--maybe thier p-38 next????????

#5 mfpage Oct 18, 2009 11:10 PM

Banana Hobby Forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred_n

Check out the Banana Hobby Forum. Very interesting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/banana-hobby-560/

#6 Irg Oct 18, 2009 11:57 PM

:eek: Wow! :eek:

I want one!!!

Was just thinking the other day how the 38 has always been my favorite aircraft of all time. I've always wanted an RC version, but seeing the expense of twin aircraft, and the low run times on electric twins, I've shied away from a Lightning.

Will be keeping an eye on this one for sure though.

#7 CGReload Oct 19, 2009 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfpage
Check out the Banana Hobby Forum. Very interesting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/banana-hobby-560/

Am I missing something? Is their a topic on this P38 cause I cant find it.

#8 Ickarusmelt Oct 19, 2009 01:08 AM

A P38 is a nice dream, and a warbird with two motors is so cool. But be careful with your bucks.

A buddy had an E Flite P38 which did fly great (at least until he got too cocky and crashed--not the plane's fault). It is definitely not a beginner plane. And as an "ARF" it is a complicated plane to set up with two motors, and didn't sell well and this is probably the reason E Flite discontinued it. I got the last one our LHS had now on the build table, and it takes a lot of tinkering. I figure a P38 is a challenge, and guys here are making book on mine :p.

The Banana Hobby ad is suspicious. Click the link in the second post on this thread by Orion Pax. The pics look cool, but no videos. The ad is full of redundant hype with obvious Chinglish wording. Properly functioning retractable gear on a P38 of that size is hard to believe. And the "ready to fly in just minutes", "super stable for beginner" and "high roll rate" make experienced guys cringe.

Personally I would wait and see what actually happens with the Banana Hobby P38.

Icky

#9 Ldm Oct 19, 2009 03:54 AM

BH is notoriuos for importing planes with the same mo ----
cheap servos ---usually fail
speed controllers that dont work
repeated customer comments that dont get answered
On RCU , a moderator even bought from them and had problems , then the post were taken off line and the problem seem to disappear .
The biggest longest problems they had started with the very expensive F18 -- bad retracts , bad servos , the plane was a whopping $600 and you get a foam plan with cheap eletrics .
If you do buy --but the shell , no eletrics add your own

#10 BEAR-AvHistory Oct 19, 2009 09:28 AM

Its really hard to believe that with all the horror stories about Banana on every RC forum that anyone would buy something much less pre-order from them.

#11 Smokescreen38 Oct 19, 2009 09:46 AM

They have had their troubles... but they do bring innovative products to the market.

If they could tighten up some of their practices a bit, they could really grab some serious market share.

Pete seems like a good guy and has always been helpful and open from what I have seen...

#12 rob737 Oct 19, 2009 11:07 AM

i've always liked the p38, in fact i just finished building the phase3 kit from hobbypeople. but, with this one you have to factor in the "banana hobby" thing. i would not risk sending them 300 bucks, especially if it is not in stock. too risky ordering from them, in my experience anyways........

#13 Smokescreen38 Oct 19, 2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob737
i've always liked the p38, in fact i just finished building the phase3 kit from hobbypeople. but, with this one you have to factor in the "banana hobby" thing. i would not risk sending them 300 bucks, especially if it is not in stock. too risky ordering from them, in my experience anyways........

The Phase-3 P-38 is a really nice flying plane, good performing on the stock motors...looks good in the air too.

...unfortunately, its quite brittle and fragile. If that plane was constructed from EPO it would be amazing.

#14 Ldm Oct 19, 2009 12:06 PM

You do have options .
1)Easy tiger models --out of NY , Curtis seems to be responsive and imports many of the same planes
2)jet tech rc models , there the manufacture of many of the e-jets and prop planes coming into the USA , he will sell direct from China and on E-bay -I have purchased from him with zero issues direct from China

#15 Smokescreen38 Oct 19, 2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGReload
Am I missing something? Is their a topic on this P38 cause I cant find it.

I started one this morning...quite a few views but no comments from BH or anyone...as of right now.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1128489