RC Groups

RC Groups
    Micro Helis
        Discussion Walkera CB100 In Our Hot Little Hands!!!

#1 dkfuji Sep 16, 2009 05:12 PM

Walkera CB100 In Our Hot Little Hands!!!
 
5 Attachment(s)
I was lucky enough to get a call from Wowhobbies.com this morning to let me know they had the new CB100's in stock. They were nice enough to let me get one today to test and fly around. Since I own the 4#3b, MSR and now a CB100, I guess I can post a comparison based on my experience flying all of them.

4#3b DB - Always has been a blast to fly. Equiped with the right motor/pinion combo and the 2605A rx I have been able to fly it outdoors with authority. It is still a handful at times indoors since it tends to dart around a bit. It also would take a newbie a little practice to get the hang of the take-off without skipping across the floor and smashing into something.

MSR - I have mine bound to a JR9303 and have eliminated all the mixes. It flies very nice indoors and outdoors (as long as there is little or no breeze) and is so light that a crash really doesn't damage much of anything. I have bounced it off the garage wall, pavement and cars with no damage.

CB100 - This little heli is very stable. It lifts off the ground stable and hovers literally hands off. I comes DBL stock and needs no mods for good forward flight. Pretty cool. I also like the looks of the heli. Nice canopy and the fin on the tail makes it look more like a heli and less of a toy. I did relocate the tail ESC to under the canopy to clean-up the look and protect the wiring in case of an outdoor mishap. :D

In general, if you are transitioning from a coax to a single rotor, the CB100 would be a darn good choice for the money. :D :D ;)

#2 AtTheCross Sep 16, 2009 05:16 PM

lucky!!!!!! do you know if he has parts in?

if you could only have one, between the mSR and CB100 which would you pick?

i know, i know, the answer to that question could lead to a 'flame on' ;)

#3 livonia bob Sep 16, 2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkfuji
I was lucky enough to get a call from Wowhobbies.com this morning to let me know they had the new CB100's in stock. They were nice enough to let me get one today to test and fly around. Since I own the 4#3b, MSR and now a CB100, I guess I can post a comparison based on my experience flying all of them.

4#3b DB - Always has been a blast to fly. Equiped with the right motor/pinion combo and the 2605A rx I have been able to fly it outdoors with authority. It is still a handful at times indoors since it tends to dart around a bit. It also would take a newbie a little practice to get the hang of the take-off without skipping across the floor and smashing into something.

MSR - I have mine bound to a JR9303 and have eliminated all the mixes. It flies very nice indoors and outdoors (as long as there is little or no breeze) and is so light that a crash really doesn't damage much of anything. I have bounced it off the garage wall, pavement and cars with no damage.

CB100 - This little heli is very stable. It lifts off the ground stable and hovers literally hands off. I comes DBL stock and needs no mods for good forward flight. Pretty cool. I also like the looks of the heli. Nice canopy and the fin on the tail makes it look more like a heli and less of a toy. I did relocate the tail ESC to under the canopy to clean-up the look and protect the wiring in case of an outdoor mishap. :D

In general, if you are transitioning from a coax to a single rotor, the CB100 would be a darn good choice for the money. :D :D ;)

I don't care how good it flies, it has a little to much pink on it for my taste. I think my wife might like it.. :D :D

#4 composit Sep 16, 2009 05:26 PM

Awesome Darryl. Thank you for the mini review. I am going to add this heli to my fleet.

#5 GITech Sep 16, 2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livonia bob
I don't care how good it flies, it has a little to much pink on it for my taste. I think my wife might like it.. :D :D

Hi Bob,

That cought me off guard too!

The blade grips are really clear anodized alu. The "pink" in the pic is some kind of camera f-up.

It's not really pink. I would laugh and cry at the same time if it were!!! :D

Thanks for the report dkfuji! :) Is the heli yours now?

Later,
Jay

#6 dkfuji Sep 16, 2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtTheCross
lucky!!!!!! do you know if he has parts in?

if you could only have one, between the mSR and CB100 which would you pick?

i know, i know, the answer to that question could lead to a 'flame on' ;)

If I had to pick one. It would probably be the CB100. The reason is I have 2 MSR's. 1 is with the stock radio and the other was BNF. The BNF I have fixed up to fly really nice. The stock I am not very impressed with. I know its the stock radio since the other on my 9303 flies great. So if you are comparing stock out of the box the CB100 seems to be a better choice. Strictly IMO. :D
Parts should be available by next week according to Wow.

#7 dkfuji Sep 16, 2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by composit
Awesome Darryl. Thank you for the mini review. I am going to add this heli to my fleet.

It is a really cool looking heli. I love the canopy. LOL. That was enough for me to keep this one. ;) Have you got your 4#3b back yet? LMK. I love working on this stuff...

#8 dkfuji Sep 16, 2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GITech
Hi Bob,

That cought me off guard too!

The blade grips are really clear anodized alu. The "pink" in the pic is some kind of camera f-up.

It's not really pink. I would laugh and cry at the same time if it were!!! :D

Thanks for the report dkfuji! :) Is the heli yours now?

Later,
Jay

Hi Jay. Yeah I really don't know what's up with my camera. Everything white comes up with a tint of pink. Maybe I just need a new one. :D Yeah this little one is not going to find its way back to Wow. I am going to keep it and work on making it outdoors worthy.

#9 dkfuji Sep 16, 2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livonia bob
I don't care how good it flies, it has a little to much pink on it for my taste. I think my wife might like it.. :D :D

Maybe that's the way to get mine to fly with me...but then that would be an invasion into my man space...Forget it. LOL!!!

#10 1Hammer Sep 16, 2009 06:14 PM

Hi Darryl,

Thanks for posting your review. :)

I was debating weather to go for the CB100 after getting a handle on the 4#3. Now I'm going to pick one up...sounds like a lot of fun.

Can't have too many helis. :eek: ;)

Cheers,
John

#11 CQE Flash Sep 16, 2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkfuji
I was lucky enough to get a call from Wowhobbies.com this morning to let me know they had the new CB100's in stock. They were nice enough to let me get one today to test and fly around. Since I own the 4#3b, MSR and now a CB100, I guess I can post a comparison based on my experience flying all of them.

4#3b DB - Always has been a blast to fly. Equiped with the right motor/pinion combo and the 2605A rx I have been able to fly it outdoors with authority. It is still a handful at times indoors since it tends to dart around a bit. It also would take a newbie a little practice to get the hang of the take-off without skipping across the floor and smashing into something.

MSR - I have mine bound to a JR9303 and have eliminated all the mixes. It flies very nice indoors and outdoors (as long as there is little or no breeze) and is so light that a crash really doesn't damage much of anything. I have bounced it off the garage wall, pavement and cars with no damage.

CB100 - This little heli is very stable. It lifts off the ground stable and hovers literally hands off. I comes DBL stock and needs no mods for good forward flight. Pretty cool. I also like the looks of the heli. Nice canopy and the fin on the tail makes it look more like a heli and less of a toy. I did relocate the tail ESC to under the canopy to clean-up the look and protect the wiring in case of an outdoor mishap. :D

In general, if you are transitioning from a coax to a single rotor, the CB100 would be a darn good choice for the money. :D :D ;)

Nice to hear a comparison at last and I'm not surprised with your comments either. I found the stability of this configuration very balanced. It certainly makes the 4#3 very enjoyable indoors at last.

4#3b 45 Bell mod:
RobZulu started us 4#3 nuts off on this a while back with some very positive results. Here's my version of the 45 Bell. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post13067858

Flash.

#12 Vimd Sep 16, 2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkfuji
It is a really cool looking heli. I love the canopy. LOL. That was enough for me to keep this one. ;) Have you got your 4#3b back yet? LMK. I love working on this stuff...

Dkfuji,

Does the CB100 have a weight problem? I am interested in how an AEO outrunner might go as a replacement for the inrunner main.

On my 4#3B it is a great motor and gives a good weight saving. I'm dreaming of an AEO outrunner main CB100.

Vimd

#13 dkfuji Sep 16, 2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vimd
Dkfuji,

Does the CB100 have a weight problem? I am interested in how an AEO outrunner might go as a replacement for the inrunner main.

On my 4#3B it is a great motor and gives a good weight saving. I'm dreaming of an AEO outrunner main CB100.

Vimd

As a matter of fact, that is going to be my first motor swap. I am going to install my 4.5g outrunner and see what I get. I think the CB100 will be a very agile heli with stability when needed. I will let you guys know how it goes in the am. So far I like how stable it is. I think it could lose a few grams to be more nimble for outdoors though. WIP... :D

#14 Vimd Sep 16, 2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkfuji
As a matter of fact, that is going to be my first motor swap. I am going to install my 4.5g outrunner and see what I get. I think the CB100 will be a very agile heli with stability when needed. I will let you guys know how it goes in the am. So far I like how stable it is. I think it could lose a few grams to be more nimble for outdoors though. WIP... :D

Glad I am thinking the same way. I'm keen to hear how it goes...

#15 jonathan9113 Sep 16, 2009 11:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vimd
Dkfuji,

Does the CB100 have a weight problem? I am interested in how an AEO outrunner might go as a replacement for the inrunner main.

On my 4#3B it is a great motor and gives a good weight saving. I'm dreaming of an AEO outrunner main CB100.

Vimd

The CB100 weights almost exactly the same as the 4#3B. Don't know if it is just a coincident. The canopy is slightly larger and it's from a completely different mold than the 4#3B. The length of the canopy is identical to the 4#3b but it is about 2mm wider and taller which allows extra room for the electronics. Ladies, there is no pink version of this heli, LOL. We are only shipping the Yellow-Blue-White version at WowHobbies.com.

Jonathan
WowHobbies.com


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.