RC Groups

RC Groups
    Life, The Universe, and Politics
        Discussion Are you guys watching the boy in the balloon right now?

#1 Buran Oct 15, 2009 02:02 PM

Are you guys watching the boy in the balloon right now?
 
I hope the kid is OK, and I imagine a husband is going to be chewed out by wifey.

It's on all the news channels.

#2 Tram Oct 15, 2009 02:06 PM

I'd hate to have to do "show and tell" after that kid on Monday.. :)

#3 oldcoot88 Oct 15, 2009 02:09 PM

Why not just fly a heli above the balloon and force it down?

#4 redbird340 Oct 15, 2009 02:11 PM

Is this a first in LTUP? Live coverage. :D

#5 Sprydle Oct 15, 2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldcoot88
Why not just fly a heli above the balloon and force it down?

The balloon looks pretty fragile, I would think that the downwash would destroy it.

It's a pretty difficult rescue - maybe a large net slung between two helicopters would do the trick, so that they don't damage the baloon with their downwash?

Hope he makes it - poor kid must be terrified.

#6 Buran Oct 15, 2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbird340
Is this a first in LTUP? Live coverage. :D


:D I choose to watch it on FOX; I want the right wing and anti-Obama slant :D

This better ot be a hoax :p

#7 Buran Oct 15, 2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprydle
The balloon looks pretty fragile, I would think that the downwash would destroy it.

It's a pretty difficult rescue - maybe a large net slung between two helicopters would do the trick, so that they don't damage the baloon with their downwash?

Hope he makes it - poor kid must be terrified.


Two aircraft in close proximity is always dangerous :(

#8 oldcoot88 Oct 15, 2009 02:15 PM

It's Dumbya's fault.

#9 Buran Oct 15, 2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldcoot88
It's Dumbya's fault.


Absolutely. Iím watching FOX and am patiently waiting for someone to suggest shooting it down :D

Seriously, a balloon expert says this thing COULD stay up for days, weeks. I bet this kid is freaked.

#10 The Other Dave Oct 15, 2009 02:22 PM

OMG...that thing took off less than 5 miles from me..

I guess I should turn on the TV or Radio more often.

#11 redbird340 Oct 15, 2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buran
I want the right wing and anti-Obama slant :D

I bet the unexpected lift, caused by the sudden warming of air, was the result of a collective passing of gas by a gathering of right-wingers at a tea party in the area.

Thermals courtesy of your local right-wingers. :p

#12 aerogel Oct 15, 2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buran
Absolutely. Iím watching FOX and am patiently waiting for someone to suggest shooting it down :D
.

First thing that came to mind when I saw it on the tube a sniper in a hile needs to put a small hole in it...

http://www.connpost.com/ci_13568787

#13 oldcoot88 Oct 15, 2009 02:29 PM

If the burner is running, it seems like the balloon should be stiff enough that a heli's downwash wouldn't collapse it, provided there's enough vertical separation. Wonder if the kid knows how to turn off the burner. :confused:

#14 Jeffery Oct 15, 2009 02:29 PM

The right wing slant at Fox has caused the left portion of the balloon to collapse. Looks like, if he's in there (if he ever really was in there), he'll be coming in for a landing directly.

#15 Jeffery Oct 15, 2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldcoot88
If the burner is running, it seems like the balloon should be stiff enough that a heli's downwash wouldn't collapse it, provided there's enough vertical separation. Wonder if the kid knows how to turn off the burner. :confused:

It's not a hot air balloon.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.