RC Groups

RC Groups
    Parkflyers
        TACO II Scratch Build

#1 Acer Apr 15, 2003 06:06 PM

TACO II Scratch Build

1 Attachment(s)
Another thread got me interested in building a profile Fun Fly design named the Taco II. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=taco

It was originally designed for a .25 engine and has a 37" wingspan. I plan on using the "Golden Ticket" setup everyone is using on their 3D machines. (hacker 15L 4:1, 9 KAN 950's, 12x6 E prop) The control surfaces on this plane are HUGE as it was designed as a hovering, knife edging, tumbling 3D machine.

So far I have the wing completely built, per plan. On this plane the wing is the largest part, therefore the heaviest. Mine weighs in at 4.4 oz. and is constructed of mostly 1/16" balsa, 2, 1/4" balsa spars and a 1/4" CF ribbon running along each spar.

Here's the wing. It took about 3 hours to build from scratch.

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net

#2 Acer Apr 15, 2003 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the wing with plans for the fuse.

#3 Acer Apr 15, 2003 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Compaired to the Mini Flash...

#4 Acer Apr 15, 2003 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a shot of how thick the wing is,

#5 Acer Apr 15, 2003 06:25 PM

I think the empty weight of the plane will be around 12-15 oz. Estimated weight with battery/motor will be around 24 oz.

The Hacker setup pulls 47 oz. static and 37 oz. in flight thrust, so it should fly this plane great!

-- Acer

#6 Martin Hunter Apr 15, 2003 06:54 PM

What's the wing area on that?

I'm not really sure where you got your thrust numbers from, but I measure about 35 oz of thrust from the Golden Ticket on the bench. Sorry to nitpick :)

Martin

#7 Acer Apr 15, 2003 07:04 PM

Without ailerons the wing area is 347 sq. in. Including the ailerons the wing area is 461 sq. in.

Those thrust figures were what P-Calc gave me, they're probably wrong though. cound that 35 oz. somehow be the inflight thrust? Its awful close to the 37 oz. figure.

I did my own scientific test to find the thrust of the Hacker setup though. What I did was hold onto the motor very tightly with my arm above my head and hit the throttle!! :D

Just about pulled me off the ground :p

-- Acer

#8 Martin Hunter Apr 15, 2003 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love that wing area! She should float in beautifully even at 24 oz.

Here's a picture of my thrust stand. It's now onto a digital scale. The thrust numbers are static, but still on a plane that's 24 oz that's still 1.5:1 thrust:weight which is TONS for fun flying :)

Martin

#9 Acer Apr 15, 2003 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like that should get you pretty close. Here's a .jpg I converted from the plans, just to show you the size of the ailerons.

#10 Mike Hall Apr 15, 2003 08:10 PM

WOW, what a cool plane. I think i will laser cut me out a kit tomorrow :D

Mike

#11 Smash McCrash Apr 15, 2003 08:26 PM

Mike,
You could cut 2 and just forward one to me, thanks. :D

Mike

#12 Mike Hall Apr 15, 2003 08:51 PM

PM me and maybe we can work somethign out. :)

Mike

#13 mefly2 Apr 16, 2003 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Acer, are you building it at full plan size..37" WS? I'm also building one of these, I reduced the plans to about 3/4...makes about 27 1/2" WS.

I am also reducing the size of the wood...1/4" to 3/16". 1/16" sheet to 1/32", and so on. Ribs are staying 1/16" for strength, but I am doing away with the LE and wrapping 1/32" sheet from the top spar around the front to the bottom spar..should help reduce weight.

I sheeted the tail fin for strength also. Tail surfaces are 3/16"stick...haven't decided if I am going leave the cross braces out or not. Seem strong, but I probably should. So the weight of the airframe as seen in the pic is ~ 2 1/2 oz...hoping to keep the entire empty airframe under 4 oz. Wing needs sheeting and sanding, ailerons not done yet.

Your wing is looking great, should be an awesome little plane. When I reduced my plans before printing, I accidently put the scaling #'s wrong...came out with a plan with almost 50" span..:eek: . Maybe I'll have to build a .60 size Taco...:p !

I should add that I am going to be setting mine up for the time being w/ a GWS 300C, and probably just a single aileron servo for now...funds are short...:( .

#14 Tres Wright Apr 16, 2003 09:28 AM

mefly2:

==I reduced the plans to about 3/4...makes about 27 1/2" WS. ==

You read my mind! A backyard version! :p Where the heck have you been anyway? I haven't seen you around since "that" incident, I think you know what I mean ;)

#15 Dylwad Apr 16, 2003 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tres Wright
mefly2:

==I reduced the plans to about 3/4...makes about 27 1/2" WS. ==

You read my mind! A backyard version! :p

Tres, i built and flew the backyard version already, awesome plane, it sounds like a pod racer from star wars when you roll on high rates, and 3 foot loops with elev-flap mix on...

Mike hall, if you go to paul swanys website (the re-designer of the taco and the designer of the taco lite) youll find laser files......

Just remember to laterally balance the beast, i end up with a quarter taped to a wing tip on my 800 mah packs and a penny with lipoly packs

Start with LOW rates, 55 degrees on the elevator is real touchy, even with 50% expo

CG is about 1/4-1/2 inch behind the spar, and even at 27 inch span, at 14 ounces it floats in, and the gas version floats in at 2+ lbs, so 24 ounces should be perfect

Dylan